Okay SERIOUSLY. Is there anyone who can maintain a yard?

Closed Thread
Old 05-01-2018, 06:15 PM
Arrow Okay SERIOUSLY. Is there anyone who can maintain a yard?

We have used Chad's and Deans and our lawn looks AWFUL.

Recommendations for someone good and reasonable who will mow EVERY week in the growing season would be much appreciated.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

This is the dry season. Our lawns have come back from dormancy and the rain hasn't begun to fall every day like it will the end of May, for the summer.

Water more.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOTV Newbie View Post

Recommendations for someone good and reasonable who will mow EVERY week in the growing season would be much appreciated.
We've had good luck with FertiGator, 352-314-2867.
Also, it's worth it to pay extra for their springtime Hydretain treatment.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

If you used Deans, did you talk to them, as pointed out above, watering CORRECTLY is critical to lawns and landscaping. If you are not familiar with the irrigation system, contact Jim Baumgardener and have him do a review of your entire system and the settings.This should help considerably. NOTE: we have used Deans for almost 5 years, and our yard is as good as the neighbors, with one exception of a neighbor that did his own, LOTS of work. Also Deans has been very responsive to any concerns that we have had over the years.
I would call Deans customer service, give them your address and ask for a supervisor to stop by and talk to you, I think they may also do the irrigation, but I do not have that service, as I use Jim.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:09 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOTV Newbie View Post

Fertigator. Brought our lawn back to life!

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2018, 09:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

We bought a preowned that the lawn had nothing done for over a year. We have had it top dressed once, with black cow.
We just had out deans guy out to discuss the lawn, he spent 45 minutes discussing our next action. We are in our third year of trying to bring the lawn back from the dead. It’s a work in progress that takes time. We are going to top dress again in the fall. If you dig a hole in our yard it’s all sand and no clay to hold the water.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

I can and I do, my own yard. Most people can’t, won’t or don’t know what to do. My yard is my stress relief after a busy day at work. I guess I was lucky to be born with a green thumb.

Commercial companies are only in it for the money. They zip in and zip out; sometimes they get it right, most of the time they get it wrong. Yards require personal care and commercial companies can’t give it.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:02 PM

How about a green flat rock lawn?...Have a company paint, flat river rocks in a tumbler..This, entirely covering the rocks, grass colored green...Remove sod, level out the green rocks entirely where the sod was removed...Wow, think of the money saved, and the peace of mind..There is enough lawn grass in The Villages commons, that the green rock lawns would trick, fool the eye.. The French have a word for it(so must be very chic)....O.K. ok, jus an idea, don't flame me, and don't tell community standards...Ah don thin so amigo, noway...

Last edited by Villagevip; 05-14-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Remember we are essentially trying to grow grass on a sand dune!!!

The big riding mowers do take their toll on lawns. The quick turning and following of curves causes wheel spin which stresses/damages grass.

We had our guy switch to his walk behind mower....plus we eliminated most sharp curves in the landscaping....lawn has recovered nicely.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

I happened to be out in my yard today when the Deans guy shows up next door. He walks over and asks what company takes care of my yard? When I told him that I do, he said I need to come to work for them. Best laugh I had for the day.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
I happened to be out in my yard today when the Deans guy shows up next door. He walks over and asks what company takes care of my yard? When I told him that I do, he said I need to come to work for them. Best laugh I had for the day.
Congratulations to you. It really isn't hard growing grass in Jurassic Park. Signing up for the Scott's Program is easy on your smartphone.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw Man View Post
We've had good luck with FertiGator, 352-314-2867.
Also, it's worth it to pay extra for their springtime Hydretain treatment.
Could you tell me what you pay for Fertigator and what you get for that? Even PM me if you want. We have them and loved them for the first year or two but lately they have been unresponsive to a problem we have in our yard. They didn't fill our fertigator on time and our yard was light green. Then I called for them to come out to meet with us and fill it and they did two weeks later and didn't leave a note. I asked why and she said they don't leave notes in door anymore they email it to you, which they did not. They still didn't address the problem on the yard of brown grass in two areas. I called again and asked them to make an appointment with me to come out and discuss the problem and it has been three days and no one called. I'm about ready to kick them to the curb. All of a sudden they emailed me with a $90 bill which I have no idea where it came from as we pay every month. She said we were double billed for March.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
This is the dry season. Our lawns have come back from dormancy and the rain hasn't begun to fall every day like it will the end of May, for the summer.

Water more.

Yep, 3 times a week @ 50% higher than the low voltage box sticker recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2018, 08:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

We use Heron, (352-458-4912) every other month, their recommendation, $61, proof is in the "puddin", check out the lawns here in Villages, when you find one you like, ask them, chances are they will help you AND as a bonus, they might be your next very best friend!
Old 05-03-2018, 09:13 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagevip View Post
How about a green flat rock lawn?...Have a company paint, flat river rocks in a tumbler..This, entirely covering the rocks, grass colored green...Remove sod, level out the green rocks entirely where the sod was removed...Wow, think of the money saved, and the peace of mind..There is enough lawn grass in The Villages commons, that the rock lawns would trick, fool the eye.. The French have a word for it(so must be very chic)....O.K. ok, jus an idea, don't flame me, and don't tell community standards...Ah don thin so amigo, noway...
Trompe l’oeil. It literally means “trick the eye.” There is a magnificent example in the UU church in Provincetown. Uumh.org has a few samples.

Last edited by Henryk; 05-03-2018 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Typo
Closed Thread

Tags
maintain, yard, week, mow, reasonable

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.