Lawn Ruts, tire tracks, bare spots & weeds

Closed Thread
Old 11-30-2018, 09:46 AM
Default Lawn Ruts, tire tracks, bare spots & weeds

During my daily walk I've observed many residents lawns have become degraded with damage from the large commercial big wheel lawn mowers. Patterns worn into the lawns from the same mowing paths and turns taken (as fast as possible), circles worn around any individual plantings in front yards, effect from dull blades, and possible lawn weeds and fungus spread from lawn to lawn via mowing wet lawns and not bagging clippings. IMHO There are visible differences appearances between some of the lawns maintained by homeowners, and those done under contracts. Take a look and notify your lawn service, get your monthly $$$ value! Bottom line is if I have enough energy to participate in all my Villages activities, I'll mow my lawn until not physically able. Just my .02:clap2.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward III View Post
During my daily walk I've observed many residents lawns have become degraded with damage from the large commercial big wheel lawn mowers. Patterns worn into the lawns from the same mowing paths and turns taken (as fast as possible), circles worn around any individual plantings in front yards, effect from dull blades, and possible lawn weeds and fungus spread from lawn to lawn via mowing wet lawns and not bagging clippings. IMHO There are visible differences appearances between some of the lawns maintained by homeowners, and those done under contracts. Take a look and notify your lawn service, get your monthly $$$ value! Bottom line is if I have enough energy to participate in all my Villages activities, I'll mow my lawn until not physically able. Just my .02:clap2.
Many have aspirations to care for their lawns themselves and then time moves on and the very low prices for lawn maintenance are compelling. In ten years you may change your mind on cutting your own lawn.

We have had lawns mowed by big ole' riding mowers here for eleven years and no patterns or fungus.

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-30-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

We have a great lawn service that uses push mowers. No interest in taking care of our lawn when we have a great service. We would rather be golfing than mowing.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

One of the issues I had was the company only mowed every other week so they cut it short to make it last. I changed companies and they cut it every week and cut it higher.....big positive difference.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 11-30-2018, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Edward, I thought my lawn was finished about a month or so ago. Someone, not our regular guy by mistake cut it so low I thought it would fry. I watered it daily for a month and changed to a push mower instead of them using a mower as big as a jeep and we are almost back to normal.

They finish our lawn in under 10 minutes from Soup to Nuts. We have experienced the ruts you speak of. They have to move because think about how much they charge. It just makes sense.

I have been thinking about mowing our lawn but don't want to give my life because in the summer I don't think we could handle it.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:38 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

We used Deans when we bought our home and they destroyed our lawn with ruts, scalping, weak fertilizing, etc. so got rid of them and we do it ourselves. It takes 20 minutes to cut, edge, and trim our yard and about $175 per year in fertilizer, pesticides, weed control, and fungicide. Our lawn looks great and could not look any better, we get a little exercise doing it, when hot we cut in the morning if dry and if not we wait until early evening. I have been noticing a lot of owners have purchased self propelled battery powered mowers and they seem to be doing a pretty good job however we use a self-propelled gas mower as that is what we brought down from the north.
Closed Thread

Tags
lawn, lawns, mowing, worn, weeds

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.