Lawn Weeds Questions

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2022, 09:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,659 Times in 962 Posts
Default Lawn Weeds Questions

Just returned last week from 5 months up north. Generally the lawn looks pretty good, but I have an area where these weeds are taking up residence. St. Augustine grass, this area gets full sun, most of the day.

We have Bates doing our lawn fertilization and weed control. I called them today and they said my contracted service takes care of all weeds except "crabgrass"....
I was also told that service comes once every two months, and I am due this month for a service.

First question I have is do you think it's within the normal range of service expectations that even if I'm on schedule with my service, that these weeds can infest like this in between services?

2nd question, can you identify these weeds?

3rd question, any suggestions going forward besides waiting for Bates to do the next service and seeing what happens?

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	3791
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	95519   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	3559
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	95520   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	3638
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	95521  
Old 10-21-2022, 09:46 AM

I just had this same issue with the weeds you are showing in your photo. I used Spectracide Weed stop for lawns "with Atrazine". I bought it at Ace Hardware. Easy to use as you hook the spray bottle on your garden hose and apply. After application, do not water or mow for at least 5-7 days to let this product work its magic. NO MORE WEEDS, perfect. Do it now as it looks like no rain for several days.
Waiting for your lawn service company is like waiting for the government to take care of all your needs. I have found that most of these lawn service companies are in good at one thing, taking your money.

Last edited by mrf0151; 10-21-2022 at 09:50 AM. Reason: update
Old 10-21-2022, 09:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member

This site might help. Plant Identification - Apps on Google Play
For sure they are not all crab grass and I would say in a lawn they are weeds.
Old 10-21-2022, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrf0151 View Post
I just had this same issue with the weeds you are showing in your photo. I used Spectracide Weed stop for lawns "with Atrazine". I bought it at Ace Hardware. Easy to use as you hook the spray bottle on your garden hose and apply. After application, do not water or mow for at least 5-7 days to let this product work its magic. NO MORE WEEDS, perfect. Do it now as it looks like no rain for several days.
Waiting for your lawn service company is like waiting for the government to take care of all your needs. I have found that most of these lawn service companies are in good at one thing, taking your money.
Be sure to get the one that states it is for St Augustine/Centipede (if that is the grass you have) otherwise, you will be replacing ALL of your grass.
Old 10-21-2022, 02:40 PM

The third one is perslane.
Old 10-21-2022, 02:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

the middle photo is nutsedge
Sedges - University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences

The top one might be pusley. It would have six pointed star flowers
Pusley Control in Florida Turfgrass | Gardening in the Panhandle

Last edited by blueash; 10-21-2022 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-21-2022, 02:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,359 Times in 2,509 Posts

crabgrass-growing-lawn-h-jpg
Crabgrass.

Two of the three you show are not Crabgrass for sure.

PS. Just seen the photo for Nutsedge.

None of those photos is Crabgrass then!
Old 10-21-2022, 10:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

St Augustine grass is similar to crabgrass, we hate it but what can you do. If we find an issue with weeds or bugs we call Deans and they are there within 24 hours no matter when the next treatment is due. Weeds can grow fast.
Old 10-22-2022, 04:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,659 Times in 962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
St Augustine grass is similar to crabgrass, we hate it but what can you do. If we find an issue with weeds or bugs we call Deans and they are there within 24 hours no matter when the next treatment is due. Weeds can grow fast.
First of all, thanks to everyone for your helpful responses.
Specifically, for Gary, I take it you have been happy with Deans? We are not overwhelmed with Bates. When I called with my concern the response was "you are scheduled this month" and not "we'll send someone out right away". I suppose I could have been a bit more forceful, and probably should have been.

We bought the pre-owned home 2 years ago (come February), and the previous owner was using Bates so we just extended what she had. We use them for pest control around the perimeter (does not include termites) and lawn fertilization and weeds. Our yearly bill for both services is $516, and they come every two months.

And as I say, we have a nice weed patch in one area, so either that's normal, or the Bates treatment is not up to standards.
What services does Deans provide for you, and how does the cost and efficacy compare. BTW, we have a corner lot.
Old 10-22-2022, 05:09 AM
Veteran member

Laker.....I have Arrow ( formally Falcon) and used to have Bates. Bates did not cut it for me either, but Arrow is great and they also do the pest control around the house. I had them come back once to treat an especially bad area and they came the next day....no charge. Also, no contract
Old 10-22-2022, 05:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
Just returned last week from 5 months up north. Generally the lawn looks pretty good, but I have an area where these weeds are taking up residence. St. Augustine grass, this area gets full sun, most of the day.

We have Bates doing our lawn fertilization and weed control. I called them today and they said my contracted service takes care of all weeds except "crabgrass"....
I was also told that service comes once every two months, and I am due this month for a service.

First question I have is do you think it's within the normal range of service expectations that even if I'm on schedule with my service, that these weeds can infest like this in between services?

2nd question, can you identify these weeds?

3rd question, any suggestions going forward besides waiting for Bates to do the next service and seeing what happens?

Thanks,
Every 2 months is not enough mine does every 6 weeks and will come out if I have a problem. Most only spot treat and don’t spray the whole lawn so miss a lot of weeds in the lawn. I use Landsculpture for mowing, trimming shrubs, pest control, fertilizing lawn and shrubs. Trimming 4 times a year, pest control, weed control and fertilize lawn and shrubs every 6 weeks. They mow and edge the lawn every week for a $159 a month one guy to call to do it all.
Old 10-22-2022, 06:18 AM

Superior Pest Service 17 years as most of our neighbors on our cul de sac....no problems.
Old 10-22-2022, 06:25 AM
Default FertiGator treatments practically eliminated the weeds in our lawn

One can almost tell which lawn in our neighborhood is serviced by FertiGator- these lawns have fewer weed patches and the grass looks healthy and lush. No the cheapest company but you get what you pay for.
Old 10-22-2022, 06:28 AM
Default Tru Green

I use Tru-Green every other month service. Charges about $55 for each service and lawn looks great. In between I fertilize myself.
Old 10-22-2022, 07:29 AM

Have ours done by Massey. I contract annually because it is cheaper than “by the application or monthly”. I saw some of these weeds pop up. Gave them a call and they were here the next day. Their technician inspected the lawn and treated it right away. He also applied fertilizer as we were scheduled for that next week anyway.
Closed Thread

Tags
service, weeds, lawn, question, months

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.