Landscape Costs

Closed Thread
Old 07-09-2021, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwntrstn View Post
I got a quote for a very small area in my front yard. Some items listed: removing pine straw - $250. Place matting down - $150. I just don’t get it, really? I can buy a roll of garden matting at Lowe’s for $12.99. I only need 3 tons of gravel. Is there a place where a resident can purchase a load of rocks? I’m not doing this for a showcase, I just want some very basic, minimal work done. Total quote $2550.
I’m new to TV, this seems outrageous to me. What am I missing?
Can I do some or all of this myself?
Welcome to the Villages. Cost for services is very high. Similar landscaping we had done in other parts of the country were less than what we ended up paying here.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:26 AM

Call Son Life Lawn & Landscaping. They are very fair priced. You can find them on Facebook.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:28 AM
Veteran member

I think you should get in touch with the other guy and trade
Old 07-09-2021, 06:42 AM
Veteran member
Default Landscape

Quote:
I got a quote for a very small area in my front yard. Some items listed: removing pine straw - $250. Place matting down - $150. I just don’t get it, really? I can buy a roll of garden matting at Lowe’s for $12.99. I only need 3 tons of gravel. Is there a place where a resident can purchase a load of rocks? I’m not doing this for a showcase, I just want some very basic, minimal work done. Total quote $2550.
You can buy the metal edging and fabric from lowes or home depot. Easy to install if you have a few basic tools. If you are removing any sod, digging it up and disposing of it is the hard part. I had the sod removed and edging and stone installed on 3 sides of a 1500 Sq ft with golf cart garage home for 1550.00. There are reasonably priced contractors out there.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:43 AM

Hello,
You will need ARC approval through The Villages before work is approved.
Labor costs are high which justified your quote. It's back breaking work.
Good luck.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:46 AM

Quote:
You are right ! The impression here is everyone is rich and naive. You need Preen barrier cloth stakes and YES you can do it yourself. Wait until November. They charge these prices, drag the job out and they pay the illegals cheap wages!

It’s this way about everything.The more you can learn on your own the better it will be. I’ve been gouged so much I’ve given up. I’m selling my house and moving to maint free!
Old 07-09-2021, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Appreciate the advice.

I’ve got a 68 year old husband who has Alzheimer’s. He’s as strong as an ox and we need something to do. He can help remove pine straw. He can unload bags of Home Depot stones. Someone please tell me it’s not a bad idea to do some of this stuff ourselves!

It’s not like I’m cheap (well, a little) or we can’t afford it. We’re putting a pool in the backyard…that’s where I want to splurge. That will be our (his) oasis. The front…I’m not here to impress anyone. I just want something basic and I don’t see handing over $2550 (while I sit on my rear and watch) when I can do it myself for less than half of that.

Does anyone else feel me?
😊
You are 100.% right ! Besides you’re going to get nickel and dimed on the pool as you probably are having T&D do it!
Old 07-09-2021, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Labor rates. BTW, why replace natural mulch with gravel? You’re not “eliminating” weeds. They will most likely increase in number and density on top of the “weed mat.” Pine straw helps prevent many weeds from germinating.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:59 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,139 Times in 882 Posts

I've read on TOTV about many people who regretted doing stone in their yard. They still get weeds and they're much harder to get rid of from the stones. I'd stick with pine mulch which I hear is the best. But if you end up wanting to do it still, get hubby and yourself to put in the elbow grease for sure!
Old 07-09-2021, 07:00 AM
Default Landscaping

It's a BIG mistake to put rocks down in landscaping. The desert look belongs in Arizona, not FL. Rocks will increase your ambient temperatures (do we need that?) and I guarantee you, it will not keep weeds out. Weeding is much more difficult around rocks (if you want to remove weed roots). If anything, use pine bark instead. It's a good idea to put an under layer of weed cloth, but you really don't need to remove the pine straw. It will disintegrate eventually. Just put the weed cloth over it, then the pine bark. Lots cheaper solution and environmentally sound. And consult with a master gardener about landscaping with FL friendly plants. You can do a Zoom consultation. Sumter County Master Gardeners - The Villages
Old 07-09-2021, 07:14 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts

We did it ourselves. Six tons of rock hauled ourselves from Russo's over a few months. At first we used five gallon buckets to haul the rock, later a wheelbarrow.

While it wasn't pleasant it is a point of pride. Thousands saved with no downside, hard work is good for the soul. But, remember in The Villages, virtually no one wants to work. So few will understand why you chose the DIY option.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:19 AM

The matting is a waste of time......weeds will eventually grow on top of it anyway......
Old 07-09-2021, 07:19 AM
Default Welcome to The Villages

Quote:
Just about all the subs here are high on price. They think you are rich and that you can’t do it. First off if you think you need that much rock don’t buy it in bags from Home Depot. That is way to expensive. That is why the landscaper has a trailer. Buy it from a rock yard by the cubic yard. I live here in the Villages and do little jobs here and there. Licensed and insured. If you want to do most of it I can haul away the straw and bring the gravel. I can do as much as you want me to and I do not price gouge.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:24 AM
Default Landscape work

We replaced all of our pine straw with river rock and weed block plus curbing for far less give Morgans whole 9 yards for a quote
352-203-8410
Old 07-09-2021, 07:28 AM

Have you ever shoveled rock into the wheelbarrow and then rolled it around to where you need the rock...like hundreds of times? It is back breaking work. That rock is heavy. Good luck and have the Motrin ready because you will need it.
Closed Thread

Tags
i’m, place, matting, basic, landscape

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.