Lawn and lanscape routine

Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2021, 07:16 AM
Default Lawn and lanscape routine

We moved into our house yesterday and got a list of lawn and landscape providers that the previous owners used.

Just wondering what you need on a routine basis.

We need regular mowing. I get that. But what else? Pest control probably. Routine fertilization. shrub trimming.

Do you get one firm to do it all or, like the previous owner, 5 different companies?
Old 05-27-2021, 08:14 AM

You can hire one company like Massey or Superior to do it all for hundreds of dollars a year or save a bunch and do it your self. Lawn mowing are separate companies usually and will run about 50-60 a month depending on yard size.
Old 05-27-2021, 08:36 AM

I chose Massey to do it all. Pest, mowing, fertilizing, shrub trimming, and sprinkler maintenance. We’re snowbirds for the time being so I thought having a single supplier would be easier.
Old 05-27-2021, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,670 Times in 5,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental1 View Post
I chose Massey to do it all. Pest, mowing, fertilizing, shrub trimming, and sprinkler maintenance. We’re snowbirds for the time being so I thought having a single supplier would be easier.
I agree with Massey for the pest, fertilizing, and irrigation. But, even the Massey salesman told me that their price for mowing is too expensive. And, I didn't know that Massey will trim shrubs.
Old 05-27-2021, 08:53 AM

Talk to your neighbors, they are a wealth of information.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

We have LeeCo for pesticide on the lawn only (I have an herb garden and don't use any pesticides in it). Our grass grows just fine without separate fertilizers so we don't bother with that. We mow our own lawn, we edge our own driveway, I weed my own garden, and we trim our own bushes.

It's $50/month for LeeCo, and if we see any new fire-ant mounds he'll come out and treat them when he's in the area next, even if it's not our "turn" on the rotation.
Old 05-27-2021, 01:45 PM

Whatever you do...ABSOLUTELY do not hire Good Neighbor Landscaping !! Roy Blackburn is a scam-artist and should be in jail,,,Pretty much everyone you ask will back that up!
Old 05-27-2021, 01:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,036 Times in 5,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree with Massey for the pest, fertilizing, and irrigation. But, even the Massey salesman told me that their price for mowing is too expensive. And, I didn't know that Massey will trim shrubs.
We are using Massey for pest and irrigaton.

Was using them for weed and fertilizing but decided their price was outrageous and they do nothing with shrubs.

Numerous Massey employees have told me not to use them for mowing. Very unreliable and huge turnover.
Old 05-28-2021, 04:53 AM

Most of the houses around me use Deans. Everyone using the same lawn service cuts down on daily mower noise.
We have full service, which I believe prevents the roaches I read about in TOV.
Old 05-28-2021, 05:01 AM
Veteran member

you need a special license here in Florida to do pest control. Join nextdoor.com for your neighborhood to get recommendations from your neighbors and to ask questions. If you have an oak tree....good luck with that. Pods grow in queen palms that need to be removed if you don't want them to burst. do not hire anyone driving thru your neighborhood looking for yard work. VERY expensive and don't usually do a good job. I use Falcon, much better than Massey or Deans
Old 05-28-2021, 05:07 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgiii View Post
We moved into our house yesterday and got a list of lawn and landscape providers that the previous owners used.

We need regular mowing. I get that. But what else? Pest control probably. Routine fertilization. shrub trimming.

Do you get one firm to do it all or, like the previous owner, 5 different companies?
Pest control is a definite YES. If you don’t have your grass treated on a regular basis you won’t have grass for long. No matter what kind of grass you have there is something here in Central Florida that will destroy it. We have Falcon for that and they fertilize also. Getting the same lawn maintenance/grass cutter that your neighbors have is a good idea if they will take you on.
Old 05-28-2021, 05:34 AM

only need insect stuff once a year, other problems will show there ugly head.We used Deans,never a problem.
Old 05-28-2021, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOERILLA View Post
Whatever you do...ABSOLUTELY do not hire Good Neighbor Landscaping !! Roy Blackburn is a scam-artist and should be in jail,,,Pretty much everyone you ask will back that up!
Just stay away from Roy Blackburn in general..........the company name changes constantly. The last known name was Central Termite and Pest LLC but who knows what it will be tomorrow.
Old 05-28-2021, 05:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgiii View Post

I use 1 firm to do it all the cost is $129 a month. 4 times a year trims, every 6 weeks fertilize and weed, pest and disease control. Sprays inside for pests upon request and mows weekly. Land Sculpture is the company very nice people.
Old 05-28-2021, 05:58 AM
Location: Wisconsin, California, military, California, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, (Ugh!) and, FINALLY, TV
Default Look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadeofdave View Post
Talk to your neighbors, they are a wealth of information.
In fact, look at your neighbor's yards, and ask the ones that look appealing to you.
Closed Thread

Tags
routine, lawn, previous, pest, control

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.