Knockout Roses?

Closed Thread
Old 03-06-2008, 03:15 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts
Default Re: Knockout Roses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETTY1212
My landscaper planted knockout roses for me about 8 month ago they are blooming right now and have grown so much.My landscaper informed me of a easy way to maintain and trim them she said regular hedge trimmers electric or gas work great to trim them and keep them in a nice shape. They haven't quit blooming since she planted them in June
Yep, absolutely right. And because it involves the use of power tools, Mr. Boomer likes to help with that part.

For the here and there deadheading with hand shears, it is my beloved Felco 2's. But you only have to do that part if you want to.

Two things to remember: Don't plant them too close together because they grow so fast. And don't forget that they have thorns. I wear leather gloves when I mess with them because they will mess with you back.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Sage

It is great to know about these beautiful bushes that almost take care of themselves!

Being a snowbird we are only here 3 months of the year. We are seriously considering planting them along the back of our house which gets full sun 3/4 of the day.

Is this going to be a little too long for them to survive on their own?

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:24 PM
Sage

Nonie, do you have a built-in irrigation system that comes on automatically? If so, that should be sufficient. Also, I think it rains a lot in the summer (looking at weather stats).
Apparently k.o. roses can take a lot of abuse and keep smiling.

I find the problem is not in getting stuff to grow, but in keeping it under control during our "snowbird" absence.

Sign me
Another newbie gardener

P.S. Just had 11 tons of rock delivered, gotta go watch the action!
Old 03-06-2008, 03:26 PM

I told the landscaper I wanted pretty much maintenance free. Occasional trimming is all i want to do. My sprinklers run once a week and my knockout roses are doing great the only thing I would worry about is how big they would get while your gone. I would maybe check with your Lawn guy or Landscaper and see if they do shrubs maintenance
Old 03-06-2008, 03:27 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonie
It is great to know about these beautiful bushes that almost take care of themselves!

Being a snowbird we are only here 3 months of the year. We are seriously considering planting them along the back of our house which gets full sun 3/4 of the day.

Is this going to be a little too long for them to survive on their own?
Nonie,

I am not sure about there in Florida. If they are not too close together, that should help with air circ and they won't crowd the heck out of each other. It does not take them long to create an informal hedge.

We had what was pretty close to a drought last summer and I think I only watered twice, decent slow soaks, early in the morning or late in the evening, at the roots, staying away from the leaves. It was a terrible summer for gardening. With Florida afternoon showers so often, they should find great happiness.

But honestly, I don't really know. I hope someone who has them there answers.

Boomer
Old 04-21-2008, 04:38 AM
Gold member

Hi,

This is in response to queries I received about Sandra who did a presentation in the Garden Club.

There are no annual contracts for weeding - cost is $10 per month

Pest control is $20 per month

Pruning, trimming and clean up is billed at $40 per hour, but you are charged in 15 minute increments.

Fertilizer application is based on actual quantities used.

They all sell trees and plants. I found the cost of there plants lower than in some of the nurseries I visited while in TV.

Fernview Farm - Sandra and James Harrison
352 245 7905 email fernviewnursery@aol.com

Like I said, I was extremely impressed with her, They will be doing our lawn care while we are away.

I think she is lecturing at the Garden Club in Hacienda this November.

Hope this helps.

HB
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.