Lanscaper Problem

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Default Lanscaper Problem

We are rather new to TV and just wanted to get word out there that some Landscapers really are scams and very unprofessional. We dealt with Mansfield and did like the job they did however, no breakdown of prices are ever given therefore, you have no idea what you are really paying.
Also, one of our Sylvester Palms died well before the 90 day warrenty was up and they refused to replace it. We watered all the new landscaping as advised and were called "liars" over and over again when we tried getting it replaced. I have never encountered anyone so mean and nasty.
To make a long story short, we turned him into the Better Business Bureau, went to Seniors Against Crime who could do nothing for us as there were no other complaints which I find hard to believe. We ended up going with another Landscaper who replaced the tree giving us a much larger Sylvester at over $100 less than what Mansfield charged.
So beware if all the promises made in Landscaping Ads!!
Old 07-02-2010, 07:08 AM

Thanks for the post, just what I needed. We are in the middle of that process and find it to be a bit overwhelming. At least I now know why their ad says that once you enter into an agreement with them they do things at the speed of light. I have had 2-3 firms over for estimates with 2-3 more next week, so hopefully we'll make the right choice. I may exclude Mansfield based on your comments, even though their ads in paper and by unsolicited mail look very good. I have been duly impressed by one of the two firms that I have dealt with to this point, but caution seems to be the key ingredient. I am not rushing to judgement on the selection, so perhaps that and a "logic check" from fellow TOTVrs will be the key. Thanks again. Ray
Old 07-07-2010, 05:27 PM
Default Landscaping

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb8tpw View Post
Thanks for the post, just what I needed. We are in the middle of that process and find it to be a bit overwhelming. At least I now know why their ad says that once you enter into an agreement with them they do things at the speed of light. I have had 2-3 firms over for estimates with 2-3 more next week, so hopefully we'll make the right choice. I may exclude Mansfield based on your comments, even though their ads in paper and by unsolicited mail look very good. I have been duly impressed by one of the two firms that I have dealt with to this point, but caution seems to be the key ingredient. I am not rushing to judgement on the selection, so perhaps that and a "logic check" from fellow TOTVrs will be the key. Thanks again. Ray
Try Jeremy at Advanced Curbing, really helpful and responsive to our needs. 352-237-0231
Old 07-08-2010, 05:00 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

Caution is definitely the byword here. Based on a lot of observations, I would say the key to success is to keep them just a little behind in the payment department. In other words, don't pay a lot of money up front for a landscaping job. You would prefer to pay when it is done but bigger jobs may merit some "timed" payments - a little upon signing contract (make sure you have a well written contract), a little more at various points throughout the job. The key is keep about 25% for the final payment. This is made only after you are happy, all the "punch list" items have been taken care of, the trash hauled away, your year cleaned up, all contract conditions met, you have a copy of any C.O. or Arch. Review documents that may be required (this is rare in landscaping but it does happen), you get a Release of Lien from any subcontractors they used (again sort of rare but watch out for it), and then you make that final payment.

It's hard work but it's not rocket science. If you keep the landscaper just a little behind the power curve money-wise, they will work hard to make you happy and collect that last payment - which usually represents their profit. If they want a lot of money up front, find someone else! Too many take the up-front money and never return - that becomes their "profit". Also consider that if the company is so underfunded and credit-strapped that they can't afford to get your plants, mulch, pavers, etc., without an advance payment from you, how good will their 90-day or 1-year guarantee be?
Old 07-08-2010, 05:36 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I gave up on landscapers. So far 100% have failed to provide what they promise when you hire them. I now just buy what I need at the nursery and hire a day laborer to dig the holes and plant them. I then do my own fertilizer and care. Have even decided to do my own pruning and mulch as they don't cut it there either. Cost is significantly less, work is minimal and results are better. I have identified one I may try when I next need something I do not want to attempt, but so far the industry as a whole is below satisfactory.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:37 AM
Default Very satisfied

Hi just finished my new landscaping project at the villages--I also had a tough time finding reliable people and finally found Jeremy at Advanced Curb and landscaping--had very few issues and did what agreed--installed curbing-extensive new patio and landscaping--very big job--did not ask for money and paid as work progressed--Tyrone his landscape man is excellent--answers his phone also--just make sure have good contract-sign work change orders and have exact plants u want-I am retired Building Contractor so know my way around--call Jeremy at 352-427-5515 and say Herb sent me

Last edited by dcrherb; 07-22-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:23 PM

Has anyone else used Mansfield Landscaping, and what are your thoughts??
We were considering calling them for an estimate, and I don't want to rule out someone based on one comment that is negative.
Thanks!!
Old 08-05-2010, 06:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I gave up on landscapers. So far 100% have failed to provide what they promise when you hire them. I now just buy what I need at the nursery and hire a day laborer to dig the holes and plant them. I then do my own fertilizer and care. Have even decided to do my own pruning and mulch as they don't cut it there either. Cost is significantly less, work is minimal and results are better. I have identified one I may try when I next need something I do not want to attempt, but so far the industry as a whole is below satisfactory.
I so agree. I love to get my hands dirty and this soil is just sand, so easy to dig. Pruning is easy too, these tropical plants just snip off.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member

From what I have heard and seen, Mansfield landscaping has a fairly good reputation and I would be leary on accepting on face value the facts that the original poster has made. Oh and BTW, this is HIS/HER FIRST POST if you have not noticed.

First of all the OP states that Mansfield provided her no breakdown of prices and then states that she was able to replace the Sylvester palm for $100 less than what Mansfield charged..how was this determined if no breakdown of prices was provided???

Second she checked with Better Business Bureau and Crimes Against Seniors and NO complaints were on file. I would tend to rely on history and a long term trend that these organizations offer compared to the experience of a single poster on this board !!

A Sylvester dying in 90 days is hard to believe.......can it happen I suppose so, but extremely unlikely. NO contractor with Mansfields name recognition would jeopardize its reputation by providing inferior stock. NOw I have seen Sylvesters take some heavy hits with the past freeze and they may not look as good as others but they are still not dead. If something like a Sylvester would die within 90 days it had to be inferior or sick stock to begin with and you would have to ask why did the homeowner even accept and pay for something that did not look good.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Veteran member

Mansfield did some work for us within the last 30 days. We used them since a friend of ours recently expressed great satisfaction with them after a major landscaping project at her home. Her project was extremely well done.

We called Mansfield requesting an estimate and within a few hours had a representative at our house. While this person may have been somewhat lacking in personal skills he was well versed in landscaping needs and costs.

We needed a patio dug up and replaced, large bottle brush trees removed along with another large plant, replacement trees planted and some additional landscaping done.

While no written bid was given, each phase of the process was verbally quoted individually and we were satisfied with the prices quoted.

Within 5 days the work was started and completed timely. Mansfield asked for no money down and didn't request any payment until all work was finished.

I have no doubt I could have had them write down each phase of the project in order to get a "written estimate" but we didn't feel it was needed.

So if you feel you need a written estimate to feel better, get a couple of quotes in addition to Mansfields. But don't rule them out as they are very timely and require no money until the project is finished.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:13 AM
Default Mansfield vs. McGowan

I dislike making disparaging comments about any contractor but....we had one of our Queen palms die from last winter's extreme cold. Wanted to replace it with a Sabal. McGowan has done a lot of work on our street so I intended to call them, but inadvertantly wrote down a wrong phone number, which turned out of be Mansfield's. I ended up speaking with Steve Mansfield (the owner) on the phone.

Told him I had a wrong number, that I was calling McGowan Landscaping (then he told me who he was). He proceeded to keep me on the phone for the next half hour, giving me the hard sell and saying negative things about McGowan and the work they do. That was all it took to COMPLETELY turn me off to Mansfield.

McGowan replaced our dead Queen with a nice Sabal in a timely manner and at a decent price (much less than Mansfield quoted). It's been in the ground 3 weeks and I can tell it's already starting to grow new fronds. I'm happy with McGowan's work.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I have been living here going on 11 years and have gone thru lots and lots and lots of lawn/bug people. For the past year I have used PTL Services - they now take care of my whole yard and my house (insie and out). I saw a problem with my lawn yesterday and called them. My outside guy, Matt Kibbly, came by today and looked over the situation. He said he didn't have the right chemicals on his truck at the moment to treat what was wrong but that he would be back. He always does what he says he will do and he came back and treated the situtation. I just "hired" them to take care of pests inside my house and haven't seen a critter since they came in and took care of things last week. In fact, Jimmy, the guy who came and treated inside and outside for the pests, asked me if I was satisfied with my lawn and I said what are you referring to, and he said, well, they didn't blow the grass clippings and that is a no no. He said he would take care of it and he did. They do not give you any hassle about anything - you have a problem, they fix it and no extra charge for the service call. And, you always have the same person taking care of you. These guys are neat, clean, professional and just really nice guys.Give them a call, you might find that it is one of the best calls you have made since moving to the Villages. 352-307-7484. I personally don't think you will be sorry.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:34 PM
Default Mansfield??

>>First of all the OP states that Mansfield provided her no breakdown of prices and then states that she was able to replace the Sylvester palm for $100 less than what Mansfield charged..how was this determined if no breakdown of prices was provided???<<

I posted on this Mansfield vs. McGowan a few days ago, but have a couple more thoughts.

When I got stuck on the phone listening to the hard sell from Steve Mansfield, I did tell him what I wanted done and he quoted me $400 to dig up my dead Queen Palm and replacement of it w/a Sabal Palm 10 or so feet tall.

McGowan dug up my Queen and gave me a nice Sabal that is 10 to 12' tall for $225. I would say Mansfield is a bit higher priced.

My neighbors across the street had Mansfield do some extensive landscaping for them. They had some of those terraced stone walls built and planted a lot of plants/trees. Mansfield did a BEAUTIFUL job. I didn't want to ask her how much it cost though...none of my biz. However, when she was telling me about it, she did make a couple comments about the owner (Mansfield) that were less than complimentary. She was speaking about him personally, not the company or the work that was done.

I would ask any landscaper you are considering to give you at least 2 or 3 addresses of jobs they have already done so you can drive by and see for yourself. You might also ask if there are any previous customers you could TALK to about the work they had done. If a company balks at giving you this information, then I'd be a little hesitant to go with them.

Good luck...hope you can find a good company for a decent price.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:58 PM
Default Landscaping

We used Custom Scapes, which is located on HWY 441 across from Leisure Living. They did a fantastic job for us and have backed it up without any problems. Tell them we recommended them Highly.
Bob and Jane Follett
Old 11-26-2010, 12:13 PM
Sage

Quote:

We are in the middle of that process and find it to be a bit overwhelming. I am not rushing to judgement on the selection, so perhaps that and a "logic check" from fellow TOTVrs will be the key. Thanks again. Ray
We are in the process of doing some fairly extensive landscaping. Well, I should say ... we're currently trying to get some estimates. This sounds easier than it is.

I can't find telephone numbers for Village Palms or American Kwik Kerb in the telephone book or on the internet. Another company (recommended on TOTV) stopped by nine days ago, and promised a detailed estimate, but we're still waiting.

I called another company someone had highly recommended, and the telephone number has been discontinued. Scary.

Any help or comments would be appreciated.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.