Offensive smell from irrigation water

Closed Thread
Old 07-07-2020, 05:09 PM
Michael Charles
Default Offensive smell from irrigation water

We just had some landscaping work done and need to water 2 times a day for a while. I noticed the 2nd time if day (late afternoons) there is a nasty smell from the irrigation water. Not sure if that's normal because the program for the normal schedule is at 5 a.m. and I've never been outside at that time if say to notice if it smells.

Now, before any of you wisenheimers tell me to just get up early and check, I'm not going to get up at 5 a.m. to check for smells, I'd rather sit here now writing this to ask you extremely exceptionally knowledgeable folks here.

Thanks
Old 07-07-2020, 05:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Charles View Post
We just had some landscaping work done and need to water 2 times a day for a while. I noticed the 2nd time if day (late afternoons) there is a nasty smell from the irrigation water. Not sure if that's normal because the program for the normal schedule is at 5 a.m. and I've never been outside at that time if say to notice if it smells.

Now, before any of you wisenheimers tell me to just get up early and check, I'm not going to get up at 5 a.m. to check for smells, I'd rather sit here now writing this to ask you extremely exceptionally knowledgeable folks here.

Thanks
It stinks all the time.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

I run between 3 and 5am. Trust me no matter where you live the irrigation water stinks so bad you try not to inhale deeply. I try to get out by 3 am before everyone waters their lawn.

So no worries getting up at 5am, I got you covered
Old 07-07-2020, 06:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
I run between 3 and 5am. Trust me no matter where you live the irrigation water stinks so bad you try not to inhale deeply. I try to get out by 3 am before everyone waters their lawn.

Any idea the reason for the smell?

My dear wife thinks I am nuts for getting out around 7 am for my walk of the morning.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:24 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Any idea the reason for the smell?

My dear wife thinks I am nuts for getting out around 7 am for my walk of the morning.
Village Community Development Districts

Steve
Old 07-07-2020, 06:39 PM

Florida s smelliest home town?
Old 07-07-2020, 08:36 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post

Not in Marion County portion of TV. We don’t use re-claimed water for irrigation.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Any idea the reason for the smell? My dear wife thinks I am nuts for getting out around 7 am for my walk of the morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Steve's link explains where the irrigation water for homes south of 466 comes from -- storm water runoff plus the lower Floridan aquifer. Water from the lower Floridan aquifer has a higher level of hydrogen sulfide, known for having the smell of rotten eggs.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,370 Times in 2,517 Posts

My wife makes me have a dump when the watering system is in use.
When neighbors remark on the dreadful smell, she blames it on the irrigation water.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:46 AM
Veteran member

Michael Charles only those on reclaimed water for irrigation have that problem , it does smell .no known relief only wee hours water timing lol
Old 07-08-2020, 05:23 AM

The Villages does not use reclaimed water anywhere. That is a popular myth, probably arising from the fact that in some areas the irrigation water stinks. If you call the water department they will be happy to explain it to you.

The water from the deep Florida Aquifer has huge amounts of hydrogen sulfide dissolved in it. It is all chlorinated, purified, and treated the same way. Drinking water goes through a final step of having the hydrogen sulfide removed. In some parts of The Villages they don’t do that final step for irrigation water. That is only difference.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddling Eagle View Post
The Villages does not use reclaimed water anywhere. That is a popular myth, probably arising from the fact that in some areas the irrigation water stinks. If you call the water department they will be happy to explain it to you.

The water from the deep Florida Aquifer has huge amounts of hydrogen sulfide dissolved in it. It is all chlorinated, purified, and treated the same way. Drinking water goes through a final step of having the hydrogen sulfide removed. In some parts of The Villages they don’t do that final step for irrigation water. That is only difference.
All the homes located south of 466 run off of reclaimed water because they have two water meters. The reclaimed water can have a sulfur smell to it. It is non-potable meaning non-drinkable water. That’s why you will also see what looks like rust stains on driveways and houses south of 466.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

The irrigation water comes from the ponds. At certain times of the year the odor of the water is worse. Ask people who live on golf courses. Set your timer for times that you won’t be outside.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:22 AM

Most irrigation water comes from detention water
Old 07-08-2020, 06:32 AM

it takes until afternoon for the waste water from toilets to leach through and get into the waste water system.
Closed Thread

Tags
water, smell, normal, time, check

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.