Lawn mowing - went DIY

Closed Thread
Old 07-06-2018, 07:31 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts
Default Lawn mowing - went DIY

For the first time in 15 years, mowed my lawn myself yesterday here in TV.
Been here 4 years and 10 in another 55+ comm nearby. That one had home lawn service INCLUDED with the monthly amenity bill - was nice in that every house was cut the same period of time, done well, and at a lesser cost. Since coming to TV we had a firm (with the same name as mine...) do our cutting and fert . Spotty on the cutting trimming all this time - never happy with trimming, either too short or not great around the stacked walls etc. And they fly thru will the riding mower. This year, for the same price and they only come every OTHER week each summer month.
Finally got fed up and quit them and bought lawn care equip at HD and VERY happy with result...what I bought>

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-20...80-Y/304597920

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-40...0220/204589659

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-Ex...DG12/207209914

Did not want to invest in gas equip so did a bunch of research - decided on 40V lithium battery equip. The Ryobi was rated up there and got all above for $450 at HD. 2 40V batteries. The stuff did a tremendous job and I got some exercise and the pleasure of DIY. Did our entire lawn - cut/trim/edge on 2/3 of one battery. Could not be more pleased - esp calling and quitting the lawn co. (we are still keeping them for fert and pest for now).

The $$$ equip investment will pay off in 9 months and our lawn will look better for a bit of work on my part.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:38 AM

Good for you! When we become full time I plan to do the same!!!
Old 07-06-2018, 08:28 AM

So, what size is your lot, interior, or corner, large , small? Thanks I am looking at the self propelled EGO At 499.00 my lot is a corner, i'd call it medium large 200 ft by 80 ft. Bill
Old 07-06-2018, 08:32 AM

I'm a new resident in a brand new home and, ultimately, decided to do the same thing. I came here from having over an acre to mow weekly, in very similar summer heat and humidity for the past 20+ years. Since I wasn't retiring from my job, I bragged that I would at least retire from mowing grass. But, after reading and hearing, and even experiencing many of the things that residents deal with (mowers not showing up when expected, tearing up lawns with 0 turn mowers, half-assing the weed-eating and edging, etc.), I followed the old saying that "if you want it done right, do it yourself". Every other week would be nowhere near enough for me right now. Mine could really be done twice a week right now, much less once every 2 weeks. And what happens if, for some reason, they can't make it on schedule - you wait another week, maybe two? Bottom line, right now I am physically capable of doing it, so I decided to do it. It certainly isn't about the cost as most are ridiculously, reasonably priced when compared to other areas. I could get mine done monthly here for what it would have cost me per week where I came from, and that would be just for mowing, no edging or blowing. I already had the lithium powered weed trimmer/edger and blower, so I went out and got a 60v lithium mower. It cuts great and is super quiet compared to a gas mower, and no gas to deal with.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:34 AM
Thumbs up Did it Too !!!!!

Like you, became fed-up with lawn services. Bought the
mower, edger and trimmer to do it myself. Lawn has never looked as good and get compliments from neighbors. They want to know who does our lawn. Another thing is we stopped having a real nightmare with weeds. Services would bring diseases and weed seeds from other lawns to deposit in our. Not anymore....

As LONG as I am able I'll do it myself.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:34 AM

I returned to mowing for the same issues. I also purchased a Scott's Drop Spreader for fertilizer and bug granules. My lawn looks better now than ever. I will also recommend a product I found last year. It works great and helps keep me cool while I work.

FlexiFreeze Ice Vest - My Cooling Store
Old 07-06-2018, 09:56 AM

I do ours as well, for the same reasons that you write about. Not that I love it, but have watched many of my neighbors go from contrator to contractor for any number of reasons.

You also make an excellent point about the advantages of having it included in your amenities. Good price for the community because of economies of scale, but the biggest advantage is that all the noise happens on one day of the week. In my neighborhood, somebody's lawn is getting cut or their bushes are getting trimmed every single day of the week.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Did that as well starting last March. Bought a used 1yr old Snapper mower for $100 from a guy that gave up DIY & a refurb string trimmer. It wasn't so much the $50/mo for the lawn folks (that was part of it) but that they really didn't do any better than I could so I fired 'em! If I can make it through the summer I htink I'll be set.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:38 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

I've been doing my own for six months now and it looks great. I even do the fertilize and bug control myself.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:03 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

We tried Dean's also and they pretty much destroyed our lawn by scalping it last fall, I really got tired of calling them and listening to less than truthful replies for all the issues we were having so got rid of them and have been doing it myself since spring. What a difference, our lawn is thick and dark green, free of weeds and bugs and just looks great. It takes me exactly 20 minutes to mow, trim, and edge, another 15 to clean up if the lawn is wet when I mow. As log as I'm capable of putting 20 minutes or so into taking care of our lawn, I'll continue to do it. We brought our equipment down from the north and buy everything else at Sparrs, they are very helpful and have everything needed. Coming from the north there was a little research involved in how to maintain southern St. Augustine grass, the various shrubs and flowers and now we have a few palms I'm taking care of too.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:09 PM

I am also DIY here....Not happy with yard services, timely work ethics, effort, and attitudes.....Thought, yard mowing, all yards on street at same time, this through T.V. landscaping..No, did not do any research, viewed and bought prop. same day, one hour here, rest, via computer ...I was pressed for time, so not complaining..Kinda enjoy mowing , trimming, planting..This, rewarding, and great exercise, better than a gym....Mistake two, bought all gas garden equipment ...Now, going for all the E-Go battery garden equipment.
As time travels, marches on, I will be on the lookout for lawn service on the up, and up in T.V....Is this place Micky Ds? cause, i'm lovin it....
Old 07-06-2018, 07:07 PM
Default Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
For the first time in 15 years, mowed my lawn myself yesterday here in TV.
Been here 4 years and 10 in another 55+ comm nearby. That one had home lawn service INCLUDED with the monthly amenity bill - was nice in that every house was cut the same period of time, done well, and at a lesser cost. Since coming to TV we had a firm (with the same name as mine...) do our cutting and fert . Spotty on the cutting trimming all this time - never happy with trimming, either too short or not great around the stacked walls etc. And they fly thru will the riding mower. This year, for the same price and they only come every OTHER week each summer month.
Finally got fed up and quit them and bought lawn care equip at HD and VERY happy with result...what I bought>

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-20...80-Y/304597920

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-40...0220/204589659

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-Ex...DG12/207209914

Did not want to invest in gas equip so did a bunch of research - decided on 40V lithium battery equip. The Ryobi was rated up there and got all above for $450 at HD. 2 40V batteries. The stuff did a tremendous job and I got some exercise and the pleasure of DIY. Did our entire lawn - cut/trim/edge on 2/3 of one battery. Could not be more pleased - esp calling and quitting the lawn co. (we are still keeping them for fert and pest for now).

The $$$ equip investment will pay off in 9 months and our lawn will look better for a bit of work on my part.
For four years we had the same guy mowing our lawn with a, in my opinion, too large and too heavy a riding mower.
He after four years of reliable service-SIMPLY DISAPPEARED. Since we paid him at the start of each month-HE STOLE SEVERAL WEEKS FROM US.

There are still ruts in my lawn from the use of his too big heavy a mower. We are now using a guy with a push mower-NO NEW TRACKS.

AS TO FERTILIZER-I do my own, TRUTH-f I do say so myself, I have one of the best lawns in my area. My cost is far less. Due to having improved, with manure, our existing sandy clay, and using no more fertilizer than is minimally needed, I use far less water than my neighbors do. .
Old 07-06-2018, 07:23 PM
Default Gas vs electric tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagevip View Post
I am also DIY here....Not happy with yard services, timely work ethics, effort, and attitudes.....Thought, yard mowing, all yards on street at same time, this through T.V. landscaping..No, did not do any research, viewed and bought prop. same day, one hour here, rest, via computer ...I was pressed for time, so not complaining..Kinda enjoy mowing , trimming, planting..This, rewarding, and great exercise, better than a gym....Mistake two, bought all gas garden equipment ...Now, going for all the E-Go battery garden equipment.
As time travels, marches on, I will be on the lookout for lawn service on the up, and up in T.V....Is this place Micky Ds? cause, i'm lovin it....
Probably the same debate between gas or electric golf carts. I expect we all have rechargeable drills. The batteries last 4-7 years depending on how you take care of them. In your garage which often is well over 100 degrees, I murders your batteries and like your electric drill
replacement batteries can be as much or more than you paid for the tool. Modern gasoline engines are far more reliable due to electronic ignition. Gone are the replacing of points every year-if you want the engine to start and run. The old L head engines (side valves) have been replaced by overhead valves which are more efficient run cleaner and last longer.

It is great to have so many choices. More ROOM to store the stuff-THAT WOULD BE EVEN BETTER.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:54 PM

I didn’t read in my deed restrictions that my batteries must be charged in the garage. I will trade buying a new battery in a few years, or even a new tool, for dealing with smelly gas and oil, potential spills, etc.

This thread isn’t about gas vs. electric anyway. Nothing wrong with gas tools if that’s what you want. If I had already had a gas mower, I probably wouldn’t have tossed it for electric. But since I can’t drive my mower to the pump like you can a golf cart, it is nice to not have to lug around and store a gas can.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
It takes me exactly 20 minutes to mow, trim, and edge, another 15 to clean up if the lawn is wet when I mow.

What do you have, 10 square feet of lawn? 20 minutes to mow, trim AND edge! No way or you must be superman doing it at warp speed! I have a small property and mowing alone takes ~45 minutes with a decent speed self-propelled mower. Maybe just a little hyperbole there Mr Kent ???????
Closed Thread

Tags
lawn, equip, time, years, 40v

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.