Need help with our lawn

Closed Thread
Old 01-24-2019, 02:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts
Default Need help with our lawn

I am reaching out to see if anyone knows what we can do to get our lawn back. About two and a half years ago we had a very large magnolia tree removed from our front yard (yes, we got ARC approval) and had the stump ground. Our lawn actually improved significantly after the tree removal as it got much more sunlight (our lawn is Floratam, a type of St. Augustine grass). Starting last summer our front lawn began to die, and now it is almost totally dead. Last fall, our front lawn was nothing but dead grass and fungus (mushroom) growth. We have a very reputable lawn company that has tried everything to no avail. They tell us the magnolia roots are rotting below the surface and nothing can be done until the roots are completely decomposed. In the mean time we are embarrassed by our lawn as we take great pride in maintaining our property. I have no idea how long it will take for the roots to fully decompose or if the grass will ever grow back. Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

I recommend going to the annex at 466 and Morse and talking to the people there who can really help answer your questions about your lawn. They are only there a limited number of days per month, so call the number in the link below for the annex schedule.

Sumter County - UF/IFAS Extension
Old 01-24-2019, 06:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
I recommend going to the annex at 466 and Morse and talking to the people there who can really help answer your questions about your lawn. They are only there a limited number of days per month, so call the number in the link below for the annex schedule.

Sumter County - UF/IFAS Extension
Thanks for the information, I will contact them.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:37 PM
Default Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Thanks for the information, I will contact them.
Your post is dated 1/24. It is normal for your lawn to do dormant in our,"winter."

The cooler weather will also slow down fungus and insect problems
as well as your lawn healing from previous damage.

Far as seeking advice from the cooperative extension now is a good time to do that. A good idea would be fore you to remove a few sq foot of sod at the boarder between what is good and what is bad and take it with you to the cooperative extension. Looking at it will allow then to better tell you what is wrong. After inspection, you can simply replant the sod you removed.

Far as mushrooms. Mushrooms live on dead vegetable matter. They can be living on the rotting roots or even organic soil or fertilizer. In any case they do not cause damage. They only last for a day or two. If, they bother you you can pick them and throw them away.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

No expertise. If the roots are the problem maybe using a garden rototiller will break them up and spread then out "evenly" over the soil and bring some to the surface so you can pick them up. Them maybe some good top soil and replant.
On a more practical basis I think you want to find someone to test a few soil samples and see if you have some chemicals in the ground that are giving you a problem. The state ag dept maybe able to help.
Closed Thread

Tags
lawn, grass, front, roots, tree

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.