Once St. Augustine goes dormant/brown like it is now,

Closed Thread
Old 12-24-2010, 08:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Once St. Augustine goes dormant/brown like it is now,

how often should it be watered or at all?

About 1/3 of our lawn was resodded in mid October...does this area need any different watering when dormant than the established lawn?

btk
Old 12-24-2010, 08:35 AM
Default Good question

Anybody know the answer? I'm in a similar situation.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
how often should it be watered or at all?

About 1/3 of our lawn was resodded in mid October...does this area need any different watering when dormant than the established lawn?

btk
Lot of helpful hints here;
http://www.thevillageswaterwisdom.com/

If your answer is not at that site call Jim Davis at the county annex on Morse Blvd.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:53 AM

Thanks, Bogie.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:15 PM
Gold member

There's also a whole bunch of info in the front pages of the Villages phone book - plus, going to the monthly "Twice on Tuesdays" put on by the Sumter County extension service and Master Gardeners is very informative. They have a topic, show slides and take questions, and hang around after for more individual questions. I think they are on the 4th Tuesday of every month except December. Sea Breeze and Saddlebrook (or Savannah, not sure) rec centers. Pick up a ticket beforehand at the rec center. It is free, but sometimes fills up.

I have zoysia grass and am following the recommendations in the phone book (which is the same as the water wisdom site).

You can also contact the extension agent by email from the Sumter County extension website. There's also a plant clinic to which you may bring samples of your problems and/or questions on Mondays at the Sumter co. sheriff's annex at Morse and 466 - the extension branch moved there. Call 352-793-2728 for details and to confirm what's available.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Gold member

We had same type grass in Ark, goes dormant in winter and doesn't need to be watered according to the extension service meeting we went to last month.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 12-24-2010, 02:27 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

You really don't have to water the lawn during the winter, but you do the landscaping. However, it doesn't hurt to give the grass 5-10 minutes a week, especially with it getting so cold so early -- water in the evening and it helps the roots if there's a freeze (not every night there's a freeze, just the weekly watering).

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-24-2010, 11:33 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
You really don't have to water the lawn during the winter, but you do the landscaping. However, it doesn't hurt to give the grass 5-10 minutes a week, especially with it getting so cold so early -- water in the evening and it helps the roots if there's a freeze (not every night there's a freeze, just the weekly watering).
This is exactly opposite what our lawn service says. They say to avoid watering before, during or immediately after a freeze. In general, lawns should not be watered in the evening since the wet leaves promote disease. It's best to water in the early morning - like just before dawn. However, if a freeze is expected, turn your system off so it doesn't water while the temps are below freezing. Also, frequent light waterings are bad for the root system since it encourages the roots to stay at the surface of the soil, thus making them more prone to draught.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:45 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

If there's a deep freeze, definitely turn the sprinklers OFF. However, I've been told by several landscapers/gardeners that even during the winter run the sprinklers in the evening between 8 and 11 pm, never in the morning when there is a chance of a light frost (cold and/or frost and sprinkler water do not mix well unless you're deliberately setting up an ice layer like citrus growers do) for 5-10 minutes and you only need to do it once a week unless you have new plants (and who would plant in the winter here?).

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-25-2010, 07:55 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
(and who would plant in the winter here?).
Been around any of the new homes lately?

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.