Irrigation System Question

Closed Thread
Old 08-15-2020, 07:58 AM
Default Amazon link

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Do you have a link to the washers on Amazon? I have not been able to find them on Amazon.
Amazon link $9.95 for the unit

Robot Check
Old 08-15-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
The Hunter sensor drys out so fast in the Florida sun and heat it is less than useful. Not unusual to call for watering two days after a heavy rain

The Orbit B-Hyve controller looks at data from local weather stations and future forecasts to only water when needed. Also wifi and can be controlled manually remotely. Less than $100.

Orbit b•hyve
I heard the same thing about the Florida weather pattern, where the rain sensor is not effective.

I own two 12 zone B-hyve sprinkler controllers for my two 12 zone sprinkler system that covers my property. I’ve tried many different sprinkler controllers, and the Orit B-Hyve controllers are hands down, the best.

You can control the B-Hyve with a app on your iPhone. I think that they also have an Android app. It’s true that the B-Hyve detects the weather, and puts the controller into “rain delay” automatically.

My B-Hyve controllers went into “rain delay” automatically many times. It happened many times when the rain missed our area too. You can modify the rain chances percentage to tune the automated “rain delay”. I tried increasing the percentage, which improved the automatic “rain delay”,

Since you can remotely control and monitor the B-Hyve controller with you cellphone, it’s very easy to add a manual rain delay, or to enter a manual rain delay. Without the cellphone remote control, that would be a hassle.

The B-Hyve controllers are dirt cheap. I got mine two 12 zone models for a little under $100 each. The sprinkler wires are connected with good screw terminal connections, not the crappy spring wire connectors which some controllers have. The spring wire connectors sometimes result in flaky, intermittent wire connections.

The B-Hyve controller also has a smart option, which I haven’t tried using yet. I use the conventional method, which includes the weather data input.

I bought the two 12 zone B-Hyve controllers because one of my almost 20 year controllers failed. I replaced them both with the B-Hyve controllers. Over the years, I tried using other controllers, and were dissatisfied with them.

I would strongly recommend that even if your current controller that’s not remote controllable with your cellphone, and does have the weather data, that you replace it with a B-Hyve controller. If I knew how much better the Orbit B-Hyve controller is than my old controllers, I would have replaced both old controllers when both the old controllers were working.

It’s a dirt cheap investment compared to how the better sprinkler controller will improve your life. It’s very easy to swap out the old controller. Just remember to label the zone wires before your remove the old controller.

You can also program and operate the controller with the buttons on the controller, but I find it much easier to program and monitor the controller with my iPhone.

There are things in life that are “No Brainers”. Buying a SunPass was a “no brainer”. Cheap and easy to do, tolls are discounted, and no coin hassles. A B-Hyve controller was also a “no brainer”. It’s great too for snowbirds or when you travel. It’s easier to test your zones periodically, without having to walk back and forth to the controller between each zone. It will make blowing out my sprinkler system easier before the winter weather in Minnesota. After I buy a house in Florida, I will replace the sprinkler controller with a B-Hyve, and install a whole house electric generator.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:23 AM

Just had my rain sensor replaced and he told me they should be replaced every 5 years. Thats their lifespan. Had Massy do it, I think it about $150.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,619 Times in 5,198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedfromGA View Post
Amazon link $9.95 for the unit

Robot Check
Note that the link you provided is for the Hunter mini-clik device. But, many of the newer houses have a rain-clik device instead. Here is the link for the rain-clik.

Robot Check
Old 08-15-2020, 09:26 AM

If you use a sprinkler maintenance firm, they will replace it. I use D. P. Spin, Tel. 352-753-871, and they did mine.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:21 AM
Default Off on switch

Are u sure the sensor is turned on ?
My control box has a switch that can be turned off !!
Old 08-15-2020, 10:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Try calling:

Central Pump & Supply
352-315-1075
2404 West Main St., Leesburg

They used to have them in stock. If you go there, I would take a photo of your sensor, because there are several different types. Very easy to install yourself.
Your exactly right it’s so easy to replace that a grade school kid could hook it up. Hardware stores like Ace & Lowe’s have these sensors too.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,619 Times in 5,198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzepecki View Post
You can purchase the wafer thing (which lasts 2 years, max) at Ace Hardware in Southern Trace shopping center. This particular Ace carries a lot of the Villages’ Homes maintenance parts, along with invaluable information and advice.
I went there today. They only sell the older "Mini-Clik" sensor devices. They don't sell the newer Hunter "Rain-Clik" sensors. I don't think they will work on the Hunter systems installed within the past 5 years or so. See Post No. 34.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:30 AM

It could be many reasons. Here's two things you can try. 1. This will take 3 people, one on a ladder and one at the irrigation box. There is a "button" on top of the sensor, press it down. At that time the irrigation screen will display off, or sensor off. If you don't see this, your connect from the sensor to panel may be broken. You have to fix that. If you do see the message, pop the cover off the felt, holder. Clean the edges of each filter, to remove dirt/spider webs. Check after next rain fall. If you need new pads (mine had 8) Order on Ebay, South East Irrigation Supply. Good luck.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:32 AM
Default Rain Detector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
My house is five years old and the irrigation system is supposed to have a feature where it doesn't turn on if there has been rain. The problem is that we can get a downpour and the system comes on shortly afterward.

I know that there is a sensor on the side of the house and it's has a little wafer thing that swells up when it rains and prevents the system from turning on.

Does anyone know how to fix this or do I have to call someone to service it?
These sensors fail after a few years. You can get a replacement at CentralPro,
2404 W. Main Street
Leesburg, FL 34748-3315

Installation is very simple.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:36 AM

When it rains, go to your garage and turn the system off.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:42 PM
Default rain sensor circuit

On old Hunter systems with simple sensor, the sensor is a simple switch opened by wetting cork, wired in series with the main output to solenoid valves on the controller terminals, opening that circuit. Hunter manuals are online. The sensor has an adjustment for how much the cork must expand to open the switch, a simple distance positioning. As mentioned not a very smart system with the Florida sun. It will cut off sprinklers while it is raining, but not clear before and after. Newer systems with internet etc. have fancy connections to weather information -- of more interest when house is not occupied.
Old 08-15-2020, 03:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1025 View Post
Just had my rain sensor replaced and he told me they should be replaced every 5 years. Thats their lifespan. Had Massy do it, I think it about $150.

good to know...thanks for sharing
Old 08-15-2020, 04:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I would revert to turning the system off in the rainy season. When the grass looks like it needs water turn it back on.
I put a sign on top of my controller box that says ON or OFF to remind me.
The sensor never seemed to work properly.
Old 08-15-2020, 04:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I heard the same thing about the Florida weather pattern, where the rain sensor is not effective.

I own two 12 zone B-hyve sprinkler controllers for my two 12 zone sprinkler system that covers my property. I’ve tried many different sprinkler controllers, and the Orit B-Hyve controllers are hands down, the best.

You can control the B-Hyve with a app on your iPhone. I think that they also have an Android app. It’s true that the B-Hyve detects the weather, and puts the controller into “rain delay” automatically.

My B-Hyve controllers went into “rain delay” automatically many times. It happened many times when the rain missed our area too. You can modify the rain chances percentage to tune the automated “rain delay”. I tried increasing the percentage, which improved the automatic “rain delay”,

Since you can remotely control and monitor the B-Hyve controller with you cellphone, it’s very easy to add a manual rain delay, or to enter a manual rain delay. Without the cellphone remote control, that would be a hassle.

The B-Hyve controllers are dirt cheap. I got mine two 12 zone models for a little under $100 each. The sprinkler wires are connected with good screw terminal connections, not the crappy spring wire connectors which some controllers have. The spring wire connectors sometimes result in flaky, intermittent wire connections.

The B-Hyve controller also has a smart option, which I haven’t tried using yet. I use the conventional method, which includes the weather data input.

I bought the two 12 zone B-Hyve controllers because one of my almost 20 year controllers failed. I replaced them both with the B-Hyve controllers. Over the years, I tried using other controllers, and were dissatisfied with them.

I would strongly recommend that even if your current controller that’s not remote controllable with your cellphone, and does have the weather data, that you replace it with a B-Hyve controller. If I knew how much better the Orbit B-Hyve controller is than my old controllers, I would have replaced both old controllers when both the old controllers were working.

It’s a dirt cheap investment compared to how the better sprinkler controller will improve your life. It’s very easy to swap out the old controller. Just remember to label the zone wires before your remove the old controller.

You can also program and operate the controller with the buttons on the controller, but I find it much easier to program and monitor the controller with my iPhone.

There are things in life that are “No Brainers”. Buying a SunPass was a “no brainer”. Cheap and easy to do, tolls are discounted, and no coin hassles. A B-Hyve controller was also a “no brainer”. It’s great too for snowbirds or when you travel. It’s easier to test your zones periodically, without having to walk back and forth to the controller between each zone. It will make blowing out my sprinkler system easier before the winter weather in Minnesota. After I buy a house in Florida, I will replace the sprinkler controller with a B-Hyve, and install a whole house electric generator.
I only have 4 zones and my B-Hyve was less than $60 at Lowes. Easy install and I can control it with my Android phone or desktop. I also use the conventional method and let the controller read the local weather forecast to decide when to put the system on rain delay. It will pay for itself in water savings. Highly recommend.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Closed Thread

Tags
system, irrigation, house, wafer, thing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.