Mulch. What works and what doesn't?

Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2015, 03:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Wink IMO -- Who Else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
I think you should have prefaced your remarks with "in my opinion"
Jimbo -- Of course it's my opinion. Not for a minute would I give your opinion without giving you credit.

Isn't everything on this forum the poster's opinion unless they are quoting someone or something?

Is there a reason you singled me out from everyone else on this thread???
Old 02-15-2015, 06:57 AM
Sage

It's Internet etiquette to say IMO, you said it like it was a fact.

don't get touchy about it, sorry
Old 02-15-2015, 09:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
it's internet etiquette to say imo, you said it like it was a fact.

Don't get touchy about it, sorry
Another way to say it is IMHO. (In my humble opinion.)
Old 02-15-2015, 09:02 AM
Platinum member

The U of F Extension Service likes pine straw.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Another way, not shout with large font and BOLD.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:43 PM
Sage

Bonanza is the only regular poster doing that. IMHO or IMO it's annoying harder to read
Old 02-15-2015, 07:27 PM
Gold member

Pine straw is very good for acid loving plants like azaleas etc. Yes, it does hold the moisture somewhat also. Rocks look nice, but really do not give to the plants, food or nutrition. In the summer when real hot, rocks get very hot and really dry out plant roots faster. Desert plants are better to grow where you have rocks. Bark mulch does hold the water better, and when I'm planting a plant or bush, I put some bark mulch chips in bottom of hole (to hold the moisture) and it seems to work well. I'm sure the extension services, on Rt 466 can help you with your problems and direct you right. They are great people, and full of knowledge.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:58 PM
Sage

When we first did our landscaping we put in the bark chips and quickly found out that this for a poor choice for us. When it rained hard, the rain washed the bark away and into the grass and out on the road. We are in the process of changing it all to rocks. It works for us.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
It's Internet etiquette to say IMO, you said it like it was a fact.

don't get touchy about it, sorry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Another way, not shout with large font and BOLD.
Quote:
Bonanza is the only regular poster doing that. IMHO or IMO it's annoying harder to read
While it may be Internet etiquette to say or use IMO on a forum such as this, unless someone is quoting something, it is absolutely understood that whatever the poster is saying is their opinion. Sorry you misunderstood my comment, Jimbo, but I was not getting touchy; I was just curious. Personally, I find a bold font easier to read than the regular light font with the words and lines all squished together. I'll give consideration to changing.

Bogie -- I never use a large font. In addition, a large font is not an indication of shouting. According to Internet protocol, typing in solid caps is what indicates shouting.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

ok, my mistake.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:39 PM
Sage

toooo funny

Old 02-17-2015, 08:01 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaLarry View Post
Pine straw is very good for acid loving plants like azaleas etc. Yes, it does hold the moisture somewhat also. Rocks look nice, but really do not give to the plants, food or nutrition. In the summer when real hot, rocks get very hot and really dry out plant roots faster. Desert plants are better to grow where you have rocks. Bark mulch does hold the water better, and when I'm planting a plant or bush, I put some bark mulch chips in bottom of hole (to hold the moisture) and it seems to work well. I'm sure the extension services, on Rt 466 can help you with your problems and direct you right. They are great people, and full of knowledge.
Ahhh, my favorite online garden buddy! Thoughtful post!

In addition to being acid loving, Azaleas have shallow roots in general and fine, (almost) surface roots just under the soil. Some other plants do as well, like Camellias and Gardenias so having rock covering can indeed transfer heat- when in full sun. .... but these bloomers prefer shadier spots, anyway.
Leaving some empty space around the base of the plants when rock is applied is usually best.

I'd say if one wants to be able to change out plantings regularly, like having seasonal annual beds for example, pine straw IS the easiest way to go as the pine straw settles into a mat that can be carefully rolled back in large sections (I use a garden claw tool), then easily rolled into place again around the new plantings. Rolling it back also allows an easy go to apply top dressing of soil as well, like seasonally adding Black Kow, or a product like that.
I consider pine straw to be more a shade guard than a moisture enhancer over the bare soil.
Weeds will pop up, but are very easy to pluck when there is pine straw- again, it can be rolled back to apply pre-emergent weed granules (Preen) if needed.

One big downside is, pine straw can look dull and ragged pretty quick, but can be turned/ top dressed easily with new.
There are color sprays (online) that can revive the look as well, if anyone is interested.
Other wood-type mulches are fine too, but look better if revitalized occasionally.

I have used pine straw and ground cover plants in the past here. I use rock now (leaving space around the base of plants) and confine my seasonal plantings to pots rather than displays in the ground.
Weeds are going to pop up in the rock as well- and they will be harder to pluck, but for the landscape design I have now, it works the best.
I have recently landscaped with plants that do not drop leaves or shed. A must when using rock, in my opinion.

Last edited by Uptown Girl; 02-17-2015 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
ok, my mistake.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.