Issue with Robellini Palms

Old 08-20-2010, 03:28 PM
Default Issue with Robellini Palms

Just wondering if anyone else is having an issue with their Robellini palms turning brown/yellow in the center where the new growth is? One of mine is doing this and the newest fronds are kind of wilting and not looking too great. The rest of the palm looks fine. Any ideas why this is happening or if there is a remedy for it? Thanks!

Old 08-20-2010, 07:48 PM
Default Manganese deficiency?

I found this information about the robellini - I am NOT an expert but thought this sounded like it might be your problem...

the robellini palm usually is disease resistant, you may have another problem Manganese deficiency, in particular, causes new fronds to appear yellow, withered or scorched; the name for this is "frizzletop". It is a common problem for palms in south Florida and can be controlled by using manganese sulfate. It frequently occurs in palms growing in soils that are extremely alkaline, so you may also need to adjust the pH of your soil.

Here is the link: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Plant-Dis...llini-Palm.htm

Old 08-20-2010, 08:45 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Feed the Palms

The guy who did our lansdcaping said to feed the palm 1 tbsp of epsom salts to one gallon of water 2-3 times per year. Might help.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

It is better to buy some palm fertilizer....it has the right mixture for palms.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:03 AM
Default Thanks for input

Thanks everybody for your input. I DO use a palm fertilizer on all my palms on a quarterly basis. Guess I should have been more specific. This particular Robellini has 5 trunks and only the central growth area on ONE of the trunks is doing this. The others appear to be normal/healthy. Go figure.

Cher....I've seen pix of palms w/"frizzletop" online, but that's not what mine looks like. I DO appreciate your research on my behalf though. Thanks!

Guess I'll just keep an eye on it. Already checked for critters and haven't found any so far.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:50 PM
Sage

Why not try the Extension office in the County Annex at 466 & Morse. They were very helpful to me when I had a question about my queen palm.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:51 PM
Julie

Here's a link from the University of Florida website regarding how to care for your robellini palm http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/st441

The UF publication lists the robellini's hardiness zone as 10A-11. The Villages is hardiness zone 9A. You may be able to keep it alive in TV, but it will probably take a little extra TLC.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:42 AM
Default Thanks for input

Thanks Mike for the reminder about our ag extension office at Morse and 466! I think the guy I want to talk to is Jim.

Julie, thank you for the link to the UF website regarding Robellini care. I have 2 Robe's in my yard...both multi-trunk. Only the one trunk on one palm is having this issue...it's a real head scratcher for me!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.