Need to move a BIG Staghorn Fern

Need to move a BIG Staghorn Fern

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Need to move a BIG Staghorn Fern
  #1  
Old 05-17-2019, 11:52 AM
wlukas@verizon.net wlukas@verizon.net is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post Need to move a BIG Staghorn Fern

My Large Staghorn Fern fell off the tree it was attached to when they were cutting just above it. I need to have it remounted on a different tree in the yard. It is BIG and heavy.
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 05-17-2019, 02:13 PM
jebartle's Avatar
jebartle jebartle is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: LaZamora Village
Posts: 3,701
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wow, you may want to insure it while your at it. Noticed one whopper at local nursery, price tag, $2000
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #3  
Old 05-17-2019, 02:22 PM
Midnight Cowgirl Midnight Cowgirl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 405
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlukas@verizon.net View Post
My Large Staghorn Fern fell off the tree it was attached to when they were cutting just above it. I need to have it remounted on a different tree in the yard. It is BIG and heavy.

If the plant is too big and heavy to move easily, you might consider cutting one or part of the pups off to relocate on another tree or in a basket. Then you will have a few plants to hang /attach elsewhere.

If you do that just make sure you sterilize whatever instrument you use when you cut.
Reply With Quote
Suggestion
  #4  
Old 05-17-2019, 05:41 PM
DAVES DAVES is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 121
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Suggestion

Like most things you will find information readily available on the internet. I make it a habit of finding several sources to see what agrees what doesn't and perhaps a solution to the problem that others would not have thought of.

First of all there are several different varieties. The roots as you have noticed unfortunately are minimal and can be caused to rot. What I read says you should not run nails through the plant to secure it.

Seems you need to build a wooden frame and nail the frame to the tree. I would use stainless steel nails as brass will surely kill the tree and plain steel nails will quickly rust out. For the frame, I would use cedar rather than pressure treat.

The plant may have fallen due to root rot or simply an impact when you had work done on the tree.

GOOD LUCK WITH IT.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-17-2019, 08:01 PM
Midnight Cowgirl Midnight Cowgirl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 405
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
Like most things you will find information readily available on the internet. I make it a habit of finding several sources to see what agrees what doesn't and perhaps a solution to the problem that others would not have thought of.

First of all there are several different varieties. The roots as you have noticed unfortunately are minimal and can be caused to rot. What I read says you should not run nails through the plant to secure it.

Seems you need to build a wooden frame and nail the frame to the tree. I would use stainless steel nails as brass will surely kill the tree and plain steel nails will quickly rust out. For the frame, I would use cedar rather than pressure treat.

The plant may have fallen due to root rot or simply an impact when you had work done on the tree.

GOOD LUCK WITH IT.
Regardless of the variety of staghorn (Platycerium) you have, and there are far more varieties than just a few, and they are all propagated and "planted" the same way. In nature, you will mostly see them growing attached directly to a tree.

They do not necessarily have to be attached to a board. You can attach the plant directly to the tree itself. Between the tree and the plant, you should use peat or sphagnum moss to help keep the plant moist and over time, that will help the plant attach more quickly.

You need to tie the plant securely to the tree to hold it, but do not use string or anything that will cut into the plant. You can even use strips cut from a plastic bag or the green stretchable tape-type roll you can find in garden centers. Just make sure the plant is well secured to the tree and check it often.

If you choose to plant in a basket, buy a basket with a coconut coir liner. Fill the basket with sphagnum moss, place the plant on top and it will pretty much take care of itself.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-19-2019, 01:17 PM
wlukas@verizon.net wlukas@verizon.net is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thank you all for your advice.
This Fern is a giant, about 2 to 3 feet in height and was 90% wrapped around a 12" diameter tree trunk. My problem is that I'm trying to find a service that can help remount it on another tree. I have had no luck finding anyone. They are either too busy or just don't return calls. I'm going to call the University Of Florida Gardening Solutions County Extension on Monday morning.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-19-2019, 06:42 PM
Midnight Cowgirl Midnight Cowgirl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 405
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlukas@verizon.net View Post
Thank you all for your advice.
This Fern is a giant, about 2 to 3 feet in height and was 90% wrapped around a 12" diameter tree trunk. My problem is that I'm trying to find a service that can help remount it on another tree. I have had no luck finding anyone. They are either too busy or just don't return calls. I'm going to call the University Of Florida Gardening Solutions County Extension on Monday morning.

Won't the company that trimmed your tree help you out?

Do you know what variety your platycerium is? My guess would be a bifurcatum which is the most common variety, but whatever it is must be a beauty. Now that the weather is getting warmer, don't let it dry out.

When you finally get it situated, please post a photo, and please -- let us know how you make out with having it rehung.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-20-2019, 10:26 AM
wlukas@verizon.net wlukas@verizon.net is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Here is a pic of the fern 20150514_104112-jpg
Reply With Quote
Wow !!!
  #9  
Old 05-20-2019, 03:21 PM
Midnight Cowgirl Midnight Cowgirl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 405
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking Wow !!!

OMG -- It's a beauty and I know, weighs a ton!

It's also worth a lot of money.

I hope you've found someone who knows how to move and re-situate it securely. It's a big and no easy-task job!

Please keep us posted as to how you make out.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-27-2019, 09:31 PM
Ozzello Ozzello is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 295
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I can do it. PM me your phone number if you still need this done.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tree, fern, staghorn, big, remounted
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 AM.