Mole Crickets - Need advise on how to eliminate

Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2015, 01:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member

There are some incorrect things in Post #14.

Bug B Gon, an Ortho product, would have been taken off the market long ago if the product did not work. I don't think it was available 25 years ago.

Zoysia grass was not used here in The Villages 25 years ago (the early 90s). The main grass in use then was a type of St. Augustine and possibly some bahia (many people call this cow pasture grass). There's a big difference between crab grass and any type of St. Augustine.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
There are some incorrect things in Post #14.

Bug B Gon, an Ortho product, would have been taken off the market long ago if the product did not work. I don't think it was available 25 years ago.

Zoysia grass was not used here in The Villages 25 years ago (the early 90s). The main grass in use then was a type of St. Augustine and possibly some bahia (many people call this cow pasture grass). There's a big difference between crab grass and any type of St. Augustine.
You mis quote me..as in past replies to other posts.

Never said Zoysia was used here 25 years ago, as it became the main sod used in TV during a rainy period preventing St Aug farms from cutting sod, around 10 years ago. Prior to that it wasn't used much south of the freeze line. Tallahasee north. (with good reason)

Yes, crab grass and St Aug are different, I was making a joke because many many many people have said to me.... oh nevermind, my time is more valuable than this.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
You mis quote me..as in past replies to other posts.

Never said Zoysia was used here 25 years ago, as it became the main sod used in TV during a rainy period preventing St Aug farms from cutting sod, around 10 years ago. Prior to that it wasn't used much south of the freeze line. Tallahasee north. (with good reason)

Yes, crab grass and St Aug are different, I was making a joke because many many many people have said to me.... oh nevermind, my time is more valuable than this.
If I misquolted you in previous posts, it was because you weren't clear regarding to what you were making reference.

If I misquoted you in this thread, it was because the OP has zoysia grass and that was what we were talking about.
Since you mentioned "the early 90s" and did not mention St. Augustine by name, it is a fair assumption for anyone to assume the type of grass was still zoysia.

You made a joke? Was it funny?
Old 03-15-2015, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
If I misquolted you in previous posts, it was because you weren't clear regarding to what you were making reference.

If I misquoted you in this thread, it was because the OP has zoysia grass and that was what we were talking about.
Since you mentioned "the early 90s" and did not mention St. Augustine by name, it is a fair assumption for anyone to assume the type of grass was still zoysia.

You made a joke? Was it funny?
With mole crickets, the VARIETY of grass does not make a difference as to how to control the pests. Only the recovery of the grass would be different.

Some people talk a lot and say very little. Others speak words with weight and meaning. You won't waste any more of my time on this subject.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:03 AM
Sage
Default Turn off outside lights!

Having been trained by The UF IFAS extension agent Jim Davis in the Master Gardener program, I always know what to do.....
That is, find out what the researchers at UF say...UF is reponsible for educating the entire state about issues related to agriculture. They receive grant funds to do research.

IPM-206/IN1021: Mole Cricket IPM Guide for Florida

Mole crickets fly at dusk for 1-2 hours during which they are attracted to light, especially ultraviolet and mercury-vapor lamps. To limit the incidence of mole crickets in turfgrass, lights should be turned off at a site during times of peak flight. Conversely, lights can be used to attract mole crickets for spot treatment with insecticides. If lights are necessary, yellow bulbs or filters can be used to minimize attraction of mole crickets.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&Lsunfun View Post
Stellar treated our problem, one application and they were gone and not returned in over a year. Buying products at the store isn't as strong and which one to buy and try. Ask a professional is my opinion. Act quickly before they make your yard their home.
You can buy the same products as (the professionals) use..also you can know it was applied at the correct rate.

Talstar is available here:

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/ta...ucts-c-40.html

The active ingredient in Talstar is Bifenthrin.

http://pestcontrol.domyownpestcontro...kets&view=grid

Exact same as Talstar Granules..

Bifen Granules, Bifenthrin granules, Bifen LP - Free Shipping
Old 03-16-2015, 02:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepingItReal View Post
You can buy the same products as (the professionals) use..also you can know it was applied at the correct rate.

Talstar is available here:

Talstar, Talstar One, Talstar Insecticide, Talstar Pest Control Products

The active ingredient in Talstar is Bifenthrin.

mole crickets - Do It Yourself Pest Control

Exact same as Talstar Granules..

Bifen Granules, Bifenthrin granules, Bifen LP - Free Shipping
Thank you for your post.

Since my previous posts on this thread, I have been educated. I didn't know currently, what the professional presticides were specifically, because I never had a need to know. Years ago in south Florida I used Bug B Gon and it worked because I never had a mole cricket problem of any great significance. If the OP's problem is really out of hand, he needs to use a stronger pesticide.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.