Looking for Landscape Design ONLY

Closed Thread
Old 08-13-2016, 04:10 PM
Default Looking for Landscape Design ONLY

I am looking for someone who can provide me with a landscape design that I can use to do most of the work myself. I want to remove the grass from the back of my house and put in "Florida Friendly" plants. I also want to expand some of my beds around my house. Any suggestions for someone honest and reasonable?
Old 08-13-2016, 04:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

Master Gardener may be able to help, they have monthly meetings at some of the rec centers. I have used them for advice on palms, lawn, and crepe Mertles, and they really like Florida friendly landscaping.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

I know there are landscape architects closer to Orlando. They are not inexpensive...I looked at doing the same thing. The concerns were liability if the plants they recommended died so they did have documents that covred their butts. We finally gave up on that route since we had no knowledge of Florida plants and trees, Pennsylvania yes, here no. So we contriacted with Dale Martin of Jireh Custome Landscaping who did the design and the installation. You might want to call him (615) 485-0225, maybe he will contract for design services. Or use the recommendation of villagetinker, the Master Gardners can help with plant information but don't think they do design.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 08-14-2016, 08:35 PM
Sage

I'd love to find a landscape designer and pay by the hour for a sketch on rehabbing our yard. Much of the landscape planted in Year 1 is overgrown and crowded in Year 5.
We need a do-over.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I know there are landscape architects closer to Orlando. They are not inexpensive...I looked at doing the same thing. The concerns were liability if the plants they recommended died so they did have documents that covred their butts. We finally gave up on that route since we had no knowledge of Florida plants and trees, Pennsylvania yes, here no. So we contriacted with Dale Martin of Jireh Custome Landscaping who did the design and the installation. You might want to call him (615) 485-0225, maybe he will contract for design services. Or use the recommendation of villagetinker, the Master Gardners can help with plant information but don't think they do design.
JoMar, is this the same Dale Martin that worked for Fairfield Farm and with the help of Village investors took Fairfields landscape crew and started his own company about 10 years ago? I remember a Dale Martin that then teamed up Tropic Scape and were doing a really big design in Bridgeport and the crane they rented caused a gas main leak. I heard because of no insurance the business folded and everyone left town. Is he back?
Old 08-15-2016, 03:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnGirl View Post
JoMar, is this the same Dale Martin that worked for Fairfield Farm and with the help of Village investors took Fairfields landscape crew and started his own company about 10 years ago? I remember a Dale Martin that then teamed up Tropic Scape and were doing a really big design in Bridgeport and the crane they rented caused a gas main leak. I heard because of no insurance the business folded and everyone left town. Is he back?
Dale ha been with Tomas Landscaping before leaving and starting this business. I have no idea what happened 10 years ago, only that what he did for us and others has been superb. We researched a lot of companies, talked to too many people who had work done by him and drove too many miles looking at his designs and work before we selected Tomas Landscaping. Maybe he just got tied of working for someone else or found an oppotunity but his new business seems to be doing well. Plus he has a great design location on 301 where you can see what his hardscapes look like. As I stated, don't know if he will do design only but I think it would be worth a call.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:25 PM

Been a LOT of landscape companies in TV started off the back of another company they were working for. You would be surprised to know that several 'reputable' companies began by stealing customers from their employers. By stealing.. I mean they give the customer a cheaper option to do a job they are there bidding for someone they work for. What they do, once they are on their own may seem to the layman as reputable and wonderful, but to the pro (and to the chagrin of many a resident) in the years to follow, is crap...most of these guys (and women) who started companies by stealing from their employers, are doing overpriced and sub-standard landscapes that need significant overhauls in only a year or 3.

If you really want to make sure you have a good designer, ask to see a home they designed and installed over 10, or even 15 years ago. 75% of the landscaping going on in TV is redoing landscapes installed 3-5 years ago. Real designers will give you a landscape that is still improving for ATLEAST 7 years. There are 3 good designers I know of in this area, and none were mentioned in this post, and yes, I have seen plenty of the work done by those mentioned. Their good stuff wouldn't even get a passing grade in a landscape design class.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
Been a LOT of landscape companies in TV started off the back of another company they were working for. You would be surprised to know that several 'reputable' companies began by stealing customers from their employers. By stealing.. I mean they give the customer a cheaper option to do a job they are there bidding for someone they work for. What they do, once they are on their own may seem to the layman as reputable and wonderful, but to the pro (and to the chagrin of many a resident) in the years to follow, is crap...most of these guys (and women) who started companies by stealing from their employers, are doing overpriced and sub-standard landscapes that need significant overhauls in only a year or 3.

If you really want to make sure you have a good designer, ask to see a home they designed and installed over 10, or even 15 years ago. 75% of the landscaping going on in TV is redoing landscapes installed 3-5 years ago. Real designers will give you a landscape that is still improving for ATLEAST 7 years. There are 3 good designers I know of in this area, and none were mentioned in this post, and yes, I have seen plenty of the work done by those mentioned. Their good stuff wouldn't even get a passing grade in a landscape design class.
So give the OP the names and contact information for those 3 good designers as the requested. We might all benefit from that information.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
So give the OP the names and contact information for those 3 good designers as the requested. We might all benefit from that information.
As I said, ask to see a home they did 10 years ago or more. Or 7, since that is the target for educated landscape design fruition. Ask about background BEYOND the house down the street. Hardscaping, building a patio? If their education doesn't go beyond the landscaper they used to work for before they stole a potential customer from them and started their own business...or they are a salesperson that has never touched a shovel... you might be about to get taken by one of these door knockers or even a seemingly 'well established' company that looks the look ,advertises heavily and sadly does not walk the walk.. Follow you gut and get LOTS of estimates.

PM me if you want to know my opinion on who is good and who isn't. Landscapers advertising on this site may not appreciate that, or might...
Closed Thread

Tags
landscape, design, house, put, friendly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.