Lawn Mowing help

Closed Thread
Old 08-19-2021, 11:54 AM
Default Lawn Mowing help

I need someone to mow my lawn every week. Current mower is very good, but has fallen behind. I want someone who mows with other than a huge, heavy zero-turn mower. Can anyone recommend someone who is not overwhelmed with customers?
Old 08-25-2021, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1384 View Post
I need someone to mow my lawn every week. Current mower is very good, but has fallen behind. I want someone who mows with other than a huge, heavy zero-turn mower. Can anyone recommend someone who is not overwhelmed with customers?
Ask your neighbors. The Villages is huge. Most of these people stay in one section rather than wasting time and money driving all over the place. As far as not using a riding mower,
I would guess someone who does smaller lawns like the Villas would use a smaller mower-not a rider mower. I do not mow my own lawn. Actually this is the first time in my life that I did not do my own. My back is a mess and I am older today than I was yesterday. However, once a week is Villages tradition. You are not supposed to cut off more than 1/3rd of the grass blade. Once a week at times is not often enough and at other times it is too often. Keeping blades sharp? Not bringing weeds? Not mowing wet grass in the rain? Only way to properly do it is to do it yourself.
Old 11-20-2021, 11:20 AM

Asking neighbors does not work as they mostly use the BIG companies that tear up the lawns. I am not physically able to do it myself. Most mowers want to be paid monthly or yearly, even in the fall/winter/early spring when the grass does not need cutting.. If you complain, they quit. I would love to pay by the mow. Does anyone do that? Tired of being taken advantage of. I don't mind paying for good service. I just want to get what I pay for. Any other recommendations?
Old 11-20-2021, 11:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,715 Times in 5,244 Posts

Quote:
Asking neighbors does not work as they mostly use the BIG companies that tear up the lawns. I am not physically able to do it myself. Most mowers want to be paid monthly or yearly, even in the fall/winter/early spring when the grass does not need cutting.. If you complain, they quit. I would love to pay by the mow. Does anyone do that? Tired of being taken advantage of. I don't mind paying for good service. I just want to get what I pay for. Any other recommendations?
Very few companies will allow you to pay by the mow, but most will allow you to pay monthly. I would never pay a year in advance.
Old 11-20-2021, 11:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Most mowers want to be paid monthly or yearly, even in the fall/winter/early spring when the grass does not need cutting.. If you complain, they quit.
Well think about this.
Their expenses don't stop because the grass stops growing.
They need steady income like all businesses.
Also, when it's 95 degrees and their out there mowing your lawn, do you guys still complain?

As far as using smaller mowers, yes there are some out there but very few.
If you find one you like, tip them $20.00 once in awhile, don't be so cheap.
Have one less $8.00 cocktail that day.
Old 11-20-2021, 01:46 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Right now you are lucky to get someone to show up and mow. Is a company is reliable almost no chance they are taking new customers. Best to do it yourself. Don’t need to mow much this time of year
Old 11-20-2021, 02:35 PM
Platinum member

Even if your company is getting behind, suggest you keep him. Our landscaper was and probably still is not taking new customers even when new customer was in same neighborhood. Appears to me that they have rapid turnover and suspect that their employees might be considering opening their own businesses.

Noted you did not want huge riding mowers used. Good luck finding that person/company and getting a reasonable price. Takes 2-4X more labor using a non high speed riding mower. There is a good reason that these machines cost more than our golf carts.

Secondly, grass will get go dormant soon and not grow as fast. Might want to reconsider in the spring.
Old 11-20-2021, 03:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

Quote:
they are not taking advantage of you they are just averaging there yearly bill like many other business, alternative they charge much more in summer to make up for the small group of people that have a problem with the monthly arrangement, it’s not a village thing it’s a lawn care way of doing business everywhere, I sure hope you find the guy who’ll cut when you want and while your at it get 3 or 4 more guys like that so when each one quits you’ll have more to choose front , I’ve never used a lawn mower in my life and these guys work hard for there money
Old 11-20-2021, 03:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

I pay monthly knowing that the summer they are here every week and in the winter every 2 or 3 weeks. I am fine with that. They figure out the yearly cost and divide by 12. There might be some that use a push mower but it may cost more. Most like to stay in an area and not travel from one side or the other. Look around your area for someone that meets your needs.
Old 11-20-2021, 04:41 PM

Visit nearby villa neighborhoods and check out the mowing companies. Many focused on villa yards use push mowers. Big mowers are hard to navigate the small lots
Old 11-20-2021, 07:23 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Coy's Lawn Care 979-966-7755

Uses push mower. I don't what village you live in so I'm not sure how far he is willing to go to mow a yard. I live south of 44 where he has a number of customers. Give him a call, he is a polite young man that keeps me well informed unlike the previous one who would never return calls or emails. Coy is reliable and does a good job. He is just starting out with his business so he might not be overloaded yet.
You don't need your yard mowed every week in the winter. If you insist on it being done weekly expect to pay much more for the service as has been pointed out in a previous post. There is a woman that also does push mowing and she charges by the mowing. She mows the snow bird neighbors yard when they are up north. Size of yard dictates the price for the service. Natica Losee 410-370-4522 or Natica3100@gmail.com email is the best way to contact her. I'm not sure how far she is willing to travel to mow a yard.
Old 11-21-2021, 06:45 AM
Default lawnmower help

Quote:
Call Bill at 989-284-0220. He useses walk behind mowers, bag or mulch is paid by the mow, and lives in TV full time, he may have an opening.
Closed Thread

Tags
lawn, mower, zero-turn, huge, heavy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.