Landscape Restrictions

Closed Thread
Old 04-07-2019, 11:50 AM
Default Landscape Restrictions

We just bought a new home in the Villages! Yay! I am so excited to play in the yard and plant some of my favorite flowers. I have read my deed restrictions and want to abide by the rules, however, I am a little confused as to scrubs. Are they considered the same as trees? My restrictions say I cannot cut down a tree with a trunk more then 4 inches in diameter. Is it the same for scrubs? I am not planning any changes to the hard landscape. I am worried that my question is silly and don't want to bother what seems like a very busy ARC. Is it okay to thin out scrubs and change flowers without going through the review process? Thank you so much for your input!
Old 04-07-2019, 11:56 AM

There are no silly questions, if you don’t know ask. The straight answer is you can do whatever you want with shrubs and flowers.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Just remember if you put shrubbery on the edge of your property, your deed restriction *probably* mentions somewhere that the shrubbery must be maintained at UNDER 4 feet in height.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Just remember if you put shrubbery on the edge of your property, your deed restriction *probably* mentions somewhere that the shrubbery must be maintained at UNDER 4 feet in height.
And two foot off the property line or driveway if I interpreted it clearly? It also says hedge is row of shrubs planted in line? So it I have two or more bushes growing together I guess that’s hedge?
Old 04-07-2019, 03:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

OP, call community standards with your questions, 352-751-3912, they will be glad to talk to you, also, if you need permission for a project, there is NO COST to fill out the form to get approval for your project. I have done this several times, very painless process, and all my projects have been approved.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjohns View Post
We just bought a new home in the Villages! Yay! I am so excited to play in the yard and plant some of my favorite flowers. I have read my deed restrictions and want to abide by the rules, however, I am a little confused as to scrubs. Are they considered the same as trees? My restrictions say I cannot cut down a tree with a trunk more then 4 inches in diameter. Is it the same for scrubs? I am not planning any changes to the hard landscape. I am worried that my question is silly and don't want to bother what seems like a very busy ARC. Is it okay to thin out scrubs and change flowers without going through the review process? Thank you so much for your input!
Not silly when you try to figure out restrictions in villages with each district have some differences, let alone trying to fine it on district.gov?

Shrubs are not trees. I doubt any shrub trunk will ever get 4” in diameter. If it does it will take very long time. 4” rule is for canopy trees like oaks, maples, ext... palms are not considered canopy trees so the 4” rule don’t apply to them for approval for removal.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Not silly when you try to figure out restrictions in villages with each district have some differences, let alone trying to fine it on district.gov?

Shrubs are not trees. I doubt any shrub trunk will ever get 4” in diameter. If it does it will take very long time. 4” rule is for canopy trees like oaks, maples, ext... palms are not considered canopy trees so the 4” rule don’t apply to them for approval for removal.
On Community Standards page.
Village Community Development Districts
Old 04-08-2019, 02:34 PM

Thank you so much everyone! I have the specific restrictions for my District and lot number. The restrictions were written in 2004 and are difficult to read due to print quality. I just want to make sure I don't inadvertently break the rules and frustrate myself.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:09 AM
Veteran member

Welcome!

In addition to boundary lines and shrubbery privacy/height restrictions, I'm sure you wouldn't make access difficult by planting around any meters, electrical or cable boxes.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

and if you get the form approved, keep it in your records so they can't come back at you.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
Welcome!

In addition to boundary lines and shrubbery privacy/height restrictions, I'm sure you wouldn't make access difficult by planting around any meters, electrical or cable boxes.
Without question, the most common request after "Lot's of color" and "Low Maintenance", is to block the view of the utility boxes.

Most of the so called self taught designers will do whatever your idea is, just to sell the job. This area takes a designer with experience and forethought to keep within the rules of the actual UTILITY COMPANIES, and keep with the design theme of your landscape as well.. Yes, they actually have rules that are NOT included in what the ARC is looking for. There are County, City, and even State regulations that possibly come into play here, and are not deleted because the ARC is ok with it.
Also, the designer should not be creating a more difficult maintenance situation in this area for you, as often happens. Because as we all know, LOW MAINTENACE, was what you asked for, even BEFORE you asked to stop looking at those ugly utility boxes.

The most common mistake that seems to be requested, is that we move some ugly bushes we are taking out from the front of the house, to this location. Why put a shrub here you don't enjoy looking at , to hide boxes you don't like looking at? It would probably cost about the same to plant something nice between you and your eyesore.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

I will also add if you are thinking about doing any planting ( read as DIGGING ) around any of the electrical boxes, make the 811 call about the buried wires, fiber optic cables, and cable TV cables, typically, if you cut or damage you pay, if you survive......
Old 04-12-2019, 10:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

Last edited by Velvet; 04-13-2019 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

What is wrong with rules? Have you noticed any of the beautiful gardens some Villagers have?
Old 04-12-2019, 08:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

The place is gorgeous! I love it, but to make everyone happy is not so easy. I would love to have roses, or maybe bird of paradise, myself.
Closed Thread

Tags
scrubs, restrictions, landscape, flowers, hard

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.