Offensive smell from irrigation water

Closed Thread
Old 07-08-2020, 06:39 AM
Sage

I do not know what you mean by "reclaimed water". If you mean treated water from the water treatment plants then you are incorrect for any home north of 44. Treated water from the water treatment plants is used for golf course irrigation but not residential irrigation north of 44. The homes south of 44 may use treated water from the water treatment plants for residential irrigation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagerNut View Post
All the homes located south of 466 run off of reclaimed water because they have two water meters. The reclaimed water can have a sulfur smell to it. It is non-potable meaning non-drinkable water. That’s why you will also see what looks like rust stains on driveways and houses south of 466.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:46 AM
Cool Stay up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Charles View Post
We just had some landscaping work done and need to water 2 times a day for a while. I noticed the 2nd time if day (late afternoons) there is a nasty smell from the irrigation water. Not sure if that's normal because the program for the normal schedule is at 5 a.m. and I've never been outside at that time if say to notice if it smells.

Now, before any of you wisenheimers tell me to just get up early and check, I'm not going to get up at 5 a.m. to check for smells, I'd rather sit here now writing this to ask you extremely exceptionally knowledgeable folks here.

Thanks
Stay up until 6:00 am..
No need to ruin your sleep !!

Old 07-08-2020, 06:46 AM

Even the rain smells bad here
Old 07-08-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
I do not know what you mean by "reclaimed water". If you mean treated water from the water treatment plants then you are incorrect for any home north of 44. Treated water from the water treatment plants is used for golf course irrigation but not residential irrigation north of 44. The homes south of 44 may use treated water from the water treatment plants for residential irrigation.
WRONG
Old 07-08-2020, 06:50 AM
Michael Charles

Well, I lived in St. James for 7 years and never noticed this nasty smell from the irrigation at any time.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:01 AM

Yuck
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	EC696746-3239-4158-BAB8-D9082261DD49.jpeg
Views:	619
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	85111  
Old 07-08-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Charles View Post
We just had some landscaping work done and need to water 2 times a day for a while. I noticed the 2nd time if day (late afternoons) there is a nasty smell from the irrigation water. Not sure if that's normal because the program for the normal schedule is at 5 a.m. and I've never been outside at that time if say to notice if it smells.

Now, before any of you wisenheimers tell me to just get up early and check, I'm not going to get up at 5 a.m. to check for smells, I'd rather sit here now writing this to ask you extremely exceptionally knowledgeable folks here.

Thanks
My wife and I noticed the foul smelling irrigation water long ago. If you go outside very long at all the smell will even be on your clothes. I think most people don't notice it, maybe have aclimated to it or have a poor sense of smell as we age. You have to know that it is bad stuff when they tell not to get the water on you or to bathe soon after you do.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:04 AM

The water comes from the retention ponds and when you and neighbors water fertilizer and other stuff seeps into the water as it soaks in the ground, so when this happens continuously the water in the ponds gets rancid, thus the smelly water. Try adjusted your sprinklers and getting sprayed with it, smells like you crawled out of the sewer!
Old 07-08-2020, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
My wife makes me have a dump when the watering system is in use.
When neighbors remark on the dreadful smell, she blames it on the irrigation water.
Funny!!!!
Old 07-08-2020, 07:09 AM
Sage

Nope, I am correct, as per the CDDs. I specifically asked the question of one of the facilities people at the day-long CDD class, that is held regularly. Just to be clear, by treated water from the water treatment plants I mean black water that is treated by the water treatment plants. I believe that is what is generally referred to as "reclaimed water" but the term may be used rather loosely by individuals, which is why I clarified.

As already posted by "anothersteve" from districtgov.org,

Home Irrigation:

North of CR 466, homes are irrigated with potable water.
South of CR 466, homes are irrigated with non-potable water which is comprised of storm water runoff that is collected in water retention areas and groundwater from the lower Floridan aquifer when storm water supplies are not available.
Golf Course Irrigation:

North of CR 466, golf courses are irrigated with a combination of reclaimed wastewater, storm water runoff that is collected in water retention areas, and groundwater (some upper Floridan and some Lower Floridan, depending on the specific course).
South of CR 466 all golf courses are irrigated with a combination of reclaimed wastewater and lower Floridan groundwater.
Please note that any reclaimed wastewater that is used for golf course irrigation is treated and meets the public access reuse standards established and required by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymac View Post
WRONG

Last edited by biker1; 07-08-2020 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddling Eagle View Post
The Villages does not use reclaimed water anywhere. That is a popular myth, probably arising from the fact that in some areas the irrigation water stinks. If you call the water department they will be happy to explain it to you.

The water from the deep Florida Aquifer has huge amounts of hydrogen sulfide dissolved in it. It is all chlorinated, purified, and treated the same way. Drinking water goes through a final step of having the hydrogen sulfide removed. In some parts of The Villages they don’t do that final step for irrigation water. That is only difference.
Not true. They openly admit they use reclaimed water for the sprinkler systems and only filter out debrie. Treating it costs a lot more money.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:19 AM
Sage

See posts #16 and #25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimchristie View Post
Not true. They openly admit they use reclaimed water for the sprinkler systems and only filter out debrie. Treating it costs a lot more money.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:13 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
See posts #16 and #25.
And post #5

Steve
Old 07-08-2020, 08:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

[QUOTE=Michael Charles;1799448]We just had some landscaping work done and need to water 2 times a day for a while. I noticed the 2nd time if day (late afternoons) there is a nasty smell from the irrigation water. Not sure if that's normal because the program for the normal schedule is at 5 a.m. and I've never been outside at that time if say to notice if it smells.

Thanks[/QUO. Well just my opinion! I know what your saying about Irrigation smell but personally I think the drinking water has an order. A while back I heard someone say in a TOTV comment that they thought TV had the best tasting drinking water. Your irritation water must be really bad because I’ve never smelled an odor. You’ll have to live with right along with your neighbors.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:44 AM

I disagree, they water the golf courses with water from the ponds. I got hit in the face with their sprinklers in my yard. Golf course is behind my house. Ended up with a horrible eye infection that took 2 rounds of medication and 2 months to clear up. Also had to contact Village's district government several times before they redirected their sprinklers!
Closed Thread

Tags
water, smell, normal, time, check

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.