Lawn Drainage

Closed Thread
Old 04-15-2009, 06:34 PM
Default Lawn Drainage

My grass, in the backyard, has been full of weeds and bare spots for the last year, I am told that it is due to poor drainage and that a yankee drain needs to be installed. Does anyone know what that is, and the name of a reliable contractor who can do the work?
Old 04-16-2009, 09:15 AM

I've never heard of a "yankee drain". I live in Amelia and all the homes in my neighborhood have a "French drain" system installed. This works extremely well and we all have lush lawns. Essentially this is a landscaping process that drains excess water through a series of "swags" or depressions away from and around the houses. The water eventually ends up in the drainage system. The primary purpose is to direct water flow during very heavy rainfall.

Should you decide to investigate something like this be certain the landscape contractor you work with is highly experienced. This is a delicate construct and if not done properly could result in flooding of your home or your neighbors'. I would also think it might be very expensive.

I wish I could direct you to someone. Have you tried calling the Warranty Service Dept.? I find them very helpful with just about any question even if not a warranty issue. Good luck!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.