Palm Tree

Closed Thread
Old 01-25-2018, 07:24 PM
Default Palm Tree

Need to purchase a palm tree for the back yard. Any recommendations of who sells palms for a reasonable price, and will plant, etc?

Many thanks!
Old 01-25-2018, 08:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,145 Times in 2,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFER247 View Post
Need to purchase a palm tree for the back yard. Any recommendations of who sells palms for a reasonable price, and will plant, etc?

Many thanks!
Please do some research, there are plenty of landscapers that will put in a palm cheaply, and you will get the opportunity to pay for replacing the WRONG type of palm that was planted. Talk to either master gardener or a reputable landscaper to make sure you get a suitable palm for this location. Then, remember to do the correct fertilization 3 times per year. Also, consider the size of the palm after a few years.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:31 PM

Fertigator has nice palms reasonable price installed.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,563 Times in 509 Posts

Jodi at Village Palms. 352.459.6373

Our Queen's and Sylvester's were planted 11/15 and they are doing fantastic. Of course, I do take care of them myself (giving them water/food, cutting the old fronds and pods out of them). We did get to pick the trees out prior to VP planting them.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Jodi at Village Palms. 352.459.6373
Another vote for Village Palms but as pointed out, they do require some work.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 01-29-2018, 09:57 AM

I have one in my yard I want dug up and taken
Old 01-29-2018, 10:29 AM
Gold member

I would suggest a sable palm. They look great and are hardy when we get a frost.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:20 PM
Veteran member

The good landscapers will tell you as soon as you plant a queen it starts to die. Many will be lost after the cold spell this year and to the palm rot that attacks the queens.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:15 PM

We had to learn the hard way. We moved here 15 years ago and the first thing we did was plant Queen Palms on both Back Corners of our house. Guess what! We now had to pay someone a HUGE amount of money to take them down. We had 4 and all were diseased. We had decided to plant Sable Palms in the front 15 years ago and they are thriving. If I had it to do again I would not plant Queens anywhere!
Old 02-20-2018, 02:27 AM
Veteran member

Have you noticed the exorbitant number of Queen palms in The Villages? The main reason is because they are cheap! They are also trash trees (my opinion) and our weather is really not suitable for them; we are too far north. In addition, most of them, even those which are newly planted, have frizzle top.

Although there are many nice varieties of palms, they aren't my go-to idea in landscaping. Rats love them and that is where they live (in the canopy of the palm).

How about a nice mid-size tree so you can have some shade in the summer and possibly some flowers in the spring and/or fall?
Old 02-20-2018, 07:02 AM

WOW, this thread is incredible. No queen died this year from cold.
ALL living things are dying...
sable palms are very high maintenance around a home
, many palms are VERY low maintenance needing little fertilizer or water.... or trimming.
Read Betrock's book of facts before you accept opinions, no matter how they insist they are true. Hearsay is not true experience or education

The palms that died this year from freeze? Areca, bottle, triangle. TROPICALS. Don't trust any landscaper or nursery that says these live here. And ask for FACTS..actual temps they may brown or die at. Everyone has an opinion, a few around here have real information.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:18 AM
Veteran member
Default mistake

i had 4 planted 16 yrs ago they were about 6 ft. tall and now are about 25 ft .. they are beautiful trees but heavy on maintenance trimming fronds and pods which are almost impossible to reach when tree matures.. I had 1 taken down 4 yrs ago dry rot.. and another is in bad shape.. if I had it to do over again i would not have put them in
Old 02-20-2018, 10:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
WOW, this thread is incredible. No queen died this year from cold.
ALL living things are dying...
sable palms are very high maintenance around a home
, many palms are VERY low maintenance needing little fertilizer or water.... or trimming.
Read Betrock's book of facts before you accept opinions, no matter how they insist they are true. Hearsay is not true experience or education

The palms that died this year from freeze? Areca, bottle, triangle. TROPICALS. Don't trust any landscaper or nursery that says these live here. And ask for FACTS..actual temps they may brown or die at. Everyone has an opinion, a few around here have real information.
You are a pretty knowledgeable person as indicated from many of your previous threads and comments (although I may not always agree with you ).

However, winter isn't over yet and it would take a fair amount of time before realizing any palm was truly dead.

Tags
palm, tree, price, reasonable, palms

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.