Landscaping: Rock vs. Mulch vs. ??

Closed Thread
Old 07-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Default Re: Landscaping: Rock vs. Mulch vs. ??

Donna,
Not sure where to get rock or stone, but you can check with the cooperative extension office in Sumter Landing at the county office on 466 and Morse - Jim Davis. He may be able to answer your questions and is very helpful.
Travel
Old 07-11-2008, 09:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN
Donna, barefoot at last knows a lot about this topic, she suggested Zach Andrews at Have Rock will Roll 352-274-5635 for rock only and reasonable prices. Also says a place called Dirt Cheap on 441 is the source for all the rock around here.
Donna, just to confirm what JohnN said: I was told that Dirt Cheap on 441 North of the Villages (east side) supplies all the landscapers with rock, and then they sell it to you. So I went there to choose my rock. They have a vast selection and it helps to go there and view all the piles of rock when you are making a decision. They have some really neat choices.

Instead of using a landscaper to deliver and install the rock, I used Zack at Have Rock will Roll. He is a nice young man, did a great job, and it was less expensive than having a landscaper do it.

I much prefer rock instead of mulch. I think it looks nicer, discourages termites in the area close to the house, and lasts forever.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

We had pine mulch and took it out. The zoysia grass/weeds invaded the mulch and I was spending hours upon hours doing nothing but pulling it out. Enough was enough.

We hired a landscaper (don't know the name because my hubby took charge of that). We had a mesh barrier laid on top of the soil then about a 3-4 inch layer of rock. It has been the most wonderful blessing I could have wished for.

Although the grass and some weeds still creep in, it's limited to the area that abuts the concrete and to the "holes" where the plants are. It's a breeze to keep "weeded"/"degrassed" and I would recommend rock in a heartbeat.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:21 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Donna Send a message via Yahoo to Donna

Barefoot..Thanks so much..I will go there next week..I will also call Zack, is he in the phone book???

Maybe I should have the landscapers remove the pine straw, an do the plantings, then call in the curbing peeps, then Zack to add the rock...

Does that order sound right..LOL

I had curbing done here at my Villa, the man did a great job..I tend tho think the landscapers are charging more to curb the beds..

Any thoughts???

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,
The Marines Don't Have That Problem" "Semper Fi"

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" Albert Einstein
Old 07-12-2008, 01:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN
Donna, barefoot at last knows a lot about this topic, she suggested
Zach Andrews at Have Rock will Roll 352-274-5635 for rock only and reasonable prices. Also says a place called Dirt Cheap on 441 is the source for all the rock around here.
Donna, above is Zack's phone number. He is a nice young guy and will tell you the directions to Dirt Cheap so you can pick your rock.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:11 AM

In my earlier post I forgot to mention that the speaker at the garden club recommended using the mesh fabric rather than plastic sheeting under mulch or rocks to minimize weed growth and retain moisture as well.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:16 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Donna Send a message via Yahoo to Donna

Thanks again guys.. :bigthumbsup:

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,
The Marines Don't Have That Problem" "Semper Fi"

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" Albert Einstein
Old 07-12-2008, 07:39 AM
Gold member

Not thrilled with the mulch and wood chips that our home came with that we're living with for now (and even adding to), but I do remember the emphasis on considering that rock retains heat, especially in the summer, that is not good for the plants. For what it's worth....
Old 07-19-2008, 06:20 PM

In the original post wasn't a name mentioned for putting in the plants.? I think it was posted by Graciegirl and I intended to keep it but well...
....I can't find it.

Thanks
Old 07-20-2008, 01:12 AM
Gold member

Another organic way of keeping weeds prior to putting down mulch or rock is thick layers of newspaper. We have done this for years and where we put it down there are no weeks, where we put the mesh down there some weeds.

The lecture that Travel and I attended was extremely formative and well presented.

HB
Old 07-21-2008, 01:05 AM
Gold member

Hi, I accidentally deleted an email I received. The question was about the Lawn and Garden service that we have.

We do not have a contract with her for any of the services she does. When we are in TV we do, what she normally does.

There are no annual contracts for weeding - cost is $10 per month

Pest control is $20 per month

Pruning, trimming and clean up is billed at $40 per hour, but you are charged in 15 minute increments.

Fertilizer application is based on actual quantities used.

They all sell trees and plants. I found the cost of there plants lower than in some of the nurseries I visited while in TV.

Fernview Farm - Sandra and James Harrison
352 245 7905 email fernviewnursery@aol.com

i think she has been invited to speak this November at the Garden Clubs - one in Hacienda Center.

Hope this helps.

HB
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.