Palm Tree Recommendations Needed

Closed Thread
Old 01-29-2017, 07:42 PM
miken
Default Palm Tree Recommendations Needed

We live in our TV home less than 6 months a year and want to plant some palm trees (and had also wanted to plant cypress trees). So we are not here to always maintain them when it should be done, e.g. fertilize, pick up the fruit, spray the cypress for mites, etc. Therefore, we are not getting any cypress and have narrowed our palm tree selection to a Sylvester. However, we hear that palm trees attract snakes and rats, especially if you do not pick up the fruit that falls. So we are thinking about not getting any palm trees. Looking for any helpful comments.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:17 AM
Email Reported As Spam

if I had to do it over again never would plant a palm tree nor a citrus tree. I am pulling them all out
Old 02-19-2017, 06:47 PM

Copernicia palm would be the best choice imo, given the criteria you have mentioned.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:19 PM
Gold member

I can't remember the names of our palms but they are "Self Cleaning" and grow tall, 20ft?

we were advised to get them from the nursery. they cost a tad bit more than queens but they never need to be trimmed as they drop there fronds when they die and we just pick then up from the ground.

makes our life so much easier.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:49 PM
Veteran member

All palms need care. The fruit they all have needs to be cut out or it does attract rats. I have a sylvester, 11 years old and someone needs to trim the brown fronds off annually. You can do it with a sawzall when it's short but now I need a cherrypicker, ladder's not high enough. Queens need may too much trimming and I don't know what the Copernicia palm is. I do have a pinto palm with fern like blue-green fronds and it's a slow grower. Does have the fruit which you can make into jelly. We are able to maintain the trimming as it's not too high after 12 years, but trimming the dead branches is a must, a yearly chore.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:53 PM

Queen palms are the best! That's if you like climbing them, trimming every three months and picking up your yard. In other words don't plant them!
Old 02-19-2017, 08:28 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miken View Post
We live in our TV home less than 6 months a year and want to plant some palm trees (and had also wanted to plant cypress trees). So we are not here to always maintain them when it should be done, e.g. fertilize, pick up the fruit, spray the cypress for mites, etc. Therefore, we are not getting any cypress and have narrowed our palm tree selection to a Sylvester. However, we hear that palm trees attract snakes and rats, especially if you do not pick up the fruit that falls. So we are thinking about not getting any palm trees. Looking for any helpful comments.
I love the look, and the healthiness of the Sylvester Palms and I've never seen a snake or rat around mine. It does bear pods, but you can cut them out. I never have. I just let nature happen and I've never had any problem or issues. I do see an occasional squirrel feasting on the little golden pods, but they have never really been a nuisance.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

OP, contact master gardener, and they will give you a straight answer to all of your questions. You may also be able to have your lawn service pickup the fertilization, etc., of your trees. We have Sylvester's, they need to be fertilized 3 times per year, and NOT over the winter. Also, put in 2 canary palms, these are relatively slow growing.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Queen palms require a significant amount of maintenance. They grow relatively fast....get very tall.

Need to have the spikes/seed pods remove as many as 3 times per year. If not removed the fruit is large and makes a literal mess of the area they drop in.

If we had to do over again we would not have queen palms.

Seriously considering bearing the one time expense and having ours removed.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

I always associated Florida with palm trees. Actually beaches and palm trees. Well, no beaches here but the palms in my yard are an enjoyable sight.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2017, 09:36 AM
Gold member

I like the European Fan Palm.
Good down to 10deg.
Only grows to 15ft.
Can trim it myself.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

I have three nearly fully grown queen palms , had 4 but had have one taken out due to trunk rot. The three I got left are manageable with manual telescoping pole pruner. I have two pruners and the one with the tri cut premium blade which cuts on the back stroke. Much easier that the cheap one I have that take for ever to cut through fawn base.

I wouldn't plant queens for two reasons. Considerable amount of maintenance and once full grown it you take it out Nothing can be planted in the root bulb spot for very long time if ever. I cut my seed pods out right after the bloom or break open. I don't give them time to shed the out layer of the seeds and the pod is still green and easier to cut out. Fawns are constantly dying and growing back. High winds will break them at the base. So you have considerable maintenance.

I don't climb on ladder very much so I have the two pole saws to reach them beings they are nearly full grown. As someone mentioned they need feed to stay green and health in the top. hear picture of quality pole telescoping saw/pruner if anybody interested.

Tree trimming Pole Saw | Pole Saw Direct
Closed Thread

Tags
palm, trees, cypress, tree, plant

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.