Pergolas

Closed Thread
Old 05-24-2021, 10:49 AM
Default Pergolas

Not sure if this is the right forum but.......

Has anyone installed a free standing pergola? thinking of doing this and looking for feedback on product, company (I will probably self install) etc. from those who may have already done it.
Old 05-24-2021, 11:38 AM
Sage

Read your deed restrictions. If you build a pergola, it must be attached to the house. Also, you will need ARC approval. Not sure about a building permit, but that would not surprise me with any type of vertical structure.
Old 05-24-2021, 12:00 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

You will need to check the External Deed Restrictions for your District to see if it contains this info "Alterations, Modifications and Changes The District is responsible for approving alterations, changes or modifications to Homesites and the exterior appearance and structure of the home. No after-market change should be made to the homesite or home without first gaining approval. This includes but is not limited to: arbors, trellises, pergolas, pools, patios, screen cages, decks, awnings, fireplaces, fences, walls, enclosures, landscaping, driveway additions or coating/pavers, re-paintings and room additions to the home. The District approval may be via an Architectural Review Committee (ARC) created by District resolution or inter-local agreement." Most of them do contain it.

VCDD Community Standards

Old 05-24-2021, 01:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

I would be real careful with the 'self install' option, Irma had wind surges around 115 MPH. When you apply for ARC approval you maybe required to fill in a contractor (it has been a few years since I did this), and you may need detailed plans for approval, do not ignore this, as there have been cases where homeowners were required to remove unapproved projects.
I recently helped with some minor modifications to an aluminum pergola and I was very surprised at the size (8" by8") aluminum supports that were almost 1/4 inch thick, horizontal beams were also about 1/4" wall thickness about 8" by 4". All the construction was much heavier than I expected.
Old 05-24-2021, 01:20 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,773 Times in 3,641 Posts

Neighbor just de-installed............too much maintenance for them.

Tags
pergolas, install, product, company, feedback

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.