Push mowing

Closed Thread
Old 10-20-2022, 06:41 AM

Lawn mowing (and landscaping, irrigation, etc.) is my business for 40+ years. All of the above comments are useful. I would add that your trustworthy equipment that you brought with you from up north will fail within weeks. That stuff is designed to mow your own lawn for maybe an hour at a time... 2-4 hours a month. Pick up some extra work and start running 20 hours a week and you will need commercial equipment. Google 21" Toro Commercial lawn mower. It's $1900. 2022 Toro Heavy Duty 21" (53 cm) Self-Propelled (22295) TO222951581-004 | Four Brother's Outdoor Power
Old 10-20-2022, 07:48 AM

If he offers to pull weeds and is dependable he will have oooodles of customers!
Old 10-20-2022, 08:52 AM

Tell hubby to play more golf….mowing someone else’s lawn is a ticket to an early grave….
Old 10-20-2022, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFwUs View Post
If he could advertise that his 'push mowing' wont wake the residents & neighbors up at 6:45AM like the un-muffled gas powered crews that come thru here, he might do really well.
Seriously though, is this biz idea scalable? If it catches on, that is something to consider.
Best of luck to him, I think it’s an awesome win-win idea!
we have been using an electric mower which is very quiet. Newer Battery mowers are pretty powerful and he doesn’t have to store gas/oil. And he did think of quiet issue. Also why he is only doing small areas. But he has several batteries. We are in a patio villa and have a larger lot and electric mower does great. Thanks
Old 10-20-2022, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,714 Times in 5,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YvonneandScott View Post
we have been using an electric mower which is very quiet. Newer Battery mowers are pretty powerful and he doesn’t have to store gas/oil. And he did think of quiet issue. Also why he is only doing small areas. But he has several batteries. We are in a patio villa and have a larger lot and electric mower does great. Thanks
I don't think that using a quiet mower will make any difference in how much business he will get. I don't like noise either, but it only takes about 10 minutes to mow a courtyard villa.
Old 10-20-2022, 10:50 AM
Location: Wyoming born, Texan by choice, Motorcoach wander and now Glenbrook village

Quote:
Originally Posted by YvonneandScott View Post
My husband has serious lawn skills and is thinking he will start mowing Court Yard Villas as a business. He mows our grass in a Patio Villa. He is a veteran and needs to stay busy.
Do you think this is a good idea? I saw some posts where people asked for this service. He has all the equipment he brought with us from NC. We are FT here so what are your thoughts? Thanks
Absolutely. Took us forever to find someone to do a push mower. The previous guy was great but the big mower with the exact same tract started ruining the grass. Why not do any style of home? We are designer house and want a push mower.
Old 10-20-2022, 11:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersweeney View Post
Tell hubby to play more golf….mowing someone else’s lawn is a ticket to an early grave….
Not true! Doing your own maintenance keeps you in great shape. Sitting in a golf cart and strolling around a golf course is minimal exercise. Just look around at the people who care for their own yard and you will see that they are usually in great shape. Initially (the first ten years) the neighbors joke about the gardening nut (who gets dirty and very sweaty) but after the neighbors age they often can’t walk fast, lift heavy objects, have heart disease and are often overweight. They no longer say anything after that.
Old 10-20-2022, 03:05 PM

I called The Villages about this. They said rule applies to a business in your home working in home. Like repairing lawn mowers and golf carts. Not to a business you own doing outside the home. Thanks for the advice though but I’m on it. 😃
Old 10-20-2022, 03:08 PM

He was afraid people would not like the cost because it would cost more pushing than riding. But he can definitely come by a do a quote for you. He is really good at it. Keeps straight lines and is very OCD. Right now he is doing north of 466 A. Message me if you’re interested.
Old 10-20-2022, 04:28 PM
Default License Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
If all he does is mow grass, he will have a lot of competition at about $40 per month. But, if he also periodically trims the shrubs and sprays for weeds in the shrub area, he will have less competition and can charge a little more. I have Massey because they do everything: mowing, weed control, shrub trimming, lawn treatment, pest control, and irrigation maintenance. They are not cheap and not the best, but I only need to deal with one company, and I don't need to pay them any money in advance. If the mower breaks a sprinkler head, I don't need to argue with anyone about who is responsible. They also answer the phone and they have a website where you can request a service and they will respond. It is sad to say it, but, if you just answer the phone, you will be way ahead of half of your competition.
FYI If you apply pesticides or herbicides as a business you need to be licensed and trained on safety and use procedures. There is some liability if you apply these sprays and someone feels you damaged their lawn so he may want to stick to cutting the grass. Depending how big he wants his business to be Florida requires a business license. If he is only going to cut a small number of lawns it probably isn't a bad idea but if he gets large he may need a license and pay quarterly income tax.
Old 10-20-2022, 04:42 PM

He enjoys lawn work. Yes you read that correctly lol
Old 10-20-2022, 04:43 PM

Not doing any spraying bc he is aware. I also am buying liability ins if he gets any customers. Thank you
Old 10-20-2022, 04:45 PM
Default Lawn mowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crkt&RF View Post
Let me know if you do… 😊
6:45 is ridiculous. 8 am better.

We are in patio villas. We had a great guy but he raised everyone's price on this block his 3rd week in. He went from $45 to $60 and he determines when it will be cut. Many of us went somewhere else. Our yards are tiny, let's face it. So if you have 4 or 5 houses in a row it's obviously easier and faster.

I think fairness in price, good work, and reliable and yes many of us would entertain it.
Our guy leaving end of year.

Good luck.
Old 10-20-2022, 07:15 PM

I would hire him if he uses a push mower
Im tired of the tracks in the yard
Old 10-20-2022, 07:22 PM

Who do you use. Would like to get some one with a push mower business.
Closed Thread

Tags
mowing, push, service, asked, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.