Irrigation System Question

Closed Thread
Old 08-14-2020, 03:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts
Default Irrigation System Question

My house is five years old and the irrigation system is supposed to have a feature where it doesn't turn on if there has been rain. The problem is that we can get a downpour and the system comes on shortly afterward.

I know that there is a sensor on the side of the house and it's has a little wafer thing that swells up when it rains and prevents the system from turning on.

Does anyone know how to fix this or do I have to call someone to service it?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
My house is five years old and the irrigation system is supposed to have a feature where it doesn't turn on if there has been rain. The problem is that we can get a downpour and the system comes on shortly afterward.

I know that there is a sensor on the side of the house and it's has a little wafer thing that swells up when it rains and prevents the system from turning on.

Try calling:

Central Pump & Supply
352-315-1075
2404 West Main St., Leesburg

They used to have them in stock. If you go there, I would take a photo of your sensor, because there are several different types. Very easy to install yourself.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Try calling:

Central Pump & Supply
352-315-1075
2404 West Main St., Leesburg

They used to have them in stock. If you go there, I would take a photo of your sensor, because there are several different types. Very easy to install yourself.
Thanks
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:31 PM
Veteran member

I would bet that ACE has the part.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinball wizard View Post
I would bet that ACE has the part.
I don't want to bet, but I think that ACE Hardware only sells the entire rain sensor unit which would not include the "solar sync" part. It would require you to cut the wires and replace the entire outside unit with a device that would only detect the rain, and you would lose the solar sync function in your Hunter controller. And, you would need to splice and reconnect the wires together. Central Pump and Supply sells a replacement part for just the Hunter rain sensor device. So, you would not need to cut and splice the wires, and you would retain the solar sync function. Some people have replaced the outside unit with just a rain sensor, but usually they install a wireless rain sensor instead of a wired device like the one sold at ACE.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Mine seems to work in reverse.....I start watering at 4 AM and several hours after it finishes it rains. I tried out smarting it by trusting the weather forecast and if it said rain then I turned it off and.....it never rained. Oh yeah, replaced the wafer thingy two years ago and the auto off works fine. I suspect that will need to be done every couple years. When it does rain I do check the panel to make sure it is turned off and so far, knock on anything that resembles wood, it is still working.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 08-14-2020, 05:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Mine seems to work in reverse.....I start watering at 4 AM and several hours after it finishes it rains. I tried out smarting it by trusting the weather forecast and if it said rain then I turned it off and.....it never rained. Oh yeah, replaced the wafer thingy two years ago and the auto off works fine. I suspect that will need to be done every couple years. When it does rain I do check the panel to make sure it is turned off and so far, knock on anything that resembles wood, it is still working.
Where did you buy the wafer thingy? I haven't found them anywhere.

Correction - Anywhere but Ebay. I just don't trust Ebay.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 08-14-2020 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,880 Times in 2,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Where did you buy the wafer thingy? I haven't found them anywhere.

Correction - Anywhere but Ebay. I just don't trust Ebay.

Why don’t you trust Ebay with PayPal? You are limiting you ability to buy online. EBay has 100% satisfaction and return policy, plus you can rate the seller. Lot has free shipping. Something you don’t get on Amazon unless you have prime or buy certain dollar mount.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,223 Posts

The Hunter sensor drys out so fast in the Florida sun and heat it is less than useful. Not unusual to call for watering two days after a heavy rain

The Orbit B-Hyve controller looks at data from local weather stations and future forecasts to only water when needed. Also wifi and can be controlled manually remotely. Less than $100.

Orbit b•hyve
Old 08-14-2020, 09:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Why don’t you trust Ebay with PayPal? You are limiting you ability to buy online. EBay has 100% satisfaction and return policy, plus you can rate the seller. Lot has free shipping. Something you don’t get on Amazon unless you have prime or buy certain dollar mount.
That policy has not translated into reality for me for un-received shipments from a vendor with a long history of fraud. Buyer beware...
Old 08-15-2020, 05:02 AM

eBay is the way to go , have bought a quite a few , around 8$
Old 08-15-2020, 05:05 AM

Here is the link to one seller

8 Hunter Irrigation Mini Clik Rain Sensor Hygroscopic discs - w/ Brass Washer | eBay
Old 08-15-2020, 05:09 AM

I have over 400 transactions on EBay and have never had a problem of any sort.
There are bargains to be had there, no doubt. NEVER buy batteries or printer ink anywhere else---the prices are SO GOOD compared to retail.
Old 08-15-2020, 05:12 AM

The outside sensor on a wireless system has a battery that needs to be replaced periodically.
Old 08-15-2020, 05:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post

Your answer is to buy a WIFI irrigation controller. A Hunter 6 zone will cost about $170 on Amazon, the 12 zone are another $75 or so. This might less than a service call and will fix the problem once and for all.

The Hunter irrigation controllers use local weather stations to monitor rain fall.

Below is a picture of my TV irrigator. Every place you see the slash through it means it didn't irrigate due to rainfall. I kick it on every day on two tiny zones for 2 minutes to juice some flowers. Once a week I do a big water for everything else.

You can also control it from anywhere in the world and it will alert you if it thinks one of your valves is failing.

It takes about 15 minutes to install. If you have a screw driver, you can do it yourself. I have one at my NJ home as well.

The Villages Florida
Closed Thread

Tags
system, irrigation, house, wafer, thing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.