Myers Lemon Tree Care

Closed Thread
Old 06-29-2019, 10:16 AM
Default Myers Lemon Tree Care

I planted a Myers lemon tree last year and it produced about 3 lemons. This year,I had no blooms therefore no lemons. The tree looks healthy and has grown about 3 times its original size in a year but no fruit produced. I water it daily and fertilize it about once every 3 months. Can anyone give me some pointers on proper care in order that it will produce some fruit?
Old 06-29-2019, 10:54 AM
Veteran member

Make sure you are using citrus tree fertilizer. I also dissolve epsom salt in water and pour it on the base of the tree. About 1 cup per gallon. Make sure the tree is watered if it does not rain for few days. Good luck.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:58 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,749 Posts

Meyer Lemon Growing: Tips On Caring For A Meyer Lemon Tree

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-30-2019, 07:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts
Default Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABS1409 View Post
I planted a Myers lemon tree last year and it produced about 3 lemons. This year,I had no blooms therefore no lemons. The tree looks healthy and has grown about 3 times its original size in a year but no fruit produced. I water it daily and fertilize it about once every 3 months. Can anyone give me some pointers on proper care in order that it will produce some fruit?
You cannot redo stuff that has already been done. You state you planted it last year and got three lemons. Someone else posted a link with instructions. I do not have a lemon tree so do not speak form experience but, I will bet it says to remove the fruit the first year so your tree uses it's energy to root in. Did you do proper soil preparation? Did you plant the tree at the proper height? Does the tree need a cross pollinator and is there one close by? Did you break up the root ball so that your tree is forced to venture out of it's original ball of heavenly soil? It is not at all unusual for fruit trees to produce little or no fruit some years.

It may just need time.

ADDED-You stated it grew 3x it's original size. Not sure how to read that but, if it is planted in your lawn, it is likely getting too much nitrogen which will get you a lot of growth but little or no fruit.

Last edited by DAVES; 06-30-2019 at 07:56 AM. Reason: addition
Old 06-30-2019, 08:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABS1409 View Post
Sounds exactly like what out tree did. We now, for the second time, have a tree full of lemons. Didn't do much of anything except wait.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:53 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,749 Posts

My Meyer lemon tree is now over 25 years old. It currently produces 50 or more lemons over a bloom of a month or two, a few times a year. Some of the lemons are huge, the size of Valencia oranges. They are sweet and delicious. When I moved into this house in 1996 the tree was already in, pretty small and producing only a few lemons. Citrus should not be overwatered. I have grapefruit, orange, guava and avocado as well as the lemon tree. They are at the edge of my lawn, not in the grassed area and I water them much less than the grass. My gardener came from Mexico (legally) and he has taught me a little about how to care for citrus.

It is a lot of fun to enjoy eating fruit you grow yourself as well as gifting much if not most of it to friends. Give your tree two to five years to really start bearing lemons.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 06-30-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
tree, myers, lemons, produced, care

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.