Landscape Work & Worry Not This Girl's Idea of Paradise

Closed Thread
Old 01-22-2015, 10:40 PM
Default Landscape Work & Worry Not This Girl's Idea of Paradise

and this is one of the main reasons we are considering leaving our home in MD. The difficulty in finding dependable and knowlegeable landscape caretakers has proven stressful to say the least, and I'm not getting good vibes that it will be any different here in TV. I hope I am wrong, because there is so much to love about this place. We were told by our sales rep that the landscaping care was not an issue for the Villagers as each neighborhood usually contracts with a company who takes care of everything. But reading the threads here, I am finding that people are concerned about pests, hiring quality workers, yada, yada. I don't won't to worry about that stuff, I want an expert and his crew to simply DO IT FOR ME! Please tell me, is this likely?
Old 01-23-2015, 03:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I'll make it short and sweet. Unless you are very, very lucky, you will not find a "landscape caretaker" with whom you will be happy unless you aren't very particular. It simply won't happen although initially, it might start off on the right foot!

I don't know where your sales agent got her/his information, but each "neighborhood does not contract with a company who takes care of everything. Most of the "landscape caretakers" are not knowledgeable and the crew they have working for them are even less knowledgeable. Most of these companies will try to sell you a package, most of which you do not need.

Your problem isn't just limited to Maryland; it's pretty much universal throughout the country. Someone buys a lawnmower and some other lawn and shrub tools, hires a few guys and calls himself a landscape company. Ask each owner what his credentials are. You will be very disappointed.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:50 PM
Gold member

It is true, however, that lawn care here is very cheap!

It is $50 a month for most homes. For that price you are not getting your private gardener. You are getting someone to mow the lawn and do basic trimming.

I, too, have heard that neighborhoods end up using one or two companies for basic care. It just makes sense. Your home and your neighbors homes are done on the same day and you don't have to listen to lawn care equip daily.

We are in a new neighborhood and still have several companies here through out the week. But I do see that changing as contracts end and some companies are weeded out.

You can landscape to the hilt with very high maintenance plants, or you can leave the builders simple landscaping in place. It is not the most beautiful, but it is easy care.

It is your retirement and your home and you can do as much or as little as you wish.

My hubby took over the lawn care a few months ago. I don't know how long that will last. But the $50/mo service we had here would have cost $200/mo in Utah.

You will find the cost of utilities and lawn care to be very reasonable here. We have been shocked!!

"Come on in, the water is fine!"
Old 01-24-2015, 04:24 PM
Sage

True - it's cheap - and you usually get what you pay for. One of the biggest complaints I've heard is just not showing up. The good news is it really isn't one of life's big problems.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleeh View Post
.... reading the threads here, I am finding that people are concerned about pests, hiring quality workers, yada, yada. I don't won't to worry about that stuff, I want an expert and his crew to simply DO IT FOR ME! Please tell me, is this likely?
If lawn care is a PITA and a serious consideration for you, have you considered a condo as opposed to a detached home in The Villages?
Lawn care and pest control in The Villages can be a challenge.
In the eight years we've lived in TV, we've had a plethora of lawn care "experts".
We used to employ different companies for termite control, lawn mowing, trimming shrubs, fertilizing palms, exterior pest control, weeding, interior pest control, etc.
When one of the contractors quits without warning, it's disappointing.
When you pay in advance (don't), and a contractor disappears with your money, it can be daunting.
When there is a problem with your lawn, like a fungus, if you employ a lot of different contractors, they will all blame each other.

Because we are Seasonal Residents, we can't do the work ourselves, and we don't want to deal with a lot of different contractors.
There are a few companies in The Villages that offer "one stop shopping" where one company does everythng for around $150 per month.
However no lawn service is perfect at all times.
It isn't feasible for most companies to run at full staff all year long, so most rely on temporary employees.
We've found a full-service company that makes us happy.
But it's taken us a long time; and things can change, companies can be sold, there are no guarantees.

However, it's all worth it to live in The Villages.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:17 PM

My experience with four lawn care services is that they all advertise to do a great job and provide excellent service. Then, after starting, reality sets in and the disappointment becomes intense. 2-3 works show up, rush through the job, and will be gone in 15-20 minutes. Management does not return phone calls. They operate strictly on volume and don't clean up their equipment, transferring disease and weeds into your yard. Some will use huge mowers that leave deep tracks in your yard. If you want a nice looking lawn, do it yourself, hire a trusted neighbor who already does his own, or find another town. Otherwise, adjust your expectations downward for here.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti105 View Post
It is true, however, that lawn care here is very cheap!

It is $50 a month for most homes. For that price you are not getting your private gardener. You are getting someone to mow the lawn and do basic trimming.

I, too, have heard that neighborhoods end up using one or two companies for basic care. It just makes sense. Your home and your neighbors homes are done on the same day and you don't have to listen to lawn care equip daily.

We are in a new neighborhood and still have several companies here through out the week. But I do see that changing as contracts end and some companies are weeded out.

You can landscape to the hilt with very high maintenance plants, or you can leave the builders simple landscaping in place. It is not the most beautiful, but it is easy care.

It is your retirement and your home and you can do as much or as little as you wish.

My hubby took over the lawn care a few months ago. I don't know how long that will last. But the $50/mo service we had here would have cost $200/mo in Utah.

You will find the cost of utilities and lawn care to be very reasonable here. We have been shocked!!

"Come on in, the water is fine!"
I agree.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I think you are correct, lawn care can be a problem if you do not want to do it your self.
I have a home where I hire a turn key lawn service. Very expensive but it solves the problem. You can also find multiple family homes and single family homes where the outside maintenance is done by the HOA. This can include painting the house, new roofs and all landscaping. So if landscaping is important just keep looking and you should find what you want. By the way the services in a community can very by neighbor hood so ask before you rule out the community. Also ask about the HOA fees. You will not find a full service home with a low HOA fee.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:49 PM
Veteran member

I am either very lucky or have no idea what bad landscaping looks like; we've had our house over a year and we use Dean's Lawn Service and could not be more pleased.

Wanda
Village of Collier

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. ~Mae West

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.