Palm Tree Trimming

Closed Thread
Old 04-12-2018, 03:25 PM
Default Palm Tree Trimming

I have a Pindo Palm and not exactly sure when it should be trimmed. Some of the prawns at the bottom are starting to turn brown but still have some green. Someone told me not trim unless prawns are all brown but not sure if that applies to a 6 year old tree. They are touching the ground. Deans who does my lawn etc, say they trim palms but I am considering hiring someone who is in the trimming business. Appreciate all replies.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:45 AM
Veteran member

It is best not to trim fronds (or leaves, not prawns) if they are green but having them lay on the ground is not ideal either. In this case, trim enough so that there are none on the ground.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daca55 View Post
I have a Pindo Palm and not exactly sure when it should be trimmed. Some of the prawns at the bottom are starting to turn brown but still have some green. Someone told me not trim unless prawns are all brown but not sure if that applies to a 6 year old tree. They are touching the ground. Deans who does my lawn etc, say they trim palms but I am considering hiring someone who is in the trimming business. Appreciate all replies.
Having heard the "experts" on this site weigh in recommending never trimming a frond unless its all brown, I reached out to Monica L. Elliott, Professor of Plant Pathology, University of Florida/IFAS l Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center.

Her response was this, "Those fronds are actually providing potassium to the plant. Potassium is a mobile element. The palm is removing the potassium from the oldest part of the palm, which initially are the leaf tips of the oldest leaves and moving it into the newest leaves. Ideally, we would prefer to see the dead end of the frond (leaf) removed, and leave the green portion. It will eventually become brown also, but you can then remove the rest of the leaf."

As a result, this is what I do for all of my palms, with very favorable results.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:16 AM
Sage

///
Old 04-13-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Having heard the "experts" on this site weigh in recommending never trimming a frond unless its all brown, I reached out to Monica L. Elliott, Professor of Plant Pathology, University of Florida/IFAS l Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center.

Her response was this, "Those fronds are actually providing potassium to the plant. Potassium is a mobile element. The palm is removing the potassium from the oldest part of the palm, which initially are the leaf tips of the oldest leaves and moving it into the newest leaves. Ideally, we would prefer to see the dead end of the frond (leaf) removed, and leave the green portion. It will eventually become brown also, but you can then remove the rest of the leaf."

As a result, this is what I do for all of my palms, with very favorable results.

Hope this helps.
If I am understanding you correctly you trim off only the brown and of the fronds and then wait for the rest to turn brown and then trim that off, correct?
Old 04-13-2018, 10:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by daca55 View Post
If I am understanding you correctly you trim off only the brown and of the fronds and then wait for the rest to turn brown and then trim that off, correct?
Exactly right!
Closed Thread

Tags
prawns, palm, brown, trim, tree

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.