Landscape Costs

Closed Thread
Old 07-09-2021, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwntrstn View Post
I got a quote for a very small area in my front yard. Some items listed: removing pine straw - $250. Place matting down - $150. I just don’t get it, really? I can buy a roll of garden matting at Lowe’s for $12.99. I only need 3 tons of gravel. Is there a place where a resident can purchase a load of rocks? I’m not doing this for a showcase, I just want some very basic, minimal work done. Total quote $2550.
I’m new to TV, this seems outrageous to me. What am I missing?
Can I do some or all of this myself?
If this is really a small area you will not need more than a yard or 2 of stone. The stone we purchased from Dirt cheap was $110. per yard and $50 or $60 to deliver. Rake up your pine straw, bag it and put out the trash. Put down the material from Lowes (get heavy duty roll) and do the rocks yourself. It won't cost you > $300
Old 07-09-2021, 04:24 PM

Seems high. Had ours done with three raised beds, two robelini palms and one Queen along with flowers Seminole rocks and walls for $3500
Old 07-09-2021, 06:03 PM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi
Default unless you do it yourself or a friend does the work naturally it going to cost a lot.

Quote:
I got a quote for a very small area in my front yard. Some items listed: removing pine straw - $250. Place matting down - $150. I just don’t get it, really? I can buy a roll of garden matting at Lowe’s for $12.99. I only need 3 tons of gravel. Is there a place where a resident can purchase a load of rocks? I’m not doing this for a showcase, I just want some very basic, minimal work done. Total quote $2550.
I’m new to TV, this seems outrageous to me. What am I missing?
Can I do some or all of this myself?
What your missing the contractors have to pay compensation, Contractor liability, truck insurance, repair, office workers, laborers telephone service, accountants, rent, of course it's going to cost a lot that why contractors stay away from homeowner as much as they can. I can believe that you cannot understand why they charge what they need to make a decent profit to male a living.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelfmi View Post
What your missing the contractors have to pay compensation, Contractor liability, truck insurance, repair, office workers, laborers telephone service, accountants, rent, of course it's going to cost a lot that why contractors stay away from homeowner as much as they can. I can believe that you cannot understand why they charge what they need to make a decent profit to male a living.
I completely agree. When one does their own gardening they don’t have these costs. So it is not fair to compare it to how much a landscaper needs to charge to make it worth their while to do our garden. I just evaluate how much the work is worth for me to pay for, and if they charge more than I want to pay then I find an alternate solution.

Last edited by Velvet; 07-09-2021 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-12-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUSSY LADY View Post
I have had a young lady weeding for me for a couple of years now, originally it was $40.00 to weed, then she went to $40.00/hr. okay, I went along with that, now she texted me and went up to $50.00/hr, just for weeding! I must have stupid printed on my forehead, who would pay that. To me she is slowly putting herself out of business, what do you all think, would you all pay that much?
Yep, I pay $110 for an hour for two guys whenever I can’t do it myself (us. because of a medical issue, travel, elderly mom in hospital, etc.). It’s dirty, boring work that hurts my back and knees, and in this heat it’s just awful to be out crawling around plants pulling weeds. And the weeders usually have to drive twenty or thirty minutes each way from someplace north or south to get here. Yep, it’s expensive, but you are not likely to find anyone willing to do it cheaply, especially given the heat and the rain.
Old 07-13-2021, 05:10 AM

costly apparently but really varies. however seems like people complain about being scammed by rather bad landscape jobs.
Old 07-13-2021, 05:17 AM
Veteran member
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldeana View Post
It's a BIG mistake to put rocks down in landscaping. The desert look belongs in Arizona, not FL. Rocks will increase your ambient temperatures (do we need that?) and I guarantee you, it will not keep weeds out. Weeding is much more difficult around rocks (if you want to remove weed roots). If anything, use pine bark instead. It's a good idea to put an under layer of weed cloth, but you really don't need to remove the pine straw. It will disintegrate eventually. Just put the weed cloth over it, then the pine bark. Lots cheaper solution and environmentally sound. And consult with a master gardener about landscaping with FL friendly plants. You can do a Zoom consultation. Sumter County Master Gardeners - The Villages
I agree that rock mulches are more for the Southwest USA and Mexico where cacti and succulents thrive in the hot, alkaline rocks. If you choose to use a natural mulch then large pine bark nuggets can work well. The large size nuggets shade the surface so few weeds can germinate. Don’t install a weed mat under the bark as you will not benefit the plants and soil organisms that thrive when the mulch breaks down and improves the soil. You also don’t want a weed mat or rocks as they interfere with any gardening or planting of seasonal flowers. I have been using bark nuggets for over seven years and I have few weeds and the plants and trees are thriving. The bark mulch has a low ph and lowers our high ph soil that exists around many parts of the Villages. The ph around here can come in at 8 which is too high for most plants and trees we plant in our yards. Rocks are usually high ph and add to the alkalinity of our soils. Rocks get too hot and can stress many plants in our hot summers. I know Villagers come in high in the conformity scale but why copy a landscape that looks more like New Mexico than Florida? Yes, you have to add more bark nuggets over time but you are continually improving your soil and your plants will thrive. Rocks on top of landscape fabric seals your poor native soil in and no improvement in the soil occurs with decomposition of organic materials. No worms and few soil organisms produce a poor growing medium for plants. Sure new landscape looks good the first few years when rocks and fabric are spread around but in time the plants decline and stop thriving. Then the weeds sprout in the rocks and out comes the Roundup. We live in Florida. Look around outside the Villages, most divisions use bark mulch. It’s dark, natural color gives a classic look to any landscape.
Old 07-13-2021, 06:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Appreciate the advice.

I’ve got a 68 year old husband who has Alzheimer’s. He’s as strong as an ox and we need something to do. He can help remove pine straw. He can unload bags of Home Depot stones. Someone please tell me it’s not a bad idea to do some of this stuff ourselves!

It’s not like I’m cheap (well, a little) or we can’t afford it. We’re putting a pool in the backyard…that’s where I want to splurge. That will be our (his) oasis. The front…I’m not here to impress anyone. I just want something basic and I don’t see handing over $2550 (while I sit on my rear and watch) when I can do it myself for less than half of that.

Does anyone else feel me?
😊
Get at least three quotes. You can do ANYTHING yourselves...with permission from the Architectural Review Committee. Talk to your neighbors. People are overcharged a lot if they don't do their homework. But not just here....everywhere.

Tags
i’m, place, matting, basic, landscape

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.