Problem Needing a Solution

Closed Thread
Old 06-05-2015, 08:32 AM
Platinum member
Default Problem Needing a Solution

I'm looking forward to the intelligent and creative solutions from TOTV.

In my landscaping I have several boxwoods that I like. The problem is that grass/ weeds has grown up through the boxwoods and grows taller so that it shows above the top of the manicured shrubs. The problem is how do I kill the weeds/ grass without killing the boxwoods. I thought about trying to apply Roundup to the top of the weeds when it grows through, but I'm really afraid that I will get the herbicide on the boxwood and thus kill it too. Any suggestions? If I don't get a better suggestion then I'm going to try my Roundup idea and see what happens.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
I'm looking forward to the intelligent and creative solutions from TOTV.

In my landscaping I have several boxwoods that I like. The problem is that grass/ weeds has grown up through the boxwoods and grows taller so that it shows above the top of the manicured shrubs. The problem is how do I kill the weeds/ grass without killing the boxwoods. I thought about trying to apply Roundup to the top of the weeds when it grows through, but I'm really afraid that I will get the herbicide on the boxwood and thus kill it too. Any suggestions? If I don't get a better suggestion then I'm going to try my Roundup idea and see what happens.
What I do is trim out the lower branches so I can reach in and pull out that pesky grass. Firmly and gently so as to get the looooong root. Use gloves.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:08 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Forget the Round-Up idea. You're pretty much guaranteed to kill the boxwood or at least damage it. As Gracie said, the best you can do is pull it out by hand and hope you get all if the root.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-05-2015, 01:19 PM

Fernview Farms told us to cut as much as we could and then "paint" the ends of the weeds with a small brush and Roundup.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Try putting latex/rubber gloves on, spray roundup on paper towels, and wipe upwards along the grass/weeds that are sticking out.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:31 PM

try grass B Gone-won't hurt the shrubs or flowers-same company as weed B Gone but kills grasses instead.
Taught physics and chemistry to teenagers for 37 years!! Started out in Rhinebeck,NY and ended up in Havre de Grace, MD-moved to Buttonwood full time and then moved to Labelle, but still go north to do some goose/deer hunting !!!!
Old 06-06-2015, 09:05 PM

The trick, is to dig up the boxwood and remove the weed root and all, and replant the shrub. Not many have the skill needed to pull it off without seriously shocking or killing the boxwood. Knowledge alone won't tree the coon.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmemac View Post
try grass B Gone-won't hurt the shrubs or flowers-same company as weed B Gone but kills grasses instead.
Probably Bermuda grass. Grass B Gone won't even slow it down.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:33 AM
Platinum member

I'm gonna try that with a paintbrush or towel. Thanks.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:32 AM

Instead of paper towels use 2 small sponges.
Closed Thread

Tags
boxwoods, weeds, problem, kill, roundup, grass, grows, top, herbicide, needing, boxwood, apply, afraid, suggestions, idea, suggestion, thought, grown, solutions, creative, taller, landscaping, totv, intelligent, solution

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.