Lawns Suffering

Closed Thread
Old 03-31-2021, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANT33 View Post
the Grass gets cut too short too often which ends up exposing the roots and sun burns them. Then lawns are over fertilized -again burns the roots. Landscapers just do this to keep work

So Sprinklers are key! Proper watering at night or early morning before the sun comes up is best. I grew up in Florida listening to pops talk about lawn care hope this helps lol.
I agree. The two lawns in my neighborhood that are green and lush look great and obviously are not cut every week like most homes. Just beautiful.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:09 PM
Platinum member
Unhappy

I've seen some comments before about St. Augustine. Is it not allowed south of 466A?
Also we had Superior service for 3 years. Our yard looks really bad now. The Superior guy said if we kept them he could get it looking great again. I said you've had 3 years and not looking very good. Now you're trying to tell me you can fix it? I said goodbye and don't come back.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:31 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,136 Times in 881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
It's beyond me why keeping a lawn is even a deed restriction at all when for many months of the year most lawns look like utter garbage. Astroturf would be an improvement.
Totally agree. I would much prefer good looking astro turf. Less toxic pesticides and water conservation.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
Why are some Lawns looking sick this year? Seems like many are having to put dirt and extra soil additives on the lawn.. The professional lawn service guy " thinks" it might be the frost but said he honestly didn't know. His exact words were, " I only spray for lawn bugs and drop fertilizer." He must be keeping the Trade Secrets to himself! Any ideas or suggestions...
A lawn? There is nothing natural about what we insist on doing. One plant only allowed.
Cut and edged into a carpet. We walk on it when it is wet compacting our clay soil.

My goal, a good enough lawn, not the worst not the best at the least cost with the least amount of work.

Part of my approach is to relax and not let it turn into a job.

So much for my goal. My reality. I suggest a note book. Last year I applied, this product at this time. Results were ................ Next year try............... Pictures can help.
Last year my lawn was much better. Hum, that is what I think, thought. The pictures show last year it was in fact better, worse, the same as this year?
Old 04-13-2021, 03:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDivine View Post
I've seen some comments before about St. Augustine. Is it not allowed south of 466A?
Also we had Superior service for 3 years. Our yard looks really bad now. The Superior guy said if we kept them he could get it looking great again. I said you've had 3 years and not looking very good. Now you're trying to tell me you can fix it? I said goodbye and don't come back.
Realize, if you approach a lawn service person they will not say, the person you are using does a better job and charges less than I will.

The two common types of grass in the villages are St Augustine and Empire Zoysia. There is no such thing as a perfect grass. Each has advantages and disadvantages.

As to why they do sections in one type of grass. If, you have or want St Augustine and your neighbor has or wants Empire Zoysia. Neither grass type will stop at your property line. The mowing people are supposed to wash off their equipment between jobs so that they do not spread different grasses, weeds, disease etc. None of them do. If, they did
people would object to them opening the hydrants and leaving mangled grass in the road.

I can be highly competitive. I have been so throughout my working career. i am retired.
Good enough is good enough for me.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,453 Times in 3,084 Posts

Re: mole crickets - these were nearly eradicated in Florida back in 2006. If you are truly being affected by mole crickets, you should get in touch with the DEP. Also, if you have any of THESE wasps near/at your house Larra bicolor - Wikipedia do NOT try to destroy them. They are the #1 enemy of mole crickets.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,354 Times in 2,508 Posts

Our lawn here in UK is looking a picture.
Mind you, it's not all easy going, a dandelion was found and removed last week!
Old 04-14-2021, 06:33 AM
Gold member

If you keep your empire zoysia cut to 2 inches, you will get greater rhizome growth and deeper roots. The lawn will look great all year with very little watering. Cutting at 4 inches just makes stolon growth that will go dormmate if yell BOO at it. It takes an entire year for the rhizome roots to go 8 inches into the soil/sand.
Closed Thread

Tags
lawn, lawns, secrets, honestly, exact

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.