Lawn edging

Closed Thread
Old 04-25-2018, 12:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts
Default Lawn edging

I don't know if I'm expecting too much but......my lawn cutters seem reluctant to edge my flower beds. In New Jersey, my lawn cutter edged every flower bed, not only along the driveway and curb, and the edging was done vertically. That kept the grass from growing into the flower beds and gave the property a beautiful manicured appearance.

Here in The Villages, my landscape company uses a weed wacker to horizontally cut the grass where the mowers can't reach. The vertical edging along the flower beds seems non existent with exception of along the driveway and curb. Am I expecting too much from my landscape company to keep the grass out of the flower beds with vertical edging?
Old 04-25-2018, 06:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I don't know if I'm expecting too much but......my lawn cutters seem reluctant to edge my flower beds. In New Jersey, my lawn cutter edged every flower bed, not only along the driveway and curb, and the edging was done vertically. That kept the grass from growing into the flower beds and gave the property a beautiful manicured appearance.

Here in The Villages, my landscape company uses a weed wacker to horizontally cut the grass where the mowers can't reach. The vertical edging along the flower beds seems non existent with exception of along the driveway and curb. Am I expecting too much from my landscape company to keep the grass out of the flower beds with vertical edging?
How much did you pay in New Jersey and how much do you pay here? Grass cutting in Ohio is MUCH more expensive.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
How much did you pay in New Jersey and how much do you pay here? Grass cutting in Ohio is MUCH more expensive.
Grass cutting is more expensive per cut but we did not pay for the months when the grass was dormant in winter months. Here, we pay 12 months for lawn service and during the winter months we get maybe one cut a month, maybe none. It works out to be the same. Lawn cuts in NJ stopped at the end of October and resumed in April.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:54 AM

Yes, I think they should be cutting an edge in the garden area. It's the nature of the grass to "creep" - and needs to be kept out of the garden. I have used Falcon and they edge the entire grass area, sidewalk and garden edges.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfGirl122 View Post
Yes, I think they should be cutting an edge in the garden area. It's the nature of the grass to "creep" - and needs to be kept out of the garden. I have used Falcon and they edge the entire grass area, sidewalk and garden edges.
Will you please provide their phone number. Thank you.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:49 PM
Sage

My lawn cutting company was here this afternoon. I found out that they will not do a vertical edging against metal edge and rocks. I was told they will not take a chance of a displaced rock becoming a projectile and smash a window or hurt someone. The company will do a vertical edging only in beds with mulch or pine straw.

The "foreman" of the crew called the office while on my property and this is what I was told by both the foreman and the person in the office. I wish I had known this before I put rock on my property.

Is there any lawn cutting company that will do a vertical edging against metal edge with rocks in the flower beds? Does your company do this?

Last edited by coffeebean; 04-25-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
My lawn cutting company was here this afternoon. I found out that they will not do a vertical edging against metal edge and rocks. I was told they will not take a chance of a displaced rock becoming a projectile and smash a window or hurt someone. The company will do a vertical edging only in beds with mulch or pine straw.

The "foreman" of the crew called the office while on my property and this is what I was told by both the foreman and the person in the office. I wish I had known this before I put rock on my property.

Is there any lawn cutting company that will do a vertical edging against metal edge with rocks in the flower beds? Does your company do this?
We have rock, but we do not have metal to hold volcano rock in. We have a limestone brick that surrounds our beds, so edging is next to the limestone not volcanic rock. There has been a few instances that rock have gone through windows from edging, so I don’t blame your lawn company
Old 04-26-2018, 04:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
We have rock, but we do not have metal to hold volcano rock in. We have a limestone brick that surrounds our beds, so edging is next to the limestone not volcanic rock. There has been a few instances that rock have gone through windows from edging, so I don’t blame your lawn company
I can see how easily the rocks fall out of the flower bed and onto the lawn. I don't want to have to worry about a rock projectile. I'm going to try to lower my expectations of a manicured look on the property and just let the grass grow up to the metal edge. The horizontal "edging" with the week wacker up to the metal edge will have to be good enough to maintain the flower beds. I'll spray any grass that creeps into the flower beds with Round-Up.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

So, coffeebean, are they not edging at all between your metal edging and the grass? We had rocks (the small brown kind) and metal edging, and our lawn maintenance people edged it all. I can't remember if it was totally vertical, but it was edged. Wayne Buckley at The Cutting Edge. thecuttingedgelawn@hotmail.com. He's a little difficult to get ahold of. Email is best.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
So, coffeebean, are they not edging at all between your metal edging and the grass? We had rocks (the small brown kind) and metal edging, and our lawn maintenance people edged it all. I can't remember if it was totally vertical, but it was edged. Wayne Buckley at The Cutting Edge. thecuttingedgelawn@hotmail.com. He's a little difficult to get ahold of. Email is best.
Well......they did edge vertically against the metal edge and the property has that nice manicured appearance. But......I was told by the head of the crew that this is the only time they will do it for me. As I said in a previous post, their company does not vertically edge against metal edging with rocks in the beds. They won't be vertically edging against the metal edge anymore. They will, however, do that type of edging on the flower beds that do not have rocks. Those beds are on the sides of the house and along my hedge in the back.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:15 PM

Sounds like You need a new lawn crew. I wish I could have taken my guy with me, his business name is Mr. Martinez Lawn Care. He was very thorough and listened well to make sure I was satisfied. He asked if I needed walk behind or rider and did not hurry as if his hair was on fire.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:31 PM
Gold member

I do my own lawn maintenance on 3 of my properties.
I also would not use a power edger around metal edging and loose rock. Accident and chewed up edging waiting to happen.
Might try a weed wacker held vertically, but even that may sling rocks.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:42 PM
Sage

The people we use do an OK job, what would I expect for $135./ a qtr--its a lawn its not a manicure

We're a little easy going after having 4 acres of grass in NJ--
Closed Thread

Tags
flower, beds, edging, lawn, grass

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.