Lawn fungus

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2016, 10:42 PM
Default Lawn fungus

We live in Lake Deaton off Underbrush.. We have had a horrible lawn since we bought and have complained to the Villages to no avail. We used Deans with no improvement and have had Massey look as well. Today we had Fertigator come out and the tech told us we have a zoysia fubgus as well as mole crickets. No one else had mentioned this and we see this kind of dark, dead area all over this neighborhood. Has anyone else heard of this? Has anyone used Fertigator and gotten good results? Frankly, i think Lake Deaton has some of the worst looking lawns in the Villages.
Any info is appreciated, as always.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Could be the sod source.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Could be the sod source.
After many Massey visits, we were told the source of the sod could be to blame. We had lots of weeds, but Massey is working to eventually eradicate them. I realize it takes time to develop a healthy, thick lawn. We had mole crickets last year, and they can really wreck havoc, leaving dirt mounds by the deep holes they make in the lawn. Another cause of lawn damage is Sandhills Cranes. They can do lots of damage during their search for food in the ground.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:11 AM

We had mole crickets last year. Dean's told us the area was dry and needed more water. We had Dean's for a couple of months and then switched to Heron. Problem solved.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryanna630 View Post
We live in Lake Deaton off Underbrush.. We have had a horrible lawn since we bought and have complained to the Villages to no avail. We used Deans with no improvement and have had Massey look as well. Today we had Fertigator come out and the tech told us we have a zoysia fubgus as well as mole crickets. No one else had mentioned this and we see this kind of dark, dead area all over this neighborhood. Has anyone else heard of this? Has anyone used Fertigator and gotten good results? Frankly, i think Lake Deaton has some of the worst looking lawns in the Villages.
Deans told us week ago while mowing we had mole crickets, sprayed next day.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:18 AM

We had to have more soil added to our lawn before it started to grow well. It was basically sand before with the addition of concrete that had been dumped on the lot prior to our build. Since it started to come in nicely, Dean's has been very responsive with any issue we've had. We use their treatment service and water regularly as they recommend. For the most part our lawn looks healthy all the time. Some neighbors do not use their irrigation system and only water with a hose when their lawn looks totally baked (and neighbors call it to their attention). I only hope when theirs gets infested or diseased it stops at their property line. I don't understand their logic that water is too high. I think if they could afford the larger lot and all their upgrades they continue to get they would want to take care of their investment.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Remember when all gets said and done we are all attempting to grow grass (like back home) on a sand dune!
Old 03-22-2016, 09:11 AM
Sage

Remember that this stuff that they call grass does not in any way resemble the grass we were used to. And never will.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 03-22-2016, 10:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Southern grasses (Centipede, Zoysia, Bermuda, and St. Augustine) are different than northern grasses. They have the advantage of spreading so reseeding bare spots is not necessary. Bermuda makes a great grass for golf courses. I have had 3 of the 4 grasses and Centipede was my favorite. With proper care and feeding, your lawn can look beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
Remember that this stuff that they call grass does not in any way resemble the grass we were used to. And never will.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:15 PM
Platinum member
Default Mole crickets hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
After many Massey visits, we were told the source of the sod could be to blame. We had lots of weeds, but Massey is working to eventually eradicate them. I realize it takes time to develop a healthy, thick lawn. We had mole crickets last year, and they can really wreck havoc, leaving dirt mounds by the deep holes they make in the lawn. Another cause of lawn damage is Sandhills Cranes. They can do lots of damage during their search for food in the ground.
They also like to hide under the edge of the concrete drive and walkways to keeo out of the cooler weather. If you can find any mole cricket bait, comes in granule form, usually works and last better than the sprays.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

We started using Fertigator last June (our lawn really looked like crap) and they treated it for a fungus and mole crickets; since then, our neighbors regularly comment on how nice our lawn looks and several have started using Fertigator.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:03 PM
Gold member
Default re: lawn lake deaton

Quote:
I think you have a NEW lawn. They lay down sod. If, you look at it is good looking grass with only about 1/2 an inch of root. They actually cut off the roots so it is far easier to transport and install. For a new lawn you need to water it frequently and apply a new lawn fertilizer-will be like 10-24-10. EVERYTHING IN MODERATION-if it says 25 pounds to 5000 sq ft putting twice that much is not better you can kill your not rooted in lawn. If, you have zoyzia. In the villages, it is empire zoysia. People who sell this are licensed by the company and what they are selling is monitored. As to fungus. Sounds like a FLORIDA snow job. Take a sample to the cooperative extension it is free and they will tell you what is wrong without trying to sell you stuff.
As to mole crickets. Each insect has it's own time. I think it is too early for mole crickets. If, you have them you will see toads by your light at night looking for an easy meal.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:06 PM
Gold member
Default re: lawn lake deaton

Quote:
I think you have a NEW lawn. They lay down sod. If, you look at it is good looking grass with only about 1/2 an inch of root. They actually cut off the roots so it is far easier to transport and install. For a new lawn you need to water it frequently and apply a new lawn fertilizer-will be like 10-24-10. EVERYTHING IN MODERATION-if it says 25 pounds to 5000 sq ft putting twice that much is not better you can kill your not rooted in lawn. If, you have zoyzia. In the villages, it is empire zoysia. People who sell this are licensed by the company and what they are selling is monitored. As to fungus. Sounds like a FLORIDA snow job. It is too early in the year for there to be a fungus problem. Take a sample to the cooperative extension it is free and they will tell you what is wrong without trying to sell you stuff.
As to mole crickets. Each insect has it's own time. I think it is too early for mole crickets. If, you have them you will see toads by your light at night looking for an easy meal.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, fertigator, lawn, lake, deaton, neighborhood, area, appreciated, dark, dead, heard, info, kind, lawns, frankly, good, results, worst, told, avail, complained, deans, improvement, bought, live

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.