Need Sylvester Palm seeds removed

Closed Thread
Old 01-26-2019, 10:49 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,280 Times in 1,426 Posts
Default Need Sylvester Palm seeds removed

I need someone that is experienced in removing the seed pods from two Sylvester Palms that I have. I don't want the tree damaged and that is why I'm asking for referrals to someone that knows what they are doing. Any replies would be appreciated.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I need someone that is experienced in removing the seed pods from two Sylvester Palms that I have. I don't want the tree damaged and that is why I'm asking for referrals to someone that knows what they are doing. Any replies would be appreciated.
I would like the info also . My seed pods are so high, I believe a bucket lift is needed . Any one out there?
Old 01-26-2019, 06:57 PM
fw102807

We use Reese Cason who also planted our Sylvester. He is listed in the contractors section.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:54 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,297 Times in 535 Posts
Default Diamond cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
We use Reese Cason who also planted our Sylvester. He is listed in the contractors section.
Does he diamond cut a Sylvester?
Old 01-27-2019, 07:09 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Does he diamond cut a Sylvester?
Yes. Everyone comments on how beautiful it is. He helped us pick it out when we lost a different palm.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:42 AM

I wouldn't trust ANY 'tree guy' in my Sylvester trying to remove seed pods , except Preston Wise at Wise's Tree Service. And ONLY if the seed pods are old.

I hope you are cleaning out the old brown spent seed pods. Cutting out green pods prior to seeding out is a VERY bad idea. I see more damaged and dead palms in TV due to early seed pod removal than any other problem , except poor installation practices.
Most (or all) of the established queens people say died of cold damage are actually dying of years of early pod removal, or heart damage by someone doing early seed pod removal. Havent had a winter around here since the 1980s that could kill a queen palm, and that only killed around 3%.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts
Default University of Florida

Pruning Palms - Gardening Solutions - University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences

Palm Tree Fruit Removal
In addition to periodic pruning, you may want to remove the fruit stalks from certain palm trees to keep them safe and prevent future problems.
Queen palms fruit abundantly and can create a mess when the fruits fall on sidewalks or driveways. If left alone, the seeds may germinate and create a weed problem. Coconut palms produce heavy fruits that can pose a hazard to people or vehicles below.
In these situations, you can remove the fruits or even the flowering stalks on an as-needed basis. It won't harm the tree and will prevent future issues. Never remove any green leaves, since doing so can damage the tree. If you're not able to do the job yourself, remember that you can always hire a certified arborist.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:23 AM

Sorry Bogie, I don't see a name from UF so I can talk to the proper person on this subject.

Was this a post from an actual palm tree expert that teaches and has a doctorate on palms? Or from the Master gardening club ? Funny how cut and paste never has a bibliography. I do remember 'experts' in the 50s and 60s saying you could smoke while you were pregnant.

The post is somewhat true, but a little misleading to those of you removing very young emerging seed pods over and over ...and over, killing your trees.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
Sorry Bogie, I don't see a name from UF so I can talk to the proper person on this subject.

Was this a post from an actual palm tree expert that teaches and has a doctorate on palms? Or from the Master gardening club ? Funny how cut and paste never has a bibliography. I do remember 'experts' in the 50s and 60s saying you could smoke while you were pregnant.

The post is somewhat true, but a little misleading to those of you removing very young emerging seed pods over and over ...and over, killing your trees.
sumter@ifas.ufl.edu
352-569-6862
Old 02-21-2019, 07:35 AM

Just went to the site you posted from ...the UF gardening helper on pruning . This is a quick reference for the garden club, not anything they are teaching students who are learning horticulture.

Realize that everything in the post can be true , or false depending on the age and species of palm you are dealing with. There is SO much more information the person should know that is pruning your palm or advising you on when and how to prune your palms.
1 quick reference page off the internet compared to an actual expert speaking on the subject? I will go with the expert.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
(the web site link was provided so you could get to the experts)
Was this a post from an actual palm tree expert that teaches and has a doctorate on palms? Or from the Master gardening club ? Funny how cut and paste never has a bibliography. I do remember 'experts' in the 50s and 60s saying you could smoke while you were pregnant. (If you had used the link provided you would know) ( was just not cutting & pasting, and not from the Master Gardening Club)

Just providing information...……………….
Old 02-21-2019, 11:11 AM

Thank you for the link, my next post responded to that. As an expert having studied and worked in this field for over 3 decades, I do get a little tired of spending so many hours battling wide spread misinformation, no matter how well intentioned... too often about palms. Too many facts are taken out of context and applied in the wrong way to the wrong trees. The most common and destructive thing to established trees being the early removal of seed pods on queen palms.

A few of the other things I find being spread as truth that are completely wrong :
Hurricane cuts..
Truth: Certain species at certain times this IS a needed or beneficial practice.
Queens freeze and die in this zone..
Truth: Only very young small queens would die in our zones, sometimes.
Add Epsom Salts.
Truth: Only with Manganese as well. Magnesium alone will cause deficiencies of other nutrients in the long run.
Palm rats,
Seriously? Hard to fathom some people hate palm trees SO MUCH they have coined a new non existing species to convince people not to plant them.

UF and the County extensions have always been wonderful and informative even before the internet I subscribed to monthly mail outs they used to have. But remember there are many very different species with many different locations and SO many issues that can seem similar yet the causes are completely different.
Sometimes the quick reference is exactly what you needed to know and will fix your problem. Sometimes the 'expert' is that doctor back in the 60s saying it is fine to smoke cigs when you are pregnant. I am sure some of them even thought they were right.

Last edited by Ozzello; 02-21-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
sylvester, referrals, appreciated, replies, removing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.