Lawn and lanscape routine

Closed Thread
Old 05-28-2021, 06:03 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

I use Dean's for pest. Fertigator for fertilizing. Do my own weeding. Use a local guy for lawn.
Old 05-28-2021, 06:51 AM
Default Massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree with Massey for the pest, fertilizing, and irrigation. But, even the Massey salesman told me that their price for mowing is too expensive. And, I didn't know that Massey will trim shrubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
We are using Massey for pest and irrigaton.

Was using them for weed and fertilizing but decided their price was outrageous and they do nothing with shrubs.

Numerous Massey employees have told me not to use them for mowing. Very unreliable and huge turnover.
Not sure if your comment "they do nothing with shrubs" was sarcasm or not, but they have trimmed my shrubs. Since I'm remote, I can't comment on the quality of their work yet, but in my case they have been reliable. Once I move down full time I plan to re-evaluate cost, quality, and whether I'd prefer to do some of the work myself.
Old 05-28-2021, 07:10 AM
Location: We have recently purchased a home at 6036 Dijulio in Monarch Grove. We
Default We brought TruGreen with us

We had great success with TruGreen in Wisconsin and now have them here. Compliments from the neighbors about how green our lawn is now tells me all I need is know.
As far as mowing it’s a mystery. The big mowers tear up the lawn if it’s wet and trying to find an individual who will mow with a push mower has proven taxing.
Old 05-28-2021, 07:17 AM
Veteran member

Been in FL 28 years. Monthly pesticide treatments is overkill. Quarterly is more than sufficient. If the company is putting down what they tell you and not just water (it happens) it is subjecting you to a lot of unnecessary poison.
Old 05-28-2021, 07:19 AM
Veteran member

Massey’s also tries to up sale you. They tried to talk us into treating the inside of our house. They would even take off light switches to spray behind the walls. Decided to listen to our realtor and Deans who said we didn’t need it. Here for over a year and have never seen a bug in the house. Hardly any outside the house for that matter.
Old 05-28-2021, 07:45 AM

We use Massey for mowing and lawn treatments. We have no complaints. They actually reduced the fee for mowing after we put in a pool upon our request. Many in our neighborhood use them and are pleased. We do the trimming and weeding.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:43 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
you need a special license here in Florida to do pest control. Join nextdoor.com for your neighborhood to get recommendations from your neighbors and to ask questions. If you have an oak tree....good luck with that. Pods grow in queen palms that need to be removed if you don't want them to burst. do not hire anyone driving thru your neighborhood looking for yard work. VERY expensive and don't usually do a good job. I use Falcon, much better than Massey or Deans
The only license you need is a drivers license to get to Home Depot and get a gallon of "Home Defense".
Use inside and out...no bugs.
You would only need a special license if you are doing pest control as a business.
All the materials a professional uses are readily available on-line or in Leesburg.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:44 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,192 Times in 761 Posts

Most of my neighbors use Massey, I prefer to do it myself.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackercraft View Post
We had great success with TruGreen in Wisconsin and now have them here. Compliments from the neighbors about how green our lawn is now tells me all I need is know.
As far as mowing it’s a mystery. The big mowers tear up the lawn if it’s wet and trying to find an individual who will mow with a push mower has proven taxing.
This is the first time in my life that anyone other than me mowed my lawn. The pros will, cannot afford to do the kind of care you would do. Mow once a week? You are not supposed to cut off more than 1/3 of the lawn length. At times that means mowing twice a week. With their volume, the blades probably need to be sharpened once or twice a week. Cleaning the mower between lawns to prevent spreading weeds, insects, disease-of course not.
Old 05-28-2021, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgiii View Post
We moved into our house yesterday and got a list of lawn and landscape providers that the previous owners used.

Just wondering what you need on a routine basis.

We need regular mowing. I get that. But what else? Pest control probably. Routine fertilization. shrub trimming.

Do you get one firm to do it all or, like the previous owner, 5 different companies?
Like with any project, if you can get one to do it all, you extinguish the finger pointing of one contractor blaming another for the problem. As one response said, join Nextdoor....in your area, then ask the best performance from your neighbor, then look at that contractor's current clients that they have been doing for several years for grass to find the best one.
Old 06-02-2021, 03:35 PM
Veteran member

Does someone have the contact info for Deans?
Old 06-03-2021, 05:34 AM

Please make sure whoever you hire includes fungicide application nearly every month, eight to ten times a year. If ytou read the label you'll see no mone than 21 to 30 days of protection per application.
Old 08-10-2021, 12:28 PM
Send a message via AIM to ragtag22 Send a message via Skype™ to ragtag22
Default Lawn cutting services?

Does anybody use a lawn cutting and edging service that also bags the grass clippings? I'm looking for a new company for my lawn.
Old 08-10-2021, 12:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,045 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental1 View Post
Not sure if your comment "they do nothing with shrubs" was sarcasm or not, but they have trimmed my shrubs. Since I'm remote, I can't comment on the quality of their work yet, but in my case they have been reliable. Once I move down full time I plan to re-evaluate cost, quality, and whether I'd prefer to do some of the work myself.
I should clarify my earlier post.

Massey was fertilizing and putting down a weed killer on our lawn and we noticed an abundance of weeds around our shrubbery.

Asked the guy about this and told me that they only work on your shrubs if you have a contract for mowing your lawn. Asked him again and he said that is their policy.
Closed Thread

Tags
routine, lawn, previous, pest, control

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.