Looking for Gardeners who compost.....

Closed Thread
Old 11-17-2019, 02:37 PM
Default Looking for Gardeners who compost.....

I couldn't think of a better place to start my quest to find someone or someplace in The Villages that composts vegetable scraps & waste. When I lived in Ohio all my vegetable scraps from cooking went to my garden compost pile to break down and enrich the soil. Now that we live in a Courtyard Villa (mostly stone & concrete) I no longer have need for composted soil. But it just kills me to waste all the scraps that could be used by someone else. Does anyone know of a community gardening area or area farm that would be able to use such? I'd be more than willing to save my vegetable trimmings in a covered 5-gallon container and deliver it to 'dump' in any approved area.

Anyone have any ideas?

(tonight I'm making braised leeks & kale and I have a bag full of waste that I'd save if I could just find someone willing to utilize)
Old 11-17-2019, 03:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethk View Post
I couldn't think of a better place to start my quest to find someone or someplace in The Villages that composts vegetable scraps & waste. When I lived in Ohio all my vegetable scraps from cooking went to my garden compost pile to break down and enrich the soil. Now that we live in a Courtyard Villa (mostly stone & concrete) I no longer have need for composted soil. But it just kills me to waste all the scraps that could be used by someone else. Does anyone know of a community gardening area or area farm that would be able to use such? I'd be more than willing to save my vegetable trimmings in a covered 5-gallon container and deliver it to 'dump' in any approved area.

Anyone have any ideas?

(tonight I'm making braised leeks & kale and I have a bag full of waste that I'd save if I could just find someone willing to utilize)

It is part good thing and bad thing to try to compost here. Critters, including rats are drawn to the the cast off veggies.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

It’d have to be someone who has a composter inside somewhere.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:09 PM

That's why I'm checking with our local cooking community in hopes someone knows of a farmer or someone who has a composting area ~ away from our zero lot line homes. I don't have a compost pile or barrel just for the reasons you mentioned. No way would I want to encourage critters to come to our yards to snack! It drives me nuts when some of our neighbors say they put out peanuts for the squirrels ~ they're RODENTS! Don't feed them!

But it would be wonderful to know there was someplace where the vegetable scraps could be composted to be used to amend the soil and grow a great vegetable garden.
Closed Thread

Tags
waste, scraps, area, vegetable, soil

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.