Need bushes pulled out

Closed Thread
Old 05-18-2021, 12:19 PM
Default Need bushes pulled out

We just bought a courtyard villa with is in need of a lot of TLC outside. Overgrown bushes and bamboo needs to be removed. Does anyone have any recommendations of who might want to do this?
Old 05-18-2021, 12:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpatter View Post
We just bought a courtyard villa with is in need of a lot of TLC outside. Overgrown bushes and bamboo needs to be removed. Does anyone have any recommendations of who might want to do this?
Call the people who are now cutting your grass. See what their quote would be. Get three quotes. Be sure to watch your money, and be careful. Most landscapers are hardworking and honest and fair, but a few will take your money and run.
Old 05-18-2021, 04:25 PM
Platinum member

We wanted the holly bushes pulled out from behind our lanai and we were quoted $600 by a guy we use for our palms who is usually really reasonable with charge.
The problem is the irrigation system is now embedded in roots so I think we're going to cut them down as low as we can and plant other stuff around them to cover what's left.
Just a suggestion.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

If you’re young and strong enough and have few common hand tools holly bushes are pretty easy to remove. You cut off all the limbs leaving one to two foot trunk for leverage to remove the root bulb. Bamboo easy to remove but hard to kill cause the roots will pop up new growth.

Now scrap the rock around the base using garden tool or large screwdriver. With area about foot around the base you can now start working on roots. About 6 inch or so start cutting through roots using loppers or hand axe. ( unless you have irrigation drippers pop ups are at least 6 inch deep and you would be able to see pop ups. If not sure turn in you’re irrigation and look for them popping up. You need to know there location anyway make sure the don’t spring leak.)

Once you get roots around bush use you foot to push it over from all sides this loosen and expose the roots still holding bush, cut those if they don’t break.

Once the root bulb free use you’re garden hose to wash off all dirt stuck in root. This helps fill the hole back up and removes weight from bulb so it don’t make bag ( yard waste bag) heavy.

Usually takes about 1/2 hour to hour depending on how strong you are and how efficient. Tools you will need. Loppers (or hand axe) hand pruners or ( hand axe), shovel (pick Axe) good pair work gloves, and large screwdriver (or garden hand tool set). Yard waste bags.

I’ve removed about 30 hollies saving thousand or more with my common hand tools I brought with me. Back on my previous property on hails acre and half I would of just yanked them out with my pickup truck, threw them on burn pile. Yes, I was in the country and could burn yard waste.

Kind of long but if you have skills and few common tools not that hard. It you have none call someone.

Last edited by Topspinmo; 05-18-2021 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynan View Post
We wanted the holly bushes pulled out from behind our lanai and we were quoted $600 by a guy we use for our palms who is usually really reasonable with charge.
The problem is the irrigation system is now embedded in roots so I think we're going to cut them down as low as we can and plant other stuff around them to cover what's left.
Just a suggestion.
Unless the irrigation line embedded in root bulb it should be able to be removed, if it is eventually going to cause leak or break. Irrigation main lines are at least 6 to 10 inches deep. Contractor not going want take the time to remove root bulb with possibly damaging the irrigation line and be liable for it. You’re not going to get the out growing roots anyway, the will die and eventually rot away. Some jobs just have do yourself if you want it done IMO.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:36 PM
Veteran member

I was a do it yourself guy, I removed lots of shrubs in our CYV with a lot of sweat equity. Actually I had to purchase a chain saw to cut the roots because they were really rooted. Even at that it still cost me about $1600 to have a handyman remove the old wood chips and bring in river rock. The only reason I didn't remove the wood chips is there were too many and I didn't have a pick up truck or a place to dispose of them.
Old 05-18-2021, 06:01 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

Still anxiously awaiting someone to answer OPs question. His . her question clearly implies he wants someone other than himself to do the work . I'm in that same boat. Don;t need to hear how easy it is to do it yourself
Old 05-18-2021, 07:14 PM

Keep your eyes peeled for workers in your neighborhood. Landcapers and tree crews. They are not going to beat down your door. Seek and you shall find.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuemkt View Post
Still anxiously awaiting someone to answer OPs question. His . her question clearly implies he wants someone other than himself to do the work . I'm in that same boat. Don;t need to hear how easy it is to do it yourself
Sorry, but don’t control who posts, if don’t want to hear it don’t read it.

Search feature might help, I sure hundred posts on subject under landscaping.
Old 05-19-2021, 05:12 AM

After you check for irrigation lines, just dig a little tunnel under the edge of the bush deep and long enough to get your scissors Jack from your car on the edge of the plant on an angle. Then it up with your power drill. Once it tips a little you can remove a little more dirt to get the Jack further under the plant, once you get far enough under the plant, trust me it will come out!!!
Old 05-19-2021, 05:25 AM
Post Removal of shrubs call Jeff at J&J Services 352-702-6376.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpatter View Post
Removal of shrubs call Jeff at J&J Services 352-702-6376. He's been doing quite a bit of this lately and will be fair on the price.
Old 05-19-2021, 05:25 AM
Default Shrub removal

I use Choice Maintenance....they are reasonable , professional and reliable.
Old 05-19-2021, 05:47 AM
Default Trimming of Trees & Bushes (Landscape Trimming & Removal)

Call Rupert Cross at 352-406-8814. He will take care of your trimming & removal needs at a very affordable price.
Old 05-19-2021, 05:49 AM
Default Shrub removal and lawn care

Do not use Nathan Stafford. DO NOT. I hired him to do some yard work and he just took the money and ran. Before you hire anyone, call Seniors vs Crime and make sure the person or business have no claims against them. I am still in need of a lawn person.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:05 AM
Default Do not use turf worx!!

Thief who will take your money and not complete the job. NEVER pay up front! and do not ever consider hiring Turf Worx out of Ocala.
Closed Thread

Tags
bushes, recommendations, bamboo, removed, overgrown

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.