No Palm Allowed?

Closed Thread
Old 06-13-2022, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
So we all understand what’s going on in your case, did you submit an ARC application before making any changes?
It probably wouldn’t make a difference if he had gotten permission from the board. They get one complaint from one busybody and BOOM you loose….
Old 06-13-2022, 07:35 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,051 Times in 523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Please cite your source for the “wounded vet who can’t safely get out of his car”, who needs a “dispensation”. Just curious.
Well, it won't let me post the URL for the online news source. I'll try sending you a private message. Well that didn't work either. Go to the online news source and hit the magnifying glass and put this in. patio-villa-owners-face-prospect-of-ripping-up-out-of-compliance-driveways/

Last edited by airstreamingypsy; 06-13-2022 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-13-2022, 07:49 AM

Isn’t it odd how the AOC works, we have a Canadian (gone back north) here who cut down a palm down and left the stump, talked to AOC three times before they did anything, still waiting for it to be removed.
Old 06-13-2022, 08:45 AM
Veteran member

Rules for thee not for me.
Old 06-13-2022, 09:57 AM
Default Perfect response, you nailed it............

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
I appreciate the feelings you have but think you should step back and cool down and think it through.

Setbacks are there for a reason and non compliance by others is not a license to do the same.

Like you, I wanted Palm Trees in my new yard 14 years ago. (I am from the north). The image was great at the time. That 12' frond umbrella didn't stop at 12'. Mine is now over 20' and some around here are larger yet. Palm trees are extremely messy and require maintenance, a lot of maintenance. Frond removal, seed pod removal, diamond cuts on removed fronds etc. Perhaps do it yourself for a while with loppers, handsaws, stepladder, extended saws, and then 24 foot extended saws, extension ladders, chainsaws, and did I mention a lot of Band-Aids. At some point as the tree grows older as you also will, you need to hire someone to maintain at $100 per tree perhaps twice a year or pay to have the monster removed along with the stump for $350 or so. I paid to get rid of two Palms that grew so large that they infringed with the roof. Some neighbors found that their Palms became a thruway for Palm Rats to gain easy access to their attics. And bees love the ripening seeds coming out of the seed pods .

I wish some "jerk" had ratted on me. Palm trees belong on beaches or byways for you to view. Enjoy the sight of your neighbors trees which can be seen from your house. After all, you really can't enjoy the sight of yours because they are blocking your windows. When you are outside looking at them, you are looking up and noticing the brown fronds that need to be trimmed. Put Sylvester in the back yard or somewhere you can view from afar. You will save a lot of money.

Buy the "jerk" a Mai Tai.
You nailed it. I have been here for many years and my experience has been exactly as you so well state.
Old 06-13-2022, 10:25 AM

ARC performs a very important function. My firsthand experience was that the members are very kniwledgeable of the restrictions. Their approvals are based upon those restructions. Who actually has the time and legal expertise to read through their 30+ page restrictions. Of course their approval can have limitations but they are reviewing 100s of applications a week. Of course mistakes can be made particularly if not all the information is submitted with the application. I urge that everyone just sit in on one of their 4 hour meetings for just a half hour.
Old 06-13-2022, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
I spent several years wintering here before I bought our home in TV. A major selling point for my wife and I, was the beautiful palms so many people had as part of the landscaping.

Even when purchasing our new home, the salesman assured me, that though I can't get that palm in my front yard, I could replace the ugly tree there with a palm after I closed, as so many other residents have . It seemed obvious the way it was done here.

Now, the AOC tells me I have to remove that palm I waited so long, and paid so much for.

Why? Because someone complained.

Special easement? No. But everyone , yes EVERYONE on my street has a palm in this same location?
Well, no one complained about them. "So , it isn't a problem big enough to do anything about, unless someone complains?" That is how complaint driven works.

This is where I started driving around, looking at how many homes were out of compliance. There are MORE OUT of compliance than IN!! Yep, I just got lucky and had this jerk down the street that doesn't have anything better to do, than police ME.. Why not the house RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET FROM ME???

How far from the street do I need to move this tree? Not inside 15.5' ..... and if I put the lovely landscape wall around the tree at a healthy distance, the wall must be 16.5' from our little side street curb, moving the tree to 21'. the sylvester has a 12' frond spanning back 14' from the required setback and would now touch my house.

I guess the big screwing came from the sales team. Anyone want to buy a house.. with no palm tree, and a real jerk living a couple doors down with nothing better to do than stick his nose in your business?
Here’s what you do: Ask every neighbor in your area (via a short letter) and including the neighbor who turned you in, to sign their name and address that having you add a palm tree in your front area is fine with them. Then your nasty neighbor will at least have to face you in person.
Old 06-13-2022, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp243 View Post
Here’s what you do: Ask every neighbor in your area (via a short letter) and including the neighbor who turned you in, to sign their name and address that having you add a palm tree in your front area is fine with them. Then your nasty neighbor will at least have to face you in person.
What if more than one person refuses to sign? Or what if everyone refuses to sign. Your premise is that only one person dislikes the palm tree. Maybe everyone dislikes it but only one person disliked it enough to complain. Where there is one there are usually more.

Last edited by RVJim; 06-13-2022 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-13-2022, 08:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
I spent several years wintering here before I bought our home in TV. A major selling point for my wife and I, was the beautiful palms so many people had as part of the landscaping.

Even when purchasing our new home, the salesman assured me, that though I can't get that palm in my front yard, I could replace the ugly tree there with a palm after I closed, as so many other residents have . It seemed obvious the way it was done here.

Now, the AOC tells me I have to remove that palm I waited so long, and paid so much for.

Why? Because someone complained.

Special easement? No. But everyone , yes EVERYONE on my street has a palm in this same location?
Well, no one complained about them. "So , it isn't a problem big enough to do anything about, unless someone complains?" That is how complaint driven works.

This is where I started driving around, looking at how many homes were out of compliance. There are MORE OUT of compliance than IN!! Yep, I just got lucky and had this jerk down the street that doesn't have anything better to do, than police ME.. Why not the house RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET FROM ME???

How far from the street do I need to move this tree? Not inside 15.5' ..... and if I put the lovely landscape wall around the tree at a healthy distance, the wall must be 16.5' from our little side street curb, moving the tree to 21'. the sylvester has a 12' frond spanning back 14' from the required setback and would now touch my house.

I guess the big screwing came from the sales team. Anyone want to buy a house.. with no palm tree, and a real jerk living a couple doors down with nothing better to do than stick his nose in your business?
As far as your palm and who reported you. We always get one side of every story and it always says the poster is right. It seems the AOC has told you WHY.

There are plusses and minuses to our congested life style. You rights end where the next persons rights begin.

There is some truth in this. Before buying in the villages I became aware of an island of several acres with a house and a small herd of horses on it. Price was a million bucks.
I WOULD BE KING OF MY ISLAND. The QUEEN VETOED THE IDEA. The AOC has an often difficult job to do. Neighbors calling each other jerks never leads to a happy ending.
Closed Thread

Tags
palm, tree, street, wall, house

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.