Push mowing

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2022, 06:49 PM
Default Push mowing

My husband has serious lawn skills and is thinking he will start mowing Court Yard Villas as a business. He mows our grass in a Patio Villa. He is a veteran and needs to stay busy.
Do you think this is a good idea? I saw some posts where people asked for this service. He has all the equipment he brought with us from NC. We are FT here so what are your thoughts? Thanks
Old 10-18-2022, 11:42 PM

If he could advertise that his 'push mowing' wont wake the residents & neighbors up at 6:45AM like the un-muffled gas powered crews that come thru here, he might do really well.
Seriously though, is this biz idea scalable? If it catches on, that is something to consider.
Best of luck to him, I think its an awesome win-win idea!
Old 10-19-2022, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YvonneandScott View Post
My husband has serious lawn skills and is thinking he will start mowing Court Yard Villas as a business. He mows our grass in a Patio Villa. He is a veteran and needs to stay busy.
Do you think this is a good idea? I saw some posts where people asked for this service. He has all the equipment he brought with us from NC. We are FT here so what are your thoughts? Thanks
Let me know if you do… 😊
Old 10-19-2022, 03:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

OP.
Another thread on subject, and a few prospective customers.
I thought there was a good business opportunity for someone willing to push mow!

Need a Push Mower Lawn Mowing Bagging Service

"...and this time next year Rodney, we'll all be millionaires!!"
Del Boy. 'Only fools and horses.'
Old 10-19-2022, 05:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

If all he does is mow grass, he will have a lot of competition at about $40 per month. But, if he also periodically trims the shrubs and sprays for weeds in the shrub area, he will have less competition and can charge a little more. I have Massey because they do everything: mowing, weed control, shrub trimming, lawn treatment, pest control, and irrigation maintenance. They are not cheap and not the best, but I only need to deal with one company, and I don't need to pay them any money in advance. If the mower breaks a sprinkler head, I don't need to argue with anyone about who is responsible. They also answer the phone and they have a website where you can request a service and they will respond. It is sad to say it, but, if you just answer the phone, you will be way ahead of half of your competition.
Old 10-19-2022, 05:27 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Provide quality, reliable, service..................he will be very successful.

Old 10-19-2022, 05:56 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,017 Times in 524 Posts
Default Hurry

It’s almost the season where no one needs their grass cut. A monthly buzz at best till March.

“Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see further.” Thomas Carlyle
Old 10-19-2022, 06:11 AM

He'll have all the work he wants, especially if he'll do the larger lawns, 3-4k square feet. Bagging just adds more $. I have more work than I want but actually had a lady offer me $100 per month for a patio villa with a back lawn no bigger than 200 square feet just to have someone dependable. We settled on $50 per month cut twice a month.
Old 10-19-2022, 07:50 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,177 Times in 758 Posts

Sounds like a great idea, but don't do it out of your garage, otherwise the two ladies with a clip board will report you.
Old 10-19-2022, 04:49 PM

My two cents ; It’s one thing to do a lawn / gardening / landscaping as a hobby, another to do it multiple times per day x 5 or even 7 times a week. Especially with a push mower in the heat and humidity that is Florida.

Ideally, you would want to get a number of customers really close to each other so you spend more time mowing vs driving your truck / trailer from one to another. If you do decide to offer weed spraying, you will need to study and pass a test to get a license to apply herbicides. This license will need to be renewed on a regular basis. Keep in mind all the book keeping that goes along with running a business ; taxes, collections, invoicing, insurance. If you employ someone, that’s a even bigger hassle.

If money is not the issue and you just like doing it to keep yourself busy…..and perhaps find a sense of fulfillment. Offer your services for free or at a reduced price to those less fortunate.
Old 10-20-2022, 04:58 AM
Veteran member

It sounds like a great idea, but let's not forget a job is a job. A job is a commitment, once you take on something on like this you have to understand people will expect you to show up when you're scheduled, no excuses. To me it looks like a recipe to lose friends and neighbors.
Old 10-20-2022, 05:02 AM

Free? I don't think so. It's a great idea if it's close and he doesn't take on too many customers. Think about potential liability issues that could arise, reporting income, etc.
Old 10-20-2022, 05:12 AM
Veteran member

Think of it as a hobby , customers if they are paying want service on a regular basis hot , cold, rain, shine. If doing it for free same applies .personally I prefer to pay a good reliable mower and trimmer . We have had the same crew doing our villa for over 10 years .
Old 10-20-2022, 05:44 AM
Veteran member

post his advertisement also in the Nextdoor site. And what village is he in and how far will he go?
Old 10-20-2022, 06:31 AM

If he just wants to stay busy and money is not the reason, I suggest joining the Habitat for Humanity Villages club. They provide similar services to homes in and around TV for people who can’t do it themselves and the risk of running a business out of your home goes away. Other services they provide are planting and small home repairs both in and outside the house. The money they receive goes to their home build fund. Currently they build 1 home a year and want to move to 2 soon.

Just a suggestion…
Closed Thread

Tags
mowing, push, service, asked, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.