Lawn Irrigation Volume

Closed Thread
Old 10-20-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruggsNC1 View Post
I have seen other Villages CDD bills...

My Irrigation Use is no where even close to similar.

Here are my numbers for Irrigation Use for 2020:

May 25,360
June 26,130
July 34,060
August 40,510
September 41,750

I do have a corner lot so there is a little more lawn compared to homes that are all in a row.
I do not live here full time so I can't keep control of turning off the System when it is raining for several days.

But, Gee Whiz !! ........this doesn't seem like it should account for tens of thousands of gallons difference.

I have had them come out and check to see if there is a leak and they say no.

At the end of June, I had our Lawn care place come out and set the System.
(In June, even with 26 thousand gallons the lawn was looking burned out)
He changed it to 3 days a week. Added time in some areas. Took a lot of time off in other areas.
So, this is why the # of gallons increased after June.

How many sprinkler heads do you have in your yard? (I think I have about 36)

So, does this sound like the normal amount for a larger lot (not HUGE lot) ?
Or, is something wrong somewhere?

If you have a corner or larger lot, give me an estimate on how much water you are using. Thanks !
I'm hoping they didn't just set all zones the same for all 3 days instead of customizing zones based on what was is in those zones;if all bushes you require less time, grass more time;another saving technique is to water grass zones twice on water days (cut time in half) ;come back around a 2nd time and water again;set time to start 2nd watering about 10 minutes after first watering;this allows the water to soak in instead of running down the street;I run grass zones twice and bushes once;bushes 10 mins twice a week is good, winter 7 or 8 mins;also cut grass areas during fall & winter;I do my own landscaping and irrigation set up;I replaced all original hunter sprinklers (myself) with different Hunter rotors for better coverage in grass areas (Hunter PGP or I-20 for large areas (22 to 52 ft) overlapping coverage;(Hunter PGJ 18 to 25 ft areas);due to size of yard, I suspect you already have rotors;I use only hunter sprays because they work better than others and are easier to swap out and adjust if needed;also using hunter sprays C5530 5ftX30FT on sides between yards which uses less water as they spray 5ft out and 15ft each side so you are not watering neighbor's yard;I replaced my Acclaim controller with a new Hunter PRO-C along with a wireless water sensor (installed myself);also wrote up easy to follow instructions for my neighbors so they can set up their own times so I don't have to keep doing it;have you turned on each zone and walked around to make sure you don't have a busted sprinkler head (look under bushes for hidden ones). If you have a Hunter PRO-C no matter old or new I can send you a PDF copy which will explain how to test zones and set up times etc...email me at wilbbb@msn.com and I will send you a copy;good luck
Old 10-20-2020, 10:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,691 Times in 1,206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwood4d View Post
We also installed a b-hyve (controller) by Orbit 3 months ago ($99 @ Amazon). Very simple DIY installation. Based on our preliminary calculations the system has paid for itself. The system will automatically delay watering if local weather services forecast 1/4" of rain as well as the rain sensor. You can also control it remotely with the app (if your lawn service company applies lawn treatments).
+1 on the B-Hyve, very smart system, reduced my consumption significantly
Old 10-20-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:

May 25,360
June 26,130
July 34,060
August 40,510
September 41,750

I do have a corner lot so there is a little more lawn compared to homes that are all in a row.
I do not live here full time so I can't keep control of turning off the System when it is raining for several days.

But, Gee Whiz !! ........this doesn't seem like it should account for tens of thousands of gallons difference.

He changed it to 3 days a week. Added time in some areas. Took a lot of time off in other areas.

If you have a corner or larger lot, give me an estimate on how much water you are using. Thanks !
Many of us were told there were rain sensors in the sprinkler heads which is not true. There has no been a rainy season this year in many parts and we have no say so in the water bill. Villages bought water company and have a monopoly on everything.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I hope you didn't fill the hot tub with reclaimed irrigation water.
How is it possible to do that? Outside spigots are potable water, not irrigation water to the best of my knowledge.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:45 AM

I have a corner lot use about 11k monthly. My lawn is deep green. However, I do my own lawn maintenance. Years ago I was in the business.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM0614 View Post
Many of us were told there were rain sensors in the sprinkler heads which is not true.(Who told you this?)

There has no been a rainy season this year in many parts and we have no say so in the water bill.( We all had a rainy season maybe different amounts in different areas. You have complete say on how much water you use.)

Villages bought water company and have a monopoly on everything. (What are the parts of the monopoly on everything?)
Just wondering...
Old 10-20-2020, 10:53 AM

I have a Courtyard villa on a corner lot. I have 84 (yes 84) sprinkler heads spread out over 7 zones. I use between 5k-12k gallons / mo. I am a snow bird but keep eye on yard with camera and yard care person. Grass is doing fine. Get yourself a B-Hybe sprinkler controller. Very easy DYI install. Then u can control from anywhere.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyBob View Post
Installed Rachio system in late August and now saving water and $. Slightly larger than average (pie shaped) lot. Used to have similar usage as OP. Rain sensor was not reliable. Phone app allows full control of system from anywhere.
I also have a larger than average (pie shaped) lot. Installed the Rachio system with a water meter a year ago and it works great. It lets me know how much water I use at any time and will automatically turn off a zone if a head breaks and send me a text and email to let me know. It is very easy to install and has saved me a lot of water. If you would like to see how it works you can send me a private message.

Last edited by blgunkel; 10-20-2020 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Add to original post
Old 10-20-2020, 11:32 AM

I’ve got the same issue but my bills are even higher. Pls let me know what ends up working for you. Thanks
Old 10-20-2020, 12:27 PM
Default I turn mine off

I am a snow bird and when I leave for the summer I turn my sprinklers off. I ask my neighbor if my lawn looks dry, turn them on for a week. I don't think he has ever turned them on. By the way, moisture sensors don't work. Like someone else posted, 2 hrs after a down pour or a week of constant rain, they dry out and turn your system on again.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:30 PM

You are only supposed to water two times per week and your days should be shown on your sprinkler controller. Your lawn care person doesn't know what he is doing.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:31 PM
Gold member

For that size lot you should be using about 10,000 gallons per month for Zoysia. Set your Hunter controller to water every 5 days (Go to "Water Days" and press the left arrow. Set the left number to "5"). The Hunter MP Rotator lawn heads put down an inch of water in about 70 minutes of runtime. That will soak the ground to about 8 inches. I disconnected the wonky outdoor sensor by pulling the bottom green sensor wire in the control box and then flipping the front switch to "Bypass". It is imprtant to water deep and infrequent so that the Zoysia roots will go into the ground.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:43 PM
Send a message via ICQ to Marge K

I also have a corner lot and large gardens in my backyard, my bills are
May 21,220
June 25,940
July 21,880
Aug 15,870
Old 10-20-2020, 01:43 PM

You are definitely using too much water for irrigation. I have a corner lot and use between 11,000 and 20,000 gal per month, depending on the rain this summer. I run it three times per week. If you have a qualified person checking your system they should be able to pinpoint any problem that you're having. They need to check every sprinkler head and the rain/temperature sensor to see if it's ok. You also may have a leak somewhere.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:

May 25,360
June 26,130
July 34,060
August 40,510
September 41,750

My lot is on corner and measures with house on it 10340 sq/ft . House is lantana w/3car garage so figure 3300sq/ft plus driveway not watered. 44 sprinklers in grass plus the bushes. Five zones. What size is your lot? Interested to know because I think mine is huge compared to others. Like half a dog park big on the side.

Used 19k in September and 22k in October . I ran it an extra cycle one week due to lawn treatment. Set to twice a week, hour per zone, irrigation company said new heads put down half as much as old ones so I should be getting an inch a week. Seasonal and rain monitor on. We are also not there, so dont know much about if it ran long or short. Do know grass was brownish compared to neighbors first week of October but I put some fertilizer down and greened up in week.

So what size is your lot?
Closed Thread

Tags
lot, lawn, june, time, gallons

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.