Landscape ripoff?

Closed Thread
Old 01-17-2012, 08:38 AM
Default Landscape ripoff?

I use a landscaper that I'm fairly happy with and pay $45 a month. Now that everything is pretty much dormant in the winter they rarely show up. This makes since because there is little to do. But I continue to pay the $45 a month. Am I getting ripped off or is that just the way things are?
Old 01-17-2012, 08:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmac321 View Post
I use a landscaper that I'm fairly happy with and pay $45 a month. Now that everything is pretty much dormant in the winter they rarely show up. This makes since because there is little to do. But I continue to pay the $45 a month. Am I getting ripped off or is that just the way things are?
What was the agreement that you made with them?
Old 01-17-2012, 08:46 AM
Sage

It's how it is...and in most instances, it all evens out. In the growing months, the landscaper is here a least once a week. In the slow growing months, the lawn is cut generally every other week and edging is done every other week (opposite weeks for us).

Considering there are more growing weeks than non growing weeks here in our part of Florida, as I said, it sort of evens out. You could try to find someone who charges by the cut...there are still some landscapers that do that.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

It depends upon the contract you signed with the landscaper. We have had 2 different landscapers and the contract was for a year, with a monthly price. They indicated they would not mow/trim every week in the dormant months, which they do not. I do, however, pay every month.

I talked to several landscapers and this seemed to be the norm. My neighbors have the same arrangement with their landscapers.

The landscaper I have now, costs me a small fortune, but they "own" everything in my lawn...grass mowing, trimming/edging, landscape trimming, plantings, weed pulling etc... AND, they mow by hand, which was a requirement for me. On the weeks they are here, 3 guys spend about 45 minutes grooming my lawn and landscaping.

I don't think you're getting ripped off...

Cheers....
Old 01-18-2012, 09:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

well yes, that's just how it is, and you are getting ripped off.

alternative is do it yourself
Old 01-18-2012, 10:03 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

I too believe that this is the way it is in most cases. I'd bet if they didn't charge that way the monthly fee would be higher. I was also paying more than you each month until I switch to an annual fee winding up with two free months. So my opinion is that you have a good fee if they're doing the job you want and your NOT getting ripped off!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 01-18-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Interesting that no one seems to complain that they show up weekly or more often in the spring and summer when the grass and shrubs grow so fast. Would it be more acceptable if they charge $90/mo in the growing season and nothing in the winter months? Many of them survive in the winter by doing large tree and shrub trimming jobs that they don't have time for in the summer when they have all they can do to keep up with the mowing.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark View Post
Interesting that no one seems to complain that they show up weekly or more often in the spring and summer when the grass and shrubs grow so fast. Would it be more acceptable if they charge $90/mo in the growing season and nothing in the winter months? Many of them survive in the winter by doing large tree and shrub trimming jobs that they don't have time for in the summer when they have all they can do to keep up with the mowing.
Your getting a freaking deal,i have a corner lot in Lexington,i'm paying $40 a mowing.In TV, for my corner lot, i pay $55 a month,they mow 4 times a month in the summer and fall ,and none in the winter,that's a freaking deal!!!!By the way, if your not using a lawn care service year around,your a fool.It's soooooooooooooo easy to tell the people that don't use a lawn service,the lawns are pathetic.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:48 AM

Last edited by Kitria; 01-21-2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: reposted with the other thread attached
Old 01-21-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Landscapers take the average times a year they need to cut the lawn, trim the bushes, etc. and divide that by 12. It gives them a steady income year round. I prefer it this way for I wouldn't want to pay double in the summer, then half in the winter. It is easier to budget my money this way.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:23 AM
Gold member
Talking

First, lets make a difference between a "landscaper" and a "lawncutter"!! Landscaper does more then just cut grass, like pulling weeds, plant flowers etc, Feed lawn, spray for insects, so on, and so on. A Lawncutter cuts the lawn and sometimes edges, and blow debrees into your flower patch for weeds to grow> But really, most lawncutters, don't do much in Dec-Jan-Feb if nothing at all. This time of year is when they sharpen up machines etc, so they are ready for March. It would be nice if they came Jan, just to do a nice edging job, and forget about mowing. (because it doesn't need it) But I pay them even though they don't come in Jan. They make up for it in spring and summer when lawn grows fast.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:48 PM

No because your not saying how can they make any money with what they have to do in summer and a great rainey season.They would charge alot more if only wanted in summer. it equals out/
Old 02-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentucky blue View Post
Your getting a freaking deal,i have a corner lot in Lexington,i'm paying $40 a mowing.In TV, for my corner lot, i pay $55 a month,they mow 4 times a month in the summer and fall ,and none in the winter,that's a freaking deal!!!!By the way, if your not using a lawn care service year around,your a fool.It's soooooooooooooo easy to tell the people that don't use a lawn service,the lawns are pathetic.
Just reading the posts. I live in NY just outside of nyc..the landscaper charges me $35 a week, just to cut grass and edge and blow driveway off..thats 140 a month x 7 months=$ 980 for the season...Cant wait to move to TV so I can pay 40 a month, lol...
Old 02-04-2012, 07:03 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentucky blue View Post
In all due respect, I'm still mowing and trimming my own lawn and I'll match my lawn to anyone in our neighborhood. And I don't consider my self a fool its part of my workout regime along with a regular routine at MVP.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:56 PM
Platinum member

We pay $45 a month also....year round. They show up every week, check over the property and pull weeds in the bed, give a nice edge and blow cleanup the drive and walkway entrance. They also cleaned out our sprinkler donuts one week when nothing else needed to be done. Great guys, great company.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.