» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Need someone to fix waterfall
Old 07-09-2017, 08:00 AM

Default Need someone to fix waterfall

Hi
I've got one of those waterfalls that tops itself up when necessary. Trouble is my irrigation use went from 5k gal. June last year to 20k last month - I was away and didn't catch it.
I've stopped by 3 nurseries and nobody fixes. One guy tried to explain fix on phone (he's on holiday in Arizona until September) and said its likely the flapper's not flapping! He said it should be easy fix but nothing looks like the diagrams I've looked at online. I've located the motor which is working and flapper which has rust on end so needs new but I've no idea where the water for the self-fill comes from - think I have permanent brain freeze. Does anyone know of an inexpensive fountain fixer? - or how to turn it all off without turning off the lawn irrigation? I can live without the fountain but the water bill is huge and so is the amount of water I'm wasting. Hoping to hear from anyone who has fountain knowledge or who knows a fix-it guy! Many thanks.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:19 AM
Sage

These folks may be able to help.
Ponds, Waterfalls, Koi, Water Features, Ocala, The Villages, Gainesville, Tampa, Jacksonville, Orlando
Old 07-09-2017, 03:27 PM
Sage

There should be a valve near the base of your fountain, look for a door or removable panel. If not try unplugging the fountain, if you are lucky, this will close the valve, most valves require power to open. Look at your irrigation water meter before and after to see if you stopped the flow. The worst case situation would be that you would need to locate and dig down to the water line, cut it and install a valve. NOTE: you would need to turn off the water at the meter to do this.
Hope this helps.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:37 PM
Gold member

Assuming when you turn off your sprinkler system the problem is solved.
The sprinkler system will have a hose carrying the water to the area of your sprinklers.
Smaller hoses will feed your sprinklers and I assume your fountain.
If the fountain is in the flower beds your hoses are probably within an inch of the surface. Go around the fountain looking for the rubber hose. See if it is leaking at either end.
If you are not sure it is the fountain turn off your various zones and test for a leak.
If the leak is in the grass area it could be a plastic pipe that could be a foot under the ground. These fail and need to be replaced. (say a foot or two not the whole pipe). Look for a sponge area in your grass that could be from a leak.

For now you could turn off the zone that has the leak.

Your water meter might be digital and you can look at it to see as little as 1/10 a gallon of water moving. Using the meter and running the various zones may help you find the problem zone. Note you may need to shine a flashlight on the meter. It is probably powered by light.

Assuming the fountain uses electric turn off the electric and see if you still have the problem. Manually fill the top so it would not ask for water.

Tags
fix, water, fountain, guy, irrigation