No grass all rocks?

Closed Thread
Old 02-17-2017, 09:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
We have replaced our grass with Asian jasmine. No longer need green-up or weed-control and have reduced irrigation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
We have all rock beds and have a one foot diameter clear spot for plants and bigger for trees. The roots need to breathe and it also keeps the roots cooler.
AF, if you have any pictures of the Asian Jasmine, I'd like to see them; (and also BTK's rock beds.)
Old 02-17-2017, 10:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
AF, if you have any pictures of the Asian Jasmine, I'd like to see them; (and also BTK's rock beds.)
Asian Jasmine is used extensively by The Villages and can be seen around trees along many MMPs. It is dark green and grows to around 6" high.

Photo is of our planting (eleven months ago) and original plants have filled in most of the area. Dead leaves are more prominent at this time of the year, and with the plants still being less than full height.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Jasmine.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	66087  
Old 02-17-2017, 10:56 AM
Sage

You will need to go through the Architectural Review to have it approved. I think I've read somewhere where it's no longer accepted.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Asian Jasmine is used extensively by The Villages and can be seen around trees along many MMPs. It is dark green and grows to around 6" high.
Photo is of our planting (eleven months ago) and original plants have filled in most of the area. Dead leaves are more prominent at this time of the year, and with the plants still being less than full height.
AF, I'm fascinated. Please tell us more.
Do you live in a Courtyard Villa?
Do you have Asian Jasmine front and back?
Did you need approval from the ARC?
Old 02-17-2017, 03:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
AF, I'm fascinated. Please tell us more.
Do you live in a Courtyard Villa?
Do you have Asian Jasmine front and back?
Did you need approval from the ARC?
We live in a "normal" house, not a villa. The grass out front was patchy year-round, despite our having a regular gardener and using Massey green-up (probably because a lot of it was under a large tree) so, since we don't like the idea of putting chemicals into the water table anyway, we applied to the ARV to replace it with ground cover. The lady we spoke to in Lake Sumter was very enthusiastic and it was approved with no alteration to our original plan. In addition to Asian Jasmine there are a number of other Florida-friendly plants that can be used. If you want to attract rabbits, try mixing in some perennial peanut :-)
Old 02-18-2017, 12:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
We live in a "normal" house, not a villa. The grass out front was patchy year-round, despite our having a regular gardener and using Massey green-up (probably because a lot of it was under a large tree) so, since we don't like the idea of putting chemicals into the water table anyway, we applied to the ARV to replace it with ground cover. The lady we spoke to in Lake Sumter was very enthusiastic and it was approved with no alteration to our original plan. In addition to Asian Jasmine there are a number of other Florida-friendly plants that can be used. If you want to attract rabbits, try mixing in some perennial peanut :-)
Very interesting. Just two more questions and then I'll stop asking.
Do you have any grass at all in your front yard or is it entirely planted with Asian Jasmine?
Have your neighbors had a positive response?
Old 02-18-2017, 12:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Do you have any grass at all in your front yard or is it entirely planted with Asian Jasmine?
Have your neighbors had a positive response?
We replaced all of the grass with Asian Jasmine in a ten-foot strip alongside the road. Behind that we have two beds, largely planted with long grasses.

We discussed with our neighbors ahead of time and they have been very supportive of it.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Just cause you have all rock in villa don't mean low maintenance IMO . What ever bushes you plant the leaves and twigs eventually drop into the rock. My suggestion is don't plant bushes that drop a lot of leaves or require a lot of trimming. Why you ask? I see landscapers take hours trimming and trying to blow the leaves/debris in pile to gather them up (cause the owner don't want to see twig laying out there. if I was landscaper I would charge more for rock yards than grass) (I don't know what they charge cause I still young enough to do my own yard). So, your neighbors have listen to the blowers and trimmers that the mufflers have been gutted that are twice as loud. Grass on the other hand landscapers are their about 15 min. and gone. I thought I was getting low maintenance with rock and bushes. WRONG I'll take grass any day or rock with very few bushes. Also even if you have rock weeds will work their way up and you have to deal with them, I will Amit not as hard job as grass, but pulling or roundup every month or two.
Closed Thread

Tags
bushes, rocks, grass, vast, ideas

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.