Lawn mowing - went DIY

Closed Thread
Old 07-06-2018, 11:12 PM
Sage
Default Lawn mowing - went DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
What do you have, 10 square feet of lawn? [emoji3] 20 minutes to mow, trim AND edge! No way or you must be superman doing it at warp speed! I have a small property and mowing alone takes ~45 minutes with a decent speed self-propelled mower. Maybe just a little hyperbole there Mr Kent ??????? [emoji3] [emoji3]

Got 1/3 acre. Last time I mowed I brought it down a notch. Took me 3 hours with a Honda self propelled, I had it. Zoysia ain’t Kentucky blue. Now, a guy comes once every Monday, like clockwork, and for 65 bucks a month spares my knees, feet and overall well being and happiness [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2018, 05:30 AM
Location: Formerly Village of Gilchrist, now Pensacola Villas

Are you for hire? We have free beer tomorrow!
Old 07-07-2018, 04:24 PM
Sage

It's very important to have a sharp blade on your lawnmower or else the blades of grass will be knock or torn off instead of a clean cut. I sharpen mine every 5 or 6 grass cuttings and doubt that the lawn services ever do.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

I've DIY'd it all of my life and have no desire to turn the care of my yard over to anyone else. To tell the truth, when I get off work, it's stress relief to me to work out in my lawn.

I see all the other neighbors in the loop I live in change lawn services it seems like every couple of months and they're never satisfied with the results.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:26 PM

I would like to buy something EZ to use like an electric mower. Just moved into a CYV - husband died a few weeks ago - so I need something simple - without a pull cord.
Any recommendations for electric ?
Old 07-14-2018, 12:00 PM
Default Perhaps obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecoralbill View Post
So, what size is your lot, interior, or corner, large , small? Thanks I am looking at the self propelled EGO At 499.00 my lot is a corner, i'd call it medium large 200 ft by 80 ft. Bill
You state your lot is 200x80 so 16,000 sq foot. Of course you need to subtract the footprint of you home and any planting beds.

It is important not only to decide what mower to purchase but perhaps more important to know how much fertilizer etc is needed for each section of your lawn.

Close enough is fine. A free form rectangle just firgure it as a rectangle ame for triangle,circle etc.

My lawn is 5000 sq foot. For a spreader I use one of those
Green Scotts hand crank Whirleybird spreaders. It works fine. It is inexpensive and it takes up no valueable storage space.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:20 PM

I also cut and trim my grass, but looking for someone to do it when we go on vacation. Having trouble getting anyone to reply to emails or phone calls. Any suggestions?
Old 07-14-2018, 06:44 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiots View Post
I didn’t read in my deed restrictions that my batteries must be charged in the garage. I will trade buying a new battery in a few years, or even a new tool, for dealing with smelly gas and oil, potential spills, etc.

This thread isn’t about gas vs. electric anyway. Nothing wrong with gas tools if that’s what you want. If I had already had a gas mower, I probably wouldn’t have tossed it for electric. But since I can’t drive my mower to the pump like you can a golf cart, it is nice to not have to lug around and store a gas can.
I have a gas cart and bought a gas self propelled Toro mower. It is a "Smart Stow" model the stores upright and only takes up 2 sq ft of storage space. As far as keeping a gas container in the garage, I purchased a $4 siphon from Harbor freight and fill my mower from my cart's gas tank...that way I don;t have to push it to the gas station.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:53 AM
Gold member

Have the EGO 56V self-propelled model with powerload sting trimmer and blower. self-propel easy adjustable from stupid slow to fast walk with slide switch. i can mow the lawn twice on single charge and it has headlights if you want to mow at night. It really is near zero effort. carrying the 7.5ah battery to and from the charger is the hardest part

All the neighbors pay $1400 per year to lawn "care" companies and their lawns look awful.

Fert and Pest is easier than mowing. Use BiFen XTS and one gallon sprayer...less than a buck per gallon. 15-0-15 + Iron Fert.

Last edited by MorTech; 07-15-2018 at 03:01 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:15 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

I'm the OP. As mentioned I bought Ryobi 40v lawn care equip at HD. Have mowed, edged, trimmed 3 times since firing Deans. As some have mentioned here - our lawn has never looked better. ALWAYS had issues with the superfast cut of their riding mower, and uneven trimming - either scalped or not even. Their goal always seemed to be 'git 'er done'. I do think that their mowing equip brought in weed seeds or such too.

Their pest/lawn fert service was OK - just OK. We have one 15 sq ft area in our front lawn that developed small weeds a couple months ago and choked out much of the grass. I complained to them, they came out again to treat and will be out again next week. After that - Deans will be fired for that duty too.

Our outlay -standard size Designer lot was $50/mo mowing $80 fert et al every 2 mos. So annual was just over $1K. My reasoning for DIY; a bit of exercise, satisfaction of DIY, better result, save some $$$ as well. The equip takes up very little room in the garage, mower stows folded/upright. And the stuff should last longer than I will....

Tags
lawn, equip, time, years, 40v

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.