Mansfield Nursery...never again!!!

Old 11-13-2021, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Mansfield Nursery...never again!!!

We had Steve Mansfield come out to do an estimate for a substantial re-do/upgrade of 17 year old landscaping.

In my 85 years I assumed I had met the most of many different characters in business.

UNTIL YESTERDAY!!

Most rude, impolite, self assuming, bombastic boar!!

No notes.
No measurements.
A for show scribble of a note on his hand.
Has your number written on his finger.
Does not want to hear that you are getting other quotes.
Once he gives you his outta the ballpark number, he continues to add to it with other details that come into his head.

Tells you to your face you have until he steps off your property to accept his offer....as he turns and walks to his truck.

I am struggling to remain polite.

I just read the TOTV posts about him from 2011.....most say the same as the above.

He is the owner and obviously doesn't care.

Steve is the classic vendor that is so busy he does not have to respect the customer.

This is the first time I have ever written any business up as my tolerance for rude and crude is pretty high (for many reasons).
There is no way to let this experience pass without fair warning to others. Yes he will have supporters....which I suspect are in the minority, but enough to do a good business.

Old 11-13-2021, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,671 Times in 5,225 Posts

I had the same experience 5 years ago.

Old 11-13-2021, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
We had Steve Mansfield come out to do an estimate for a substantial re-do/upgrade of 17 year old landscaping.

In my 85 years I assumed I had met the most of many different characters in business.

UNTIL YESTERDAY!!

No notes.
No measurements.
Once he gives you his outta the ballpark number, he continues to add to it with other details that come into his head.

Tells you to your face you have until he steps off your property to accept his offer....as he turns and walks to his truck.

I just read the TOTV posts about him from 2011.....most say the same as the above.

Steve is the classic vendor that is so busy he does not have to respect the customer.

This is the first time I have ever written any business up as my tolerance for rude and crude is pretty high (for many reasons).
There is no way to let this experience pass without fair warning to others. Yes he will have supporters....which I suspect are in the minority, but enough to do a good business.
thanks for sharing, what was the dollar amount of the quote?

Old 11-13-2021, 11:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

I had the exact same experience 4+ years ago with Mansfield, although over the phone

he basically told me to shut up as I was explaining to him what we were looking for...and when I let him know he was one of three businesses I wanted to quote, he told me to go use one of the others, he wasn't interested

biggest arrogant bully that I've ever come across....difficult to understand how that brand of 'salesmanship' stays afloat in this day and age

Old 11-13-2021, 11:51 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,769 Times in 3,637 Posts

You don't look 85.

Old 11-13-2021, 11:51 AM

Agree

My wife called him last year to ask for a quote. He demanded to speak with the man of the house. She politely said no thank you.

Old 11-13-2021, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I had the same experience 5 years ago.
I had the same experience with him...He went off the deep end ranting and raving.

Old 11-13-2021, 04:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

We went to his nursery with an idea of what we wanted. He bullied us into what HE wanted. We went home and decided we still wanted what we wanted. So we never contracted for the job. He called and left the nastiest accusatory message on our voicemail. I thought he was arrogant when we were there speaking to him in person; I thought he was beyond that from the message he left.
He actually threatened another member of this forum several years ago.

Old 11-13-2021, 05:57 PM
Thumbs down Mansfield Landscaping

Called this company and was told Steve would call and set up an estimate for my landscaping job. Steve called me three days later , what a obnoxious ass this guy is. I was so glad he showed his colors over the phone to me or things would have gone bad up close and personal. I researched landscaping companies on this forum and Mansfield landscaping got good reviews , how the hell is this possible ? Good luck if you use this company I feel for anyone that has to deal with this guy!!

Old 11-13-2021, 06:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
Called this company and was told Steve would call and set up an estimate for my landscaping job. Steve called me three days later , what a obnoxious ass this guy is. I was so glad he showed his colors over the phone to me or things would have gone bad up close and personal. I researched landscaping companies on this forum and Mansfield landscaping got good reviews , how the hell is this possible ? Good luck if you use this company I feel for anyone that has to deal with this guy!!
I may get an infraction for this because he is a paid vendor on TOTV, but we were told by him that if you gave him a good review on TOTV (specifically TOTV) he would give you a discount. Plus there was one specific poster who sang his praises no matter what anyone posted. This was a few years ago.

So the good reviews might be questionable.

Old 11-13-2021, 06:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,419 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
If you notice most of the reviews come from people with only one post. They're either shills or getting an incentive from him to leave a positive review.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!

Old 11-14-2021, 06:20 AM
Veteran member

A Thank you to all who posted. Will definitely stay away from this business. Is this the same fellow that brings plants to Brownwood??

Old 11-14-2021, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
We went to his nursery with an idea of what we wanted. He bullied us into what HE wanted. We went home and decided we still wanted what we wanted. So we never contracted for the job. He called and left the nastiest accusatory message on our voicemail. I thought he was arrogant when we were there speaking to him in person; I thought he was beyond that from the message he left.
He actually threatened another member of this forum several years ago.
I wonder then ... how is this set of reviews (below) even remotely possible? Somehow, no bad reviews end up on the BBB site. Is it that ... if you get past his arrogance and rudeness ... he does a good job? Are all these reviews from people who have a super high tolerance for rudeness and arrogance and hired him? I don't have an opinion ... just trying to make sense of these strangely diverse ratings. Has anyone here actually used him? Or are these all complaints by those put off by his rude personality and never actually hired him?

https://www.bbb.org/us/fl/yalaha/pro...stomer-reviews
And, I'm not wearing the damn mask.
Majority doesn't rule here. My body, my choice. Get over it.

Old 11-14-2021, 07:00 AM

We had a similar experience several years ago with his son-in-law. Refused to come out for an estimate.wanted us to come in and watch a PowerPoint presentation, which we wouldn’t do. He knew what we needed and it would be $15,000. We said we would get other quotes. He got mad. We called the owner because we thought he would want to know how we were treated. He was furious we called, screaming in the phone until he screamed “I’m a good f—ing person” and hung up the phone.
We ended up getting exactly what we wanted for $8,000!

Old 11-14-2021, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

UNTIL YESTERDAY!!

No notes.
No measurements.

Hmm sounds like an experience I had with Steve Munz of Galaxy back in 2012. I could tell he was likely the bully back in school. Came to my home to insult me after I rejected a bid for additional work after his people made several visits fixing wiring shorts under warranty. (They wired the house when constructed). I had gotten a bid for the same extra work from Lenhart that was HALF the amount and he didn't want to hear that. Stevie boy told me that I HAD to understand his high overhead and reputation. Huh? He was so bombastic I told him to get out of my house NOW! Thanks for the heads up. As a 30 year Disney Cast Member I have less than a zero tolerance for rude business people. Ron.

Tags
mansfield, number, steve, steps, care

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.