Landscaper's Mower's Tires is Killing My Grass

Closed Thread
Old 07-06-2018, 05:50 AM
Default Landscaper's Mower's Tires is Killing My Grass

The landscaper we choose uses one of those big zero turn mowers. Supposedly they were mowing our lawn since before we bought the house. We kept up the service when we bought: May 2018.

Just recently noticed there are tracks,, brown dead grass, around the tree in the front yard, one long track of dead grass in the back and other spots around the yard.

The tracks are the width of the mower's tires. Called the landscaper out to have a look. They agreed that it was caused by the mower, threw some fertilizer down on the brown patches and said would push mow it for the next 4 weeks.

Anyone else have this issue? Will the St. Augustine grass recover and how long will it take?

Thanks for the input. Probably will change mowing companies.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_sjc View Post
The landscaper we choose uses one of those big zero turn mowers. Supposedly they were mowing our lawn since before we bought the house. We kept up the service when we bought: May 2018.

Just recently noticed there are tracks,, brown dead grass, around the tree in the front yard, one long track of dead grass in the back and other spots around the yard.

The tracks are the width of the mower's tires. Called the landscaper out to have a look. They agreed that it was caused by the mower, threw some fertilizer down on the brown patches and said would push mow it for the next 4 weeks.

Anyone else have this issue? Will the St. Augustine grass recover and how long will it take?

Thanks for the input. Probably will change mowing companies.
My experience with this problem is that it's not the fault of the mower but rather the turf is too dry which results in "tracking" by mower wheels. Don't allow the grass to be mowed until it's sufficiently watered. Despite the rain we've had, the St Augustine grass dries out quickly in these hot temperatures. Water your lawn thoroughly and don't mow until the turf is healthy again.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:40 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 360 Posts

If a mowers wheels during normal maintenance is killing your grass you have a problem with your grass - not the mower.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 07-06-2018, 06:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

The big riding mowers will in fact kill the grass (healthy or otherwise)m anyplace where a tight turn is required. The inside wheel turns faster and literally rubs the life from the affected spot.

After several years of dealing with the same problem, we had all sharp curves eliminated from our landscaping. Problem solved....no more dead grass.

We also changed to lawn keepers who use walk behind mowers. Contributes significantly to a healthier lawn.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
The big riding mowers will in fact kill the grass (healthy or otherwise)m anyplace where a tight turn is required. The inside wheel turns faster and literally rubs the life from the affected spot.

After several years of dealing with the same problem, we had all sharp curves eliminated from our landscaping. Problem solved....no more dead grass.

We also changed to lawn keepers who use walk behind mowers. Contributes significantly to a healthier lawn.
Maybe it's a combination of the two. Sharp turns around the tree are dead and a long straightaway in the back yard left a long brown path.

Will be full time in TV starting September. Will probably mow myself.

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Find yourself a lawn mowing service that uses push mowers. Most of the lawns in the Villages are small enough that a riding mower is not necessary. I have lots of experience using a zero turn mower, they are great lawn mowers when the operator is skilled in how to mow in tight areas, but can rip a lawn apart in the hands of a poor operator.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:14 PM

I had the same problem now I have me service use scissors. It takes a little longer but really looks nice.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:49 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

I mow my own when I'm at home in Tennessee. I use a John Deere 54 inch deck zero turn mower, Yes, IF I mow really fast and make the turns 90 degrees or more with out slowing down I can damage the grass in the 12 inch spot where the mower turned. However, just a little care and that does not happen. If I saw dead grass in a strip where the tires just rolled over it.....I would look for a problem with my grass.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 07-06-2018, 06:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Mowing in heat of the day with dry grass IS My guess
Old 07-06-2018, 07:14 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Our lawn crew uses the same type mowers. Never had a problem with dead and brown areas because of the mowers.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

That's why the ole boy insists on walk mowers.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:58 AM
Send a message via ICQ to SoccerCoach

Change to a service that uses walk behind mowers and changes the pattern of cutting. You will be surprised what a little care and pride in service rendered will do for your lawn.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerCoach View Post
Change to a service that uses walk behind mowers and changes the pattern of cutting. You will be surprised what a little care and pride in service rendered will do for your lawn.
The company I'm using offers push mowing as a upcharge, $100/ month. Shouldn't have to pay more so they don't ruin the lawn.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:32 AM
Send a message via ICQ to SoccerCoach

The company I use is Jenn's Precision Lawns # is 352-254-0144. They will be happy to talk to you. Less $$ than you now pay.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

It's the hair pen turns!
Closed Thread

Tags
grass, mowers, dead, brown, bought

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.