Offensive smell from irrigation water

Closed Thread
Old 07-08-2020, 08:47 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,199 Times in 461 Posts

Reclaimed water, not knowing the specifics of that name, not potable water is also a water saving tactic. Water will become the new crisis in the future as it is a non renewable resource and people run it like there is no tomorrow. That is the reason for more restrictive shower heads and faucets and the reason why astroturf, or other methods that use less water and chemicals, should be considered here, in the villages, and elsewhere.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenflash245 View Post
it takes until afternoon for the waste water from toilets to leach through and get into the waste water system.
You forgot the smiley for this bit of satire........
Old 07-08-2020, 08:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddling Eagle View Post
The Villages does not use reclaimed water anywhere. That is a popular myth, probably arising from the fact that in some areas the irrigation water stinks. If you call the water department they will be happy to explain it to you.

The water from the deep Florida Aquifer has huge amounts of hydrogen sulfide dissolved in it. It is all chlorinated, purified, and treated the same way. Drinking water goes through a final step of having the hydrogen sulfide removed. In some parts of The Villages they don’t do that final step for irrigation water. That is only difference.
Consider reading the link in post #5.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:04 AM

Mine also smells sometimes, also the hose water smells. I thought it might be due to the heat.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:15 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Consider reading the link in post #5.
Thanks.

I've said this numerous times, you can find just about anything you need to know here;
Village Community Development Districts

That link should be bookmarked by everyone that lives or winters here.

Steve
Old 07-08-2020, 09:18 AM

It is obvious The Villages uses pond retention water. During the rainy season they sometimes run the sprinklers along Morse Blvd all day to drop the level of water in the ponds.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipops View Post
It is obvious The Villages uses pond retention water. During the rainy season they sometimes run the sprinklers along Morse Blvd all day to drop the level of water in the ponds.
And why is it again the run the sprinklers?
Old 07-08-2020, 09:41 AM
Default Think of it as free fertilizer lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Charles View Post
We just had some landscaping work done and need to water 2 times a day for a while. I noticed the 2nd time if day (late afternoons) there is a nasty smell from the irrigation water. Not sure if that's normal because the program for the normal schedule is at 5 a.m. and I've never been outside at that time if say to notice if it smells.

Now, before any of you wisenheimers tell me to just get up early and check, I'm not going to get up at 5 a.m. to check for smells, I'd rather sit here now writing this to ask you extremely exceptionally knowledgeable folks here.

Thanks
think of it as free fertilizer
Old 07-08-2020, 09:47 AM
theruizs

We are in Charlotte, it’s between 466a and 44. I haven’t noticed the smell but I try to keep it from spraying on the house or driveway too much because it causes a brownish rust like stain. The pressure wash guys can clean it up pretty easily, and had my lawn people do it once too. For sure keep you car well away from any over-spray.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:56 AM
theruizs

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
Reclaimed water, not knowing the specifics of that name, not potable water is also a water saving tactic. Water will become the new crisis in the future as it is a non renewable resource and people run it like there is no tomorrow. That is the reason for more restrictive shower heads and faucets and the reason why astroturf, or other methods that use less water and chemicals, should be considered here, in the villages, and elsewhere.
Also, lot-wide rock gardens and painted concrete. ;-) Seriously, zero lawn landscaping should be considered. You can landscape nicely with hearty attractive plants that require much less water than grass. The Colorado Springs community my son lives in allows it (they may even require it) and the community really looks great.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,688 Times in 1,205 Posts

Reclaimed water (dispensed from the purple pipes) is processed in accordance with the standards described here:

https://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/sites...lev2_08.09.pdf

Reclaimed Water | WaterMatters.org

Safety Assured
Strict requirements for the design, operation and monitoring of reclaimed water system facilities ensure that reclaimed water can be safely used for landscape irrigation and other purposes.

Municipal reuse facilities treat the water with a six-step process before delivering it to consumers through a reclaimed water distribution system. These facilities are continuously monitored to ensure that only high-quality reclaimed water goes into the distribution system.

Reclaimed water that has been treated to this level is essentially pathogen-free, sparkling clear and can safely be used by residents for irrigation and by businesses for irrigation, cooling and other industrial purposes. Florida has been a leader in safety with no reclaimed water-related illnesses since the state’s use of reclaimed water began 40 years ago.

The District will continue to support the development of reclaimed water as a safe, effective and efficient alternative water supply.

Decades of historical data demonstrate that both urban and agricultural irrigation use of reclaimed water is a safe and effective water supply. Existing literature adequately addresses quality and safety questions about the use of reclaimed water.

Last edited by Altavia; 07-08-2020 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:25 AM

Coronavirus has been found in the sewage which is processed and used as irrigation on our properties
Old 07-08-2020, 01:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
My wife makes me have a dump when the watering system is in use.
When neighbors remark on the dreadful smell, she blames it on the irrigation water.
I dang near spit Diet Pepsi out my nose when I read that. Hahahahaha.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
My wife makes me have a dump when the watering system is in use.
When neighbors remark on the dreadful smell, she blames it on the irrigation water.
Number 1 humor post about #2
Old 07-08-2020, 02:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Number 1 humor post about #2
I wonder if I could start a thread like, "What is your nickname for your favorite goldfish"?
Closed Thread

Tags
water, smell, normal, time, check

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.