Pine straw vs. wood chips vs. landscape rocks

Pine straw vs. wood chips vs. landscape rocks

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 03-08-2019, 12:26 PM
Sage

Our last house had pine straw until we got so tired of walking it into the house. It was always spilling/blowing onto the sidewalk from the front landscaping. A hard rain bounced it out also. We had it all changed to stones and never looked back. In six years we never had any mold or plant damage. If you use plants recommended for our area's summer heat, you won't have a problem. We did leave a couple of inches bare around the base of the plants.

Old 03-08-2019, 01:08 PM

Not sure if mold is a problem, but I think that weeds growing between the stones after 3-4 years can be.

I asked your questions to a landscaper a few years ago and was told that they like installing stone. Why? They get paid to install it, then paid again to remove it a few years later. Just what I was told.

I like to take the master gardeners advice.

All About Mulch - Gardening Solutions - University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2019, 07:59 AM

We just had 4 cubic yards of White Marble Rock put down with protective mat to prevent weeds from coming through. The cost including contractor putting it down was 1150.00. He did a superb price. If you want his number reply back and I will give it to you.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:14 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoSteveO View Post
Not sure if mold is a problem, but I think that weeds growing between the stones after 3-4 years can be.

I asked your questions to a landscaper a few years ago and was told that they like installing stone. Why? They get paid to install it, then paid again to remove it a few years later. Just what I was told.

I like to take the master gardeners advice.

All About Mulch - Gardening Solutions - University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences
We converted to stone four years ago. I would never consider having it removed. As for any weed growth, a quick spray of weed killer takes care of it.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:21 AM

We recently purchased a CYV, it had wood chips and lava rock and way too many shrubs. We removed most of the shrubs removed the horrible looking wood chips and lava rock that had been here for some years. We replaced with river rock and it looks very nice and has a much cleaner look.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:48 AM

Default Using white marble-a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosbestus View Post
We just had 4 cubic yards of White Marble Rock put down with protective mat to prevent weeds from coming through. The cost including contractor putting it down was 1150.00. He did a superb price. If you want his number reply back and I will give it to you.
Reminder-previous post-I am in the pine straw group.

Marble is just another form of limestone. Our soil is already alkaline.

Adding marble is the same as adding lime and so you are making your already too alkaline soil more so.

Any doubt-put a chip of your marble into vinegar and it will fizz as the marble dissolves.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
We converted to stone four years ago. I would never consider having it removed. As for any weed growth, a quick spray of weed killer takes care of it.
Or applying a weed preventer every 6 months or so.

Tags
landscape, rocks, years, straw, wall